Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

Disclaimer: Much is borrowed from Tolkien; the rest is the product of my imagination.

A/N: This story takes place several years before From Princeling to Warrior and is a much lighter piece than my other two stories. I will try to add a bit of excitement here and there but it is meant to be a piece of mindless reading that hopefully will provoke a smile or two.

Ch. 1 Restlessness

"When will you be back, Salque?" Legolas asked as he poked repeatedly with his foot at the other elf's pack.

"I do not know, Legolas. I have not visited my daughter for far too long. Now that I am to be a grandfather, she will ensure that my visit will not be a short one." The older warrior smiled, his eyes glowing with renewed happiness. "I too would like to take the time to get to know my grandchild. I have been many things, but never a grandada."

Legolas peered up at Salque, marvelling at the joy that was positively radiating from the older elf's face. He had never seen Salque so happy and a part of him shared the other's exultation, but another part of him selfishly lamented the fact that his constant companion was about to abandon him. Life promised to be very dull and tedious in the days to come.

"Can I not go with you?" he asked hopefully, schooling his face to take on a look of desperate longing that he knew would pull at the older elf's heartstrings. It had always worked in the past.

"Now Legolas, Salque is going to visit with his daughter, and soon to be grandchild. He does not need you tagging along for distraction. He has already devoted far too many of his waking hours to looking after your wellbeing. It is time that he looks after his own family for a change. This leave has been too long in coming as it is." Thranduil looked at his son with what he hoped was sufficient paternal sternness. "And very much well-deserved, I might add."

Legolas lowered his gaze and once more nudged Salque's pack with his foot. "Yes, Adar."

Salque looked at the downcast fair head of the young elf and felt his heart tightened with a familiar pang. He was already beginning to miss the youngling, and he had not even left yet.

He laid a gentle hand on the slouched shoulder. "Legolas, I will be back soon. I promise."

"Salque, you will take as long as you need. Do not cut short your visit on account of Legolas. He will be fine," Thranduil said.

"I will be a prisoner behind these walls," Legolas muttered under his breath.

"Legolas," the King admonished warningly.

"I am sorry, Adar," his son said grudgingly as he threw the King a sideways glance.

He certainly did not look sorry, Thranduil noted with inward amusement, but the thought of the days ahead with a restless Legolas sobered him almost immediately. Legolas was not the only one reluctant to see Salque go. Without the trustworthy presence of this warrior, the responsibility of keeping the young one out of mischief would fall directly on his shoulder, and the thought instilled a sense of unease within the King that was growing by the minute. With a determined intake of breath, Thranduil pushed aside the nervous apprehension. "Salque, you should be on your way before the hour grows late."

The other elf nodded, and saluted the King. "With your leave, my lord."

"Have a safe journey, my friend. And give my blessings to your daughter and her little one." The King clasped the other's shoulders briefly.

Salque then turned to the rather forlorn looking Legolas who was staring down at his own feet with questionable fascination.

"Will you not bid me good-by, Legolas?" the seasoned warrior asked the youngling.

Legolas looked up and made a valiant attempt to smile. "Good-by, Salque. I will miss you."

The older elf drew him into an embrace. "I will miss you too, little one. Promise me that you will behave and not give cause for your adar to worry."

Legolas pulled back from the other's hold, looking rather offended. "But I always behave, only sometimes things do not turn out as planned."

Salque looked above the fair head to the King, and had to suppress a hoot of laughter at the expression on his liege's face. He was certainly going to miss Legolas, but he doubted that he would miss the heart-clenching fear that the youngling was so capable of arousing with such distressing regularity, whether intentionally or not. The King was correct. This leave of absence had been long in coming.

He bent down and kissed the golden head. "Good-bye, Legolas. Take care of your adar and brothers while I am gone."

Legolas nodded, the blue eyes looking suspiciously wet. Salque picked up his pack and once more saluted the King. "Good-bye, my lord."

Thranduil nodded. "Good-bye, Salque."

The King and his youngest son watched as the seasoned warrior mounted the waiting horse, and with one final wave, urged the steed into a quick cantor, disappearing down the well-trodden path in a cloud of dust.

Thranduil turned and watched his son, who, with a most determined scowl on the young face, was looking decidedly unhappy. With an inward sigh, the King drew the young elf to him. "Come, Legolas. Let us go inside."

"Will he be back in two weeks?" Legolas asked as he dragged his feet along side of his adar. Two weeks seemed an infinitely long time.

