Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

For Folco  by Dreamflower

Disclaimer: Middle-earth and all its peoples belong to the Tolkien Estate. I do not own any of them. Some of them, however, seem to own me.

FOR FOLCO

PROLOGUE:

Estella Bolger waited on the landing at Bucklebury for the Ferry that would take her back to the East Farthing. The months she had spent here in Buckland with her best friend Melilot were among some of the grimmest and longest of her life.

Yet she was reluctant to go, now it came to it, and the reason stood tall and strong beside her.

“It’s a good thing you take after your mother’s side of the family,” teased Merry Brandybuck, a mischievous twinkle in his grey eyes. “We’d never get Fredegar anywhere near the Ferry, the way he feels about the River.”

Estella, who had been smiling up at the hobbit beside her felt her face fall at the mention of her dear brother. “He’s still afraid of the River, but he would not let it stop him from doing what needs to be done anymore.”

“Freddy’s a stout fellow, and a good friend,” replied Merry. “I was very proud of him for fighting the ruffians and standing up to them, though just a bit surprised. Your brother has always been so peaceable and easy-going.”

“It was bound to happen,” said Estella sadly, “after what happened with Folco.”

“Folco?” asked Merry, puzzled.

She looked up at him sharply, dismayed. “You don’t know!”

He glanced down at her stark face and realization dawned. “Oh no--” he breathed, stunned.

She nodded.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List