Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Place for Gandalf  by Dreamflower

Monday, 26 Rethe, S.R. 1389 

Once more Bilbo shut the door to his study.

“So good of you to come, Mr. Grubb,” said Bilbo, “This fine young fellow here is my cousin Frodo. And of course, you know Mr. Brandybuck, who is Frodo’s other guardian.”

“I am pleased to meet you at last, Master Frodo; your cousin has told me a great deal about you. How do you feel about all this?”

Frodo blushed. When Bilbo and Saradoc had told him they wished him to be present as they talked with the lawyer, he had not thought he would have to say anything.

“Well, sir, I am pleased and excited, and a little bit nervous, too.”

Grubb laughed. “That is as it should be, lad. Now.” he turned his gaze to the adults, “I understand that he has a substantial inheritance already, from his parents?”

“Yes,” said Bilbo, “as you well know, Drogo and Primula left him well provided for.”

“Primula had a tidy sum in her own name, that would come to Frodo by rights,” said Saradoc. “It is kept in the strongroom at Brandy Hall, and has never been touched. His parents’ possessions and household goods are stored in one of the mathom rooms there, as well.”

Bilbo nodded. “And you, Mr. Grubb, are aware of his inheritance from Drogo; as far as I know it also remains intact, stored in your strongroom.”

The lawyer nodded. “Indeed it does.” For he had also been Drogo’s lawyer. “However, Bilbo, you must realize that once you have actually adopted Frodo, both those inheritances will pass into *your* hands as his parent, rather than merely his guardian. You will have complete control of it until he comes of age.”

Bilbo looked startled. “But I don’t want it! I want to provide for him myself.”

“Very well. We can draw up a separate document stating that the money and possessions of his parents will remain as they are until he comes of age and decides what he wants to do with it.”

Frodo listened wide-eyed. It had never occurred to him that he had a large inheritance from his parents, yet now he thought about it, it made sense. Primula had been Rory’s sister, after all, and no one ever heard of a Baggins that was not well off.

Embarrassed, he spoke hesitantly. “But--but don’t you think that maybe--maybe you should both have used some of that for my keep? I’m sure my parents would have wanted you to?”

Saradoc smiled. “It’s a credit to you to think of that, and perhaps you might be right. But it’s never been necessary.” The truth was, it had never occurred to Saradoc to use any of Frodo’s money. Living in Brandy Hall as they did, the family provided for its own as a matter of course.

Bilbo shook his head. “I want to provide for you, Frodo. However,” he smiled as an idea occurred to him, “if you would like it, we could arrange for you to draw a small sum from your father’s inheritance each year, that you could use to buy birthday and Yule gifts, and to treat your friends.” Perhaps that would be a good idea, the lad would learn how to manage his money that way.

Frodo grinned. “I would like that.”

Grubb nodded. “It can be arranged. I think, Bilbo, that it would be as well if Frodo’s inheritance were to become general knowledge. If everyone knew that Frodo was wealthy in his own right, it would put paid to a certain kind of unpleasant talk that is bound to arise.”

Frodo looked puzzled.

Saradoc sighed. “Certain people--I think you can guess who--may try to paint you as a fortune-hunter, trying to take advantage of your elderly relative in order to get his money.”

“That’s disgusting!” the tweenager exclaimed.

Bilbo laughed. “Yes. It is. But some people will say disgusting things, lad. Will you mind putting up with a bit of that for my sake?”

Frodo nodded solemnly. He’d no idea this adoption would be so complicated.

“Now,” said the lawyer, “we need to make arrangements for the seven witnesses and the red ink. I will be glad to draw all the needed documents up immediately. When do you wish to have the signing?”

Bilbo smiled. “I’d like to make an occasion of it. If we could do it the evening of this Highday, we could make a small party of it. That will give me time to issue invitations and collect the witnesses.”

“That sounds like a fine idea. I will see to it at once. I think that you are making a wise decision, Mr. Baggins, and that you have an excellent choice in your new heir.”

________________________________________  

While the business was being discussed in Bilbo’s study, in the front room, Mistress Salvia was taking a look at Merry’s hands.

“I think they have come along nicely, Mistress Esmeralda. If he will wear a pair of gloves, and wash his hands thoroughly several times a day, and re-apply the ointment each time, I believe he may be allowed to play outdoors again. I hate to keep little hobbits cooped up indoors when they might be better off getting some sunshine, fresh air and exercise.”

“Oh, Mum! Can I go out now and see Sam?”

“Do you have your gloves here, Merry?”

“You put them in my travelling case, Mum, but I haven’t worn them, it’s been too warm for that.”

“Well, put them on as Mistress Salvia says, and you may go out.”

Merry darted out the door and came to an abrupt halt.

“Oof,” he said, as he slammed into Gandalf’s knees. He looked up into the amused eyes of the Wizard.

Gandalf bent down, and lifted him up and up. “Good morning, Meriadoc. Are you quite all right?”

“Yes,” he squeaked, with a hint of panic in his eyes.

“Oh, I’m sorry, my lad. Is this a bit too high up for you?”

“Yes,” said Merry, but even as he said it, he looked into the kind, wise eyes, and felt much less frightened.

Gandalf sat down on the bench by the front door. It was a bit low for him, but he managed. He sat Merry on his knee. “Is this better now, Meriadoc?”

“Umm-hmm” the little hobbit nodded. It was much, much better. “I guess it is silly to be frightened of being high up,” he said, hanging his head.

“Not at all, Meriadoc. It is perfectly natural. You are a hobbit, and hobbits are generally not fond of being high up.”