"Two weeks will not nearly be long enough for a visit such as this. Salque is to be a grandfather, a joy second only to becoming a father." Thranduil had to suppress a smile at the near traumatized look on Legolas' face as he reacted to his words. "I would be surprised if he returned within the month."

Indeed, the King thought, the birth of a new elfling in Mirkwood had become such a rare event in these troubled times that it was cause for celebration by all, and not merely by the immediate family members of the newborn only.

"A month! But that is forever!" Legolas cried.

If a month was forever, then there were serious concerns indeed for the immortality of elves, the King thought wryly. He laid a gentle hand on his son's shoulder. "It may seem long now, but it will pass before you know it."

Legolas shook his head, looking clearly distressed. "But what will I do all this time?"

The King regarded his youngest son calmly. "You will continue your studies with your tutors and your training with your weapon masters. I will ensure that your days are filled."

Legolas was mortified. He was certain that his father's idea of a filled day would not be a day of excitement, for the King was far less indulgent than Salque in keeping boredom at bay. His father had no aversion to saying no to him, while Salque, he knew, probably wished he was more capable of saying no to his young charge.

Thranduil saw the stricken look on his young son's face and ruthlessly smothered a chuckle. He supposed it was probably not a good idea to frighten the elfling with promises of boredom, as no doubt that would only spur the child on in his tireless search for excitement. He must alert the palace guards to be extra vigilant, for there was no doubt in Thranduil's mind that his son would test the boundaries of his freedom in the most creative ways in the days to come. The King also pondered as to which unfortunate soul he should assign to watch over his youngest until such time that Salque returned. Perhaps Aldeon may be persuaded to take time from helping the King to govern Mirkwood to helping his adar to govern his little brother instead. Thranduil brightened visibly at the thought. Perhaps he needed not to take on a restless Legolas by himself after all.

"Adar, is something the matter? Your face looks -- funny." The voice of his son drew him back to reality.

"No, nothing is the matter, Legolas. I was merely thinking how best to rule my subjects and keep them happy," Thranduil said and was rather gratified that he did not have to lie to his son.

"Oh, that is easy," Legolas said brightly. "Tavaro says that all you have to do is nod and look sympathetic when you listen to the petitioners, and then they will go away happy."

"Is that what Tavaro said? I am afraid your brother has simplified things a little too much." The King regarded his youngest with a raised brow. "Is it not time for your lessons?"

"Adar, can I not go to them for one day?"

"Legolas, I agreed that you may be late for your lessons today so that you could say good-by to Salque, but I did not agree to your foregoing your lessons for the day. Come, I will walk you to the library. Your tutor is waiting."

"Will you go riding with me after my weapons training today?" Legolas was not ready to give up the slightest prospect of a distraction in what was otherwise going to be a very dull day.

"We will see when you are finished training." Thranduil, on the other hand, was not ready to give a promise that he may not be able to keep, not because he did not wish to spend time with his son, but because the demands on a king were nearly endless. Seeing the downcast look on Legolas' face, he added. "It will all depend on how well I nod and look sympathetic when I listen to the petitioners. Let us both go and work hard and perhaps we may have time to ride later on today."

They stopped before the door to the library and Thranduil patted his son on the shoulder. "I will see you later, Legolas."

"Yes, Adar," Legolas said rather forlornly and pushed opened the library door with the greatest reluctance.

The King watched his youngest son slip in behind the heavy doors before making his own way to the Throne Room. He very much hoped that he could take Legolas riding, as it would do both of them good to do so. But first, he must speak to Aldeon.


*****

"You cannot go in, Prince Legolas. The King is still in council," the palace guard said as he stood firmly before the tightly closed doors.

Legolas frowned. "When will he be finished?"

"I do not know. I will advise him that you are looking for him when he comes out," the guard offered.

"Thank you," Legolas nodded and turned away dejectedly.

There was going to be no riding with his adar today, he thought gloomily as he dragged his feet along the corridor. His spirits sank further as he thought of the days to come. Without Salque by his side, there were very few places where he was allowed to venture on his own. Anywhere beyond the outer walls was deemed too dangerous for him to be roving about unescorted.

It seemed vastly unfair. Cottages dotted the area beyond the perimeters of the outer walls, and their inhabitants did not appear to be living in fear of any imminent danger. Did his father think that any menace beyond these walls would single him out as target while all around him others carried on unmolested? He did not think that the cottagers would stand by idly if he were to be picked off by a spider or an orc, not that spiders or orcs were foolish enough to venture so close to the King's stronghold. Which was, Legolas thought, really unfortunate. It would be so much more exciting to fight these dreaded creatures personally than to listen to others recount tales of their fearsomeness. Legolas was certain that he must the only elf in all of Mirkwood to have never seen a spider or an orc, and he was a Prince of Mirkwood whose duty was to defend his people against these vile beings.

