Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Of Webs and Wizards  by jenolas

Chapter 5.  The Impatienience of Youth

“Eeeep!”

His mother’s loud shriek of surprise from her bedchamber caused Estel to wake with a start.

“Caught you!”

He heard her shout gleefully as he sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes, his mind still cloudy with sleep confusing the sounds coming from his mother’s room next door with the misty memories of his dreams. One fact could not be denied, he was in his own bed, not on the hearthrug where he was certain he had fallen asleep the night before as he watched over the wounded rabbit.  He cast a glance across room not surprised to see the pillow and blanket that he had used as a makeshift bed were still there, but to his dismay he also saw that the rabbit’s basket had somehow toppled over. It was with some concern and much haste that he threw back the bedcovers and ran over to check the health of his patient, only to find that, unfortunately, the basket was no longer occupied. For a brief moment he wondered where the rabbit could have gone, until he heard his mother calling his name in a rather irate tone of voice.

 “ESTEL! I believe this creature belongs to you?” exclaimed Gilraen as she pushed open the door between their rooms and entered, carefully carrying the furry escapee. The child took the rabbit and placed it back into the basket, smiling at the two bright eyes that peered at him over the edge.  

“I am sorry, Mother,” he said as he knelt and fed the animal a few lembas crumbs, giggling as rabbit whiskers tickled the palm of his hand. “I was asleep, I do not know how he found his way into your room. I am sure he did not mean to scare you,” he added with an innocent smile. 

“He did not * scare * me, he just * surprised * me! I do not usually find such a creature trying to burrow into my slippers. I imagine he came through here,” she said pointing to the doorway through which she had just stepped. “I must not have closed it properly after Elrond put you to bed last night.” 

Estel smiled, pleased to learn that the hazy images that he had awoken to of being carried in strong, elvish arms and gently placed under the covers of his bed, followed by the comforting sensation of lips lightly brushing his forehead, were not simply the remnants of a dream, but had really happened.

“It is my opinion that if your patient is well enough to explore my rooms, he is well enough to be released back to the forest,” declared Gilraen. Knowing his mother was correct, but also wishing to keep the rabbit a little longer, Estel was reluctantly forced to make a choice. 

“I will take him back to the archery range with me later this morning,” he said, thinking that since that was where the rabbit was wounded, he probably had his burrow nearby. At least he would have him for a little longer. 

“That reminds me, I saw Glorfindel on his way to the dining hall earlier, and he asked that you meet him for your lesson immediately after breakfast; which is where we should be right now,” she added, reaching down to pick up both basket and its occupant. “I think that in order to prevent any further escapes, we should take the your friend with us.”

After breakfast, Glorfindel sought out Estel to accompany him to the archery range, the Elf lord offering to carry the basket so that Estel could hold the rabbit in his arms as they walked.

“I see that Gandalf has decided not to join us today,” commented Glorfindel as he watched Estel release the animal back into the wild. The rabbit began hopping away, but suddenly stopped to turn and twitch his ears as if in a gesture of thanks to Estel, before quickly disappearing amongst the long grass beneath the trees at the edge of the practice range. 

“According to Mother, he and father are discussing important matters in the library this morning,” explained the child as he fastened his quiver to his back in preparation for his lesson. “They said I can join them after the noon meal,” he added, his eyes alight with excitement and pride at being allowed such a privilege.

“Until then, I suggest you concentrate on your archery lessons, for I am certain there are other unwary rabbits nearby,” teased Glorfindel as he handed Estel one of the smaller bows.  

“I will not miss the target again,” stated Estel with an air of self-confidence that impressed the Elf lord. 

More impressive was the fact that his actions mirrored his words, and at the end of the lesson his arrows had hit the target every time. 

“Well done, Estel, you have the skill and determination to make an excellent archer. You certainly show more talent than either Elladan or Elrohir did when they were first learning to shoot,” said Glorfindel as they removed the arrows from the target. Estel beamed with delight at receiving such a compliment and hoped that Glorfindel might repeat it when the twins were listening. 

“How many more lessons will I need before I can go hunting?” asked Estel, frowning slightly as Glorfindel laughed at the eagerness of the child to grow up. 

“It is likely that several more years will pass before you are allowed that privilege,” he answered truthfully.  

“Oh,” responded Estel. It was not the answer he wanted to hear, and the sad droop of his shoulders spoke eloquently of his disappointment. 

