Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 6 A New Friend

Tavaro had to suppress a smile as he watched his young brother trying to take in everything and everyone at the settlement all at once. The young elf's head was snapping back and forth at such brisk intervals that it was a wonder that his neck had not yet become disjointed. In between greetings to the settlement elves, Tavaro was attempting to pass on snippets of information about the settlement to his young brother, but he doubted much was penetrating the haze of wonderment that obviously had Legolas in its firm grasp.

"Why do they address you as Tavaro, and not as Lord Tavaro?" Legolas suddenly asked.

Tavaro grinned. "Because in this settlement, I am just Tavaro, not Lord Tavaro, not Prince Tavaro nor the son of Thranduil. Here I am merely the friend of Herendil."

"Oh." There was a frown on Legolas' face as he tried to decipher his brother's words.

Tavaro laughed. "Sometimes it is nice to be accepted for myself only and be treated as such, and not as my relation to anything or anyone else."

"But I am still your brother," Legolas asked with some alarm. "Am I not, even here?"

Tavaro could not help but laugh again. "Of course you are, even here."

Legolas looked relieved and then asked, "People are staring at me. Why?"

"They have not seen you here before and are wondering who you might be. Fret not, they will all know you soon enough and they will all welcome you. This is a very closely knitted settlement. They all treat one another like family here. You will see." Suddenly Tavaro let out a cry and was off his mount in a flash. Legolas turned just in time to see his brother being caught in a fierce embrace by another elf.

"Tavaro! By the Valar! I had not known that you were coming!" The newcomer cried as he pulled back briefly to look at Tavaro. "This is such a joyous surprise!"

Legolas dismounted and edged closer to his brother who clearly seemed to have forgotten his presence. The elf who had embraced Tavaro so fiercely was now looking at him with widened eyes.

"And who is this, Tavaro? Not your son?"

Tavaro laughed loudly and took at swipe at the other elf. "My son, Herendil? I have not yet bonded so how can I possibly have a son? This is Legolas. Can you not recognize him?"

"Legolas? He was but a babe when I last saw him!"

Still laughing, Tavaro drew Legolas to his side. "Come Legolas and say hello to Herendil. You will not remember, but Herendil had held you often enough in his arms when you were but a wee elfling."

"Hello," Legolas greeted the other elf obediently.

Herendil laughed delightfully and pulled him into an embrace. "Little Legolas, nearly all grown up. Tavaro, I suddenly feel very old. And who are your other companions?"

"This is Baragallon and this is Aradun. My adar wanted extra sets of eyes to keep watch over Legolas."

"You are all welcome. Come, let us seek out Vanye. She will be so happy to learn of your arrival. And Legolas, my son, Roitar, will be thrilled to meet you. You two must be of an age."

Legolas perked up at the other's words. "I am looking forward to meet him as well. It will be nice to be with someone my age."

Tavaro looked at his friend and winked. "Let us hope that Legolas and Roitar together will not be quite the handful as we once were when we were at their age, or Baragallon and Aradun will certainly have their work cut out for them for the duration of our stay."

Herendil laughed. "Fear not, Tavaro, for I doubt few can match our standards."

"That was what my adar thought too until Legolas came along," Tavaro grinned. "I fear my young brother has raised the standards far beyond what we have set."

"Tavaro!" Legolas protested, though deep down he thought his brother's words were a compliment.

Herendil regarded the young elf with new respect. "This I will have to see for myself. Come, you are in time for the midday meal, and this is certainly cause for celebration over a nice goblet of wine."

"My adar has sent some of his finest vintage for this occasion," Tavaro said with a broad smile.

Herendil's face brightened impossibly. "Hush, Tavaro, not so loud. I may be generous with many things, but not so when it comes to the King's fine vintage. I have no desire to share what you have brought with others."

Tavaro laughed. "Some things will never change. Come along, Legolas. You will pretend that you did not hear Herendil's selfish words."

Legolas looked first at his brother and then at his brother's friend and grinned. This was going to be a very nice visit indeed.

"Vanye! Come see who is here!" Herendil called out immediately as they stepped inside the spacious cottage. "Vanye!"

"Herendil, must you shout so? I am not on the other side of Arda and my ears have not lost their function since you last spoke to me. Oh, Tavaro!" An elf with an abundance of dark auburn hair strolled into the main room. Her calm, measured tone ended in a near squeal as she caught sight of the visitors.

"Vanye!" Tavaro caught the newly arrived elf into his arms and swung her around joyously before planting a kiss on her milky cheek. "Vanye, I swear you grow more beautiful each time I see you. Come and run away with me and leave this troll of your husband."