He really must speak to his adar about these unfair rules. His father was so maddeningly overprotective sometimes. Actually, his father was maddeningly overprotective ALL the time, he corrected himself in frustration.

He suddenly realized he was heading in the direction of the stables in his restless wandering. I will visit with Hwesta, he thought, even if I cannot ride him today. Hwesta was a gift from his adar earlier this year to replace the pony that he had long since outgrown. He had bonded immediately with the spirited black stallion and thought Hwesta the only creature in Mirkwood who understood the frustration of his sheltered life. Indeed, there were times that Legolas could sense the same frustration in his faithful friend and he longed for the day that he and Hwesta could ride like the wind through the woods, leaving behind those invisible chains that had so held them back.

As if he could sense the nearness of his master, Hwesta was already neighing in joyful greeting before Legolas set foot in the stable where the horse was held.

Legolas laughed out loud. "Yes, my friend, I am here." He continued to laugh in delight as the horse nudged his velvety nose into his master's tunic, looking for treats. "I am sorry, Hwesta, but I do not have anything for you. I had not planned on coming here so I did not stop by the kitchen. I promise I will bring twice the treats next time." He rubbed the soft nose fondly. "I know. You miss your apples. I miss them too, but it has been a long winter and I am afraid we will not be having them any time soon. But the air is warmer and the trees are beginning to bud. We will just have to be patient."

The black stallion moved restlessly within the stall, its front hoof pawing at the packed earth of the ground with eager anticipation.

"Do you wish to go outside too? So do I, but Adar is busy and Salque has gone away to visit his daughter. There is no one to accompany us." Legolas ran his hand through the silky mane soothingly, trying to calm his restless friend. But Hwesta snorted loudly and pulled away from his touch.

"All right, you are determined to go outside. I guess I will have to take you before you do something foolish and hurt yourself. Come along, then."

As soon as they stepped into the open air, one of the stable grooms approached them. "Prince Legolas, is something wrong? May I be of assistance?"

"Nothing s wrong, but he is restless. He needs exercise."

"I have already walked him today."

"Well, I guess he needs more exercise, as do I. I will take him out for a little while."

The groom looked about nervously. "By yourself? I can take him out if he is restless," the groom offered.

"I will not go far," Legolas promised, leaping nimbly onto Hwesta. "We will be back before you know it. Do not concern yourself. We will be fine." Even before the other elf could further protest, the stallion had already sensed his master's silent command and broke into a cantor.

It was good to be out in the warm spring air, but Legolas could feel the nervous energy of his mount gaining momentum even as they trotted along the now empty training fields. He looked in the direction of the outer gate and thought longingly of the woods beyond. He could almost hear the trees calling out to him. Even before he realized what he was doing, horse and elf were heading directly for the outer gate.

The guards greeted him with uncertainty. "Prince Legolas,"

He returned their greeting rather solemnly and addressed them with what he hoped to be complete self-assuredness. "I need to take Hwesta out for a ride as he is very restless. I will not venture far and will be back within the hour."

"By yourself?" one of the guards asked, eyeing his companion with uncertainty.

Why was it that nobody thought him capable of doing anything on his own, Legolas fumed irritably. "Yes, by myself. Even though I do not think there will be any danger at all, I will stay on the main path and within screaming distance of the cottages."

The two guards looked at each other with even greater uncertainty. "I think one of us should accompany you, just to be certain," the same guard spoke again.

"And leave your post guarding the gate? I do not think my adar will approve of that. Besides, I will not be alone. There will be others out there." And before either of them could say anything further, Hwesta once again obeyed his silent command and sprinted forward. The two guards watched the departing cloud of dust in nervous dismay.

"Should we not go after him? He really should not be out there alone," one of the guards asked the other hesitantly.

The other elf shrugged. "He will not be happy if we force ourselves on him."

"On the other hand, the King will be extremely unhappy if anything happens to his youngest. I am not certain whether I am ready to go to the Halls of Mandos yet."

Only after a brief hesitation, the other nodded in resignation. "You are right. I will go after him, but I will need to get my horse first. I will send another to take my post here."

His companion looked visibly relieved that he would not be the one to go after the young prince. "I hope he will not give you trouble."

The other looked grim. "That is my hope too. Ai, I wish Salque had taken the young prince with him."

The other elf could only nod in silent sympathy.


TBC

*******





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List