                                          ******* 

Estel was also disappointed to find that neither Elrond nor Gandalf were attending the noon meal, and that his mother was busy elsewhere. Rather than eat alone, he grabbed a bread roll and an apple and hurried to the library.  

“Come in, Estel,” called Elrond, before the child even had a chance to knock on the door.  

“How did you know it was me?” he asked as he entered the room and moved over to sit beside Gandalf, who was studying a rather large map.

“There is no mistaking the sound of your footsteps running down the hallway. I have heard them so often that they are easily recognisable,” explained Elrond his eyes alight with mirth and raising his eyebrow in amusement as Gandalf pointed to the Elf lord’s ears.

“Oh, elvish hearing…. I forgot,” said Estel, nodding in understanding. 

“So, how are you enjoying your archery lessons?” asked Elrond as he returned his attention to the map that he was also studying. 

“I like Glorfindel, and the lessons, and today I hit the target every time!” he exclaimed proudly. 

“Perhaps Imladris will eventually have an archer capable of challenging Legolas of Mirkwood,” said Gandalf nonchalantly. “No insult intended to your archers, of course, Elrond,” he added. 

“None taken. There is no doubt that young Thranduilion is currently the most skilled Elven archer in either Mirkwood or Imladris, and possibly Lothlórien were he ever to attend a contest there,” admitted Elrond generously.

“I like Legolas,” said Estel suddenly, catching both Elrond and Gandalf by surprise. 

“Really? When did you meet him?” asked Gandalf curiously.

“When he came here last year, with some Elves who were travelling to the Havens,” answered Estel.

“Legolas and several other warriors were acting as escort for a group of his people who were joining some of their kinfolk from Imladris on their journey to Valinor.” Elrond clarified. “The warriors stayed here overnight before returning to Mirkwood.”

“Oh, I see. Why do you like him, Estel? Surely one brief meeting is not a sound basis on which to form an opinion?” asked Gandalf.

“It is for me! He let me sit next to him at the evening meal, and told me some stories about Elladan and Elrohir!” Estel explained. Elrond looked slightly alarmed at that last piece of information and Estel suddenly thought it may not be such a good idea to mention that the Mirkwood Elf had also helped him put pepper in his foster brother’s wine after they had teased him about still being a babe as far as they were concerned.

“Well, that certainly explains your instant friendship,” laughed Gandalf. “Now where we?” he muttered more to himself than his companions as he turned his attention back to the map.

“What is so interesting?” asked Estel, resting his elbows on the desk and peering at the parchment that was yellowing with age.

“Gandalf was showing me all the places he has visited since last he passed through Imladris,” said Elrond. “That is why we invited you here, for I was sure you would be interested in hearing a first hand description of far away places.”

“Yes please!” exclaimed Estel, his eyes bright with anticipation. The child listened, entranced as Gandalf told him tales of the many wonders he had seen as he travelled to such places as the grasslands of Rohan, the sea at Dol Amroth and the beauty of the White City. The wizard’s descriptions were so vivid, and were possessed of some mystical quality that allowed Estel to easily imagine he was seeing each place with his own eyes. The spell was broken when Gandalf finished speaking and Estel knew that one day, when he was grown up, he would travel to all those places and seek adventures just as the wizard had done.

“Where are you going to visit next?” asked Estel.

“First I intend to have some discussions with Thranduil in Mirkwood, then I head south to Lothlórien. It has been far too long since last I dined with the lovely Lady Galadriel and the Lord Celeborn,” he answered.

“Will you say hello to Legolas for me? I asked Elladan to, but he will probably forget,” said Estel, as a small sigh of exasperation escaped his lips.

“Yes. I will remember to pass on your greeting.”

“And will you tell him that as soon as Glorfindel says I am an archer I will visit him in Mirkwood, and challenge him to a contest?” asked the child eagerly.

“Yes, and I will also remember to issue your challenge,” replied Gandalf.

“You had better tell him it will not be for a few years yet though,” Estel added sadly. A few years was not a long time for an Elf, but it was a very long time for an impatient young man.

“You will grow up soon enough, Estel,” said Elrond, sensing the cause of his son’s sadness as he placed an affectionate arm around the small shoulders. “You should enjoy your childhood to the full. Do not be in such a hurry to meet your destiny.”

 

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List