Musical laughter rang out as the newly arrived elf planted her own firm kiss on Tavaro's cheek. "Oh, Tavaro! What a wonderful surprise! You did not tell us that you were coming."

Tavaro grinned. "Like you have said, I wanted this to be a wonderful surprise. I was given unexpected leave, so here I am."

"This is truly wonderful, is it not, Herendil? It has been far too long since you last visited us, Tavaro. I thought you have forgotten about us."

"How can I forget about a beautiful elf as yourself?" Tavaro asked with a smile.

There was a flush of colour in the other's face. "Tavaro, you can charm the stars from the sky."

Tavaro laughed and drew Legolas forward. "I brought someone with me this time. This is Legolas. I do not believe you have met him before. Legolas, say hello to Vanye."

Legolas smiled at the elf before him and bowed slightly. "Hello, I am pleased to meet you."

The other elf smiled and touched his face briefly. "So you are Legolas. I have heard much about you. Welcome. Roitar will be very happy to meet you."

"Where is that son of ours?" Herendil asked, looking around.

"He is out in the garden. Go and tell him to come in, Herendil," Vanye said. "I must go and finish with the midday meal. Oh, here he is. Come, Roitar and greet our visitors."

Legolas turned quickly to face the newcomer, curiosity and eagerness abound in his heart. He saw a dark haired elf who was perhaps an inch or so shorter than him but sturdier in build, staring at him with solemn dark eyes. Legolas smiled and stepped forward.

"Hello, you must be Roitar. I am Legolas. I have been very anxious to meet you since my brother told me about you."

The other elf looked at him almost shyly and whispered a hello that was barely audible.

Vanye laid an arm across her son's shoulder. "Roitar is not accustomed to meeting strangers, especially one who is of a similar age. Roitar, this is Tavaro, our very dear friend and Legolas is his brother. They are here to visit us."

Tavaro knelt down before the dark haired elfling and smiled. "So you are Roitar. I was here when you were born and was one of the first to ever to hold you in my arms."

The young elf smiled back shyly. "My adar and naneth speak of you often. I am glad to finally meet you."

Tavaro nodded and drew Legolas to him. "Legolas is a stranger to these parts of Mirkwood. Will you look after him for me while we are here?"

Roitar nodded solemnly. "I will look after him. You need not to worry."

"Tavaro, I do not need looking after," Legolas protested.

Tavaro looked from one youngling to the other. "You will look after each other. Is that fair?"

"I do not know about looking after each other, but I am certainly glad to have a companion of my own age to play with," Legolas said quickly, smiling at Roitar.

The other smiled back, if a little reservedly.

"I believe Legolas must be just a bit older than Roitar as he was already born when Vanye and I bonded, "Herendil said as he watched the two elflings.

Legolas looked up quickly. "I am older?" The blue eyes widened impossibly, as did the smile of delight. "I have never been older than anyone before."

At which, the others burst out laughing. Tavaro ruffled his brother's hair fondly. "Then I would advise that you set an example for Roitar as you are his elder.""

Legolas grinned. "I shall teach him all that I know."

Tavaro winced as he looked at his friends. "You have now been formally warned by my brother. I shall not be held accountable for whatever mishap your son might fall into from this moment on."

Herendil laughed. "We shall debate the issue of accountability when the need arises, but right now, let us eat. Where are Baragallon and Aradun?"

"They are no doubt keeping watch outside to ensure that no danger befalls the occupants of this cottage. They take their responsibility very seriously as they are members of my adar's personal guards."

"Your adar must think danger abounds in theses parts to send his own personal guards for your protection." Herendil arched a brow. "Well, duty or not, they must eat as well. Surely they will join us for the midday meal?"

"I will bring them in," Legolas offered quickly. "They will not say no to me."

Tavaro looked at his friend and grinned. "Very few people can say no to Legolas. And there lies the danger." Even as he spoke, Legolas was already returning with the two guards in tow. Watching the pliant demeanor of the two warriors as they catered to Legolas' bidding, Tavaro wondered if his young brother should not join Feren as co-commander of the King's troops.

The meal was a joyous affair and the food, though simple, was plentiful, as was the wine. It soon became apparent as the meal stretched on that the two younglings were growing restless with the incessant reminiscing of the older elves and Roitar was dispatched by his parents to show his young guest the sites of the settlement.

