Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Assorted Drabbles  by Forodwaith

(There are two versions of this one, poetry and prose. The challenge was to condense a chapter of The Two Towers into a drabble; the complete book, each chapter drabbled by a different writer, is available at this URL: http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?STID=2476)

The Riders of Rohan

Three hunters seek hobbits in harsh land of hills.
Road marked by riddles, lightly they run on Rohan's grass.
Bright leaf of Lorien leads them on;
The wizard's will wearies their hearts.
A red dawn rises, and Riders they find
with wary welcome for those the Wood has favoured.
Then swift is sword bared, sworn are oaths,
and great-hearted gift of horses by Eomer given.
At Fangorn's fell eaves are fire's ashes,
but no hope of hobbits. Have a care –
Cut no quick wood! Dwimmer-crafty old man
Haunts their fire, horses flee.
Alone, without allies, sleep is all they seek.

Riddles and eagles mark their road, and fallen leaf of Lorien. Through wide empty lands for three days they run, but find no hope. All choices go amiss, and the ill-will of Saruman wearies them.

A red dawn rises, and Riders they meet have little welcome for strangers. Then Anduril is drawn, and oaths are sworn to return the gift of horses, not given lightly by Eomer. Under forest eaves smoking ashes are seen, but no sign of hobbits.

A cloaked old man haunts their campfire, and the horses flee. Alone, in peril, there is naught to do but rest.


(Again, the challenge was to condense a chapter of The Return of the King into a drabble. The complete book is available at this URL: http://www.henneth-annun.net/stories/chapter.cfm?STID=2497)

Many Partings

Many rich gifts are given in memory, not least the fairest maid of Rohan. To the Ringbearer is granted a jewel for comfort when all seems dark, and passage West if he desires it.

But then come bitter partings; for the Morning is passing away, and the Evenstar will not shine forever. The world is changing. Some of the Fellowship may yet meet; but they shall not all be gathered together ever again.

The time has come to return home – at least for some, at least for now. Their story must be written, and then one last long journey made.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List