“Frodo doesn’t mind.” He leaned towards Gandalf’s ear and whispered “Frodo climbs trees! He’s most awfully brave.”

“I’m sure that Frodo is brave. But as to climbing trees, I think perhaps that is his Tookishness coming out. He has a great deal of Took in him, does he not?”

“Well, yes. But my Mum’s a Took!”

“Ah, so she is. But I think, Meriadoc, that you must take mostly after the Brandybucks. I daresay you swim like a fish.”

Merry giggled. “That’s what Grandda Rory always says.”

Just then, they saw Gaffer Gamgee come around the side of the smial with a barrow full of mulch.

“Hullo, Gaffer,” chirped Merry from his perch on the Wizard’s knee. “Where’s Sam?”

“Good morning, Master Hamfast,” said Gandalf with a twinkle in his eye.

“Good day to ye,” said the gardener, without looking. He was of two minds about the Wizard. On the one hand, he didn’t hold with Wizards and such, as lured hobbits off on adventures and made their unpleasant relations say they was dead. On the other hand, Gandalf had always been fair-spoken to him, and Mr. Bilbo was right fond of the old Wizard. Imagine making that fancy new room just for him!

“Where’s Sam?” repeated Merry, looking around to try and spot his friend.

“His ma needed him to home this morning. She’s doing her spring cleaning and she wanted him to watch Marigold.”

“Oh.”

Merry looked so disappointed that the Gaffer said “Mayhap they can come up after lunch.” He began to spread the mulch on one of the flower beds.

“Can I help?” asked Merry. Since Sam was not there, maybe Gaffer would let him help.

“Now, Master Merry, that would not be proper. But you can watch.”

Frodo had told Merry that sometimes the Gaffer would let him help, as long as he called it “watching” and not “helping“. Merry squirmed a bit, and with a chuckle, the Wizard set him down.

The door to the smial opened, and Balin came out. “Balin,” said Gandalf, “you are looking a bit thoughtful this morning.”

“Well, Gandalf,” said the Dwarf, as he sat upon the bench next to the Wizard, “as you know, I had hopes of interesting Bilbo in joining me on my venture this year. I thought perhaps he would have become bored enough here in the Shire to be ready for another small adventure, and he would have made a most useful scout, with his particular skills. But since he is taking on the responsibility of young Frodo, I can’t see him wishing to leave right now.”

“No, Balin, I can’t see him doing so either. I do believe he will get restless again sooner or later, but not right now. Being a parent is going to be quite an adventure in itself.”

“I know.” But the Dwarf sighed. “Still, as glad as I am to see him, I would not have gone so far out of my way if I had not really hoped to enlist his help.”

“Balin, I have told you that I think this ill-advised. The time is not yet right to re-establish Moria. This is bound to be more than just a small adventure, and far more dangerous than you anticipate.”

“I know what you think,” he replied testily. “But if not now, when? With the Orcs mostly destroyed by the Battle of Five Armies, the Misty Mountains are safer now than they have been in generations.”

The Wizard sighed. He’d had this argument with the stubborn Dwarf more than once. It wouldn’t do to have it again; it got nowhere. He just hoped that he was wrong.

______________________________________________

Esmeralda was sitting in the front room mending the shirt Merry had been wearing when Lotho had pushed him. She was still more than a little indignant over the injury done her son, and hoped she got the chance to give Lobelia a piece of her mind before they returned to Buckland. She chuckled as she thought of Frodo giving the great bully a bloody nose.

Saradoc and Frodo came out of Bilbo’s study, shutting the door behind them. Bilbo and his lawyer still had a bit more business to conduct.

“How did it go?”

“Quite well,” said Saradoc.

“It’s a lot more complicated than I thought it would be,” sighed Frodo. “Where is Merry?”

“The healer said he could go outside and play as long as he keeps his hands covered.”

Frodo brightened up, and went out.

___________________________________________________

“Now, Mr. Grubb, one more important piece of business: my will.”

“Indeed. That is a very important piece of business, and I am glad that you are finally ready to make your disposition.”

“It’s very simple: everything to Frodo. Every last copper, and everything in Bag End, down to the last dishcloth.”

“Well, that makes it easy for me.”

“One more thing: I want the will to go into effect if I should leave the Shire. I do not want to have any such difficulties as I had the last time I took a journey.”

“Mr. Baggins! Are you anticipating any such thing? Because I must tell you that it would be most unfair to the lad to do that to him now!”

“No, no! I have not made any plans to leave. But I also know that the unexpected can come up, and in this event, I wish to be prepared and not caught off guard.”

Grubb nodded. Very wise. Anticipating the unexpected was just what a will was for.

“Well, then, I shall get these documents drawn up: the adoption papers, the document securing Frodo’s inheritance from Drogo and Primula, and your will. I shall have them ready for you by noon on Highday. I look forward to seeing you then. Have you decided whom you will invite to be witnesses?”

“Yes, I have. I will send the invitations out this very afternoon.”

_____________________________________________________________

Frodo and Merry played Stones until time for luncheon. After a lovely luncheon, eaten in the dining room for once, because of so much company, they went back outside.

True to his word, the Gaffer had brought Sam and little Marigold with him. Sam was overjoyed to see Merry allowed outside again. Frodo put little Mari up on his back for a piggyback ride, and the four youngsters headed up the hill. They chased one another about until they were breathless, and then they flopped down under a tree and Frodo told stories.

Marigold dozed off by his side, and Sam and Merry took sticks for swords and played at fighting goblins, taking it in turns to pretend which was the goblin and which was Bilbo.

Then Frodo told them some more stories, until the Gaffer came to fetch his children home, and Merry and Frodo went down to tea.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List