Herendil watched the two younglings make their escape from the table, trailed by Baragallon and Aradun, and turned to Tavaro with a smile. "I hardly think a trek through the settlement merits the protection of two of the King's very own guards."

Tavaro shrugged. "My adar has probably threatened them with a fate worse than death should Legolas come to harm in their care. At first they attempted to include me in their sphere of protection, until I enlightened them with a show of my fearsome ability as a warrior."

"You single handedly defeated an army of orcs before their very eyes?" Herendil asked with a grin.

"There were no orcs about, so I single handedly shot down two scrawny rabbits instead," Tavaro said, laughing. "Legolas enjoyed the rabbits very much, at least."

Herendil laughingly thumped him on the back. "I do miss our days together, Tavaro."

"Yes, life on patrol has become very dull since you left," Tavaro said mournfully. "Very dull. I do not suppose you harbour any desire to come back?"

"No, he does not," Vanye said quickly. "Our life is very peaceful here and I intend that it remains so."

Herendil looked at Tavaro and shrugged helplessly.

Tavaro smiled wistfully as he regarded his two friends. "You would be a fool if you desire to return to patrol life and give up what you have here, Herendil."

Herendil felt a flash of sympathy for his friend and not for the first time, was thankful that he was not a Prince of Mirkwood. Being the son of the King meant, among other things, that one could not veer far, if at all, from the path of duty and responsibility.

Tavaro saw the look on his friend's face and understood it for what it was. "Fret not for me, Herendil. As much as I envy you, I would miss the excitement of hunting down orcs more. I would not be satisfied living a peaceful life as you do here."

"No, I doubt that you would be," Herendil nodded knowingly.

Tavaro suddenly smiled brightly. "Now that Legolas and I are here, I fear your peaceful life will be sorely threatened."

Herendil laughed. "I will hold you to that promise."

xxxx

"We are being followed," Roitar whispered as he glanced back briefly at the two warriors shadowing their trail.

"You need not be concerned with them. They only seek to protect us from danger," Legolas said.

"But we are merely walking. What danger can there be?"

"You mean you are free to wander as you please, on your own?" Legolas asked incredulously.

"As long as I do not venture far, yes. Why, are you not permitted to do so?" Roitar asked in surprise.

"If it were possible, my adar would have someone sleep with me," Legolas said, rolling his eyes. "He believes me to be an elfling still, unable to fend for myself at all."

"My adar has told me that there are evil creatures dwelling in the woods to the south," Roitar glanced at his companion. "Orcs and spiders. Is that why you are guarded all the time?"

"My adar tells me the same thing, though I have yet to see an orc or a spider," Legolas said.

"Oh."

Not wanting to disappoint his companion completely, Legolas quickly added, "My brothers fight orcs and spiders all the time and they tell me some of their battles. Just before we came here, Tavaro was injured by an orc. The cut on his arm was this long and there were lots of stitches."

Roitar's was clearly impressed. "Was there a lot of blood?"

"I am sure there was," Legolas said thoughtfully. "Though the cut was mostly healed by the time he came home. We can probably ask him to show it to us later on."

Roitar nodded enthusiastically. "Will he do that?"

Legolas smiled. "I am sure he will. Tavaro is easier that way than my other brothers."

"How many brothers do you have?"

"Three. There is Aldeon, Feren and then Tavaro," Legolas said.

"I wish I have brothers," Roitar said wistfully.

"Feren and Tavaro are rarely home. They are always on patrol. And Aldeon is busy helping my adar," Legolas said with a frown. "Sometimes it feels like I do not have brothers at all."

"Your adar is the King," Roitar said with sudden realization. He looked at Legolas with a mixture of awe and trepidation. "You and your brother are princes. Should I not be addressing you as Prince Legolas?"

Legolas blinked and suddenly remembered his brother's earlier words. "No, while I am here, I am only Legolas." Then he added, with infinite wisdom. "It is nice just to be Legolas." He did not see the half-suppressed smiles on the faces of Baragallon and Aradun.

Roitar was frowning. "I do not understand what you mean. If you are not Legolas, then who else can you be?"

Legolas, unfortunately, did not quite understand it himself but he certainly was not about to admit to such ignorance before someone his junior. He shook his head. "It matters not if you do not understand. Just call me Legolas. Your adar calls my brother by name and they are friends. Friends call each other by name, not by their titles. And we are friends, are we not?"

Roitar smiled broadly. "Yes, we are. Friends. I like that. I am glad you have come to visit, Legolas."

Legolas grinned at the other elf. "I am glad to be here. Now, you must show me all the places that we can explore."


TBC






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List