Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Light Out of Darkness  by shirebound

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

LIGHT OUT OF DARKNESS

Chapter 5 -- West of Moria, September 5

The hobbits could see the starlight glimmering on their hair and in their eyes.  They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet.  The Fellowship of the Ring, ‘Three is Company’

 

Isengard was now two weeks’ travel behind them, and the camp slept under a canopy of stars.  It was the singing that drew Frodo from his bedroll, in search of the sound; a delicate, yet powerful melody had woven through his dreams until he awakened, hungry to find the source.  Somehow he knew to follow a faint path through the trees until he saw, standing in an open glade, the Lady Galadriel.  She was alone, her arms reaching upwards, and she sang to the glittering stars.

Unaware of the passage of time, Frodo stood spellbound until Galadriel grew silent, the eastern sky slowly lightening as dawn drew near.  The Lady turned to the hobbit and beckoned for him to approach.

“I did not mean to listen, Lady,” Frodo said as he came to her side.  “I could not help myself.”

“Sit and greet the new day with me.”  Galadriel gracefully lowered herself to the soft grass, and Frodo sat beside her.  He followed her gaze toward the stars shining brilliantly above them.  Always the Elves looked to the stars.

“It is said among us that Elbereth gathered up light from the Two Trees, and flung it outwards,” the Lady spoke softly.  “Thus were the stars kindled and set as jewels above.  We praise her kindness, in giving us the stars to light our way in the pathless places.  We believe that our songs are heard, and that she somehow knows that we honor her.”

“Elbereth.”  Frodo whispered the name most beloved of the Elves.  “Did you ever meet her?”

Galadriel couldn’t help smiling at the question.  “I do not know of anyone who has ‘met' her, Frodo.  It is said that her beauty is unsurpassed.  The light of Ilúvatar shines from her face, and cannot be borne by those who are not of the Valar.”

“If no one has ever met her,” Frodo said reasonably, “how does anyone know what she looks like?”

“If you choose to sail with us, perhaps one day you will have an answer to your question.”

Frodo stared at her, puzzled.  “Us?  Forgive me, Lady, but I was taught that the Noldor were... exiled here.  Are you now free to leave Middle-earth?”

“Yes.  Thanks, in no small part, to you.”

“I do not understand.”

Galadriel took Frodo’s small hands in her own.  “Tell me, Frodo... what did you hear in my song?”

“Joy.”  Frodo had not fully understood the words, but the feeling of the song was undeniable.  “I did not know that Elves could sing that way.  Most of the songs I heard in Rivendell, while beautiful, were full of longing for what was, or what may yet be.  But you...” he sighed happily.  “You sang of joy, and a heart’s desire fulfilled.”

“You heard clearly,” Galadriel said with a smile.  “I am going home.  Soon I will sail West, and once again see the Undying Lands.  It has been... a very long time.”

“That is wonderful, Lady.  But why do you say that I had some part in this?”

Galadriel looked deeply into the hobbit’s eyes.  “When you offered me the Ring, and I refused, do you remember what I said?”

“Yes,” Frodo replied.  “You said, ‘I pass the test’.”

The Lady nodded.  “That night, after we parted, I heard the stars rejoicing, and my heart sang with them.  I knew that what I had foreseen had come to pass.  In allowing the One Ring and its bearer to leave the Golden Wood unhindered...  I let you go, Frodo, and knowingly stepped back from Power unimaginable.  I chose to return to what I once was, so very long ago, and am content that it be so.”  She smiled radiantly.  “I am permitted to return home.”

Frodo gazed in awe at the lovely face before him.  The Lady’s countenance seemed as bright as a star.  He was reminded of the shining being at the Ford -- Gandalf said that he had seen Glorfindel, as he truly was.  But he frowned as something new occurred to him.  What did the Elves see?  Did the stars seem closer, to them?  More distinct?  How did Elves see each other?

“Lady...”

“What would you ask of me, Frodo?”

“I have always wanted to know... to us, Elves seem to shine.  You glow and shimmer.  Do you view yourselves that way?”

“Each being carries their own light within them, Frodo, some more visible than others.”  Galadriel smiled.  “The deeper you look, the clearer you see.”

“In the West...”  Frodo said in wonder, “the light of so many noble Elves must be blinding.”

“Should you join us, Frodo,” the Lady laughed merrily, “you need not fear the light.”

He does not know, Galadriel thought.  He appears as radiant to us as we appear to him.  Middle-earth will soon grow dim to his sight, and his heart will ache for a Light to match his own.  The Blessed Realm calls him home.  His choice has already been made, although he may not yet realize it.

“Oh,” Frodo murmured.  “Look.”

In a burst of light, the sun rose above the horizon, its brilliant, yet gentle rays illuminating the glade.  As one, Elf and hobbit smiled with joy, then bowed their heads in welcome to the new day.

 

** TBC **

( ) Anonymous:  I don’t know your name, but thank you so much for your lovely review.

Ainu Laire:  The Barrow-wight story does mean “no Aragorn”, but that’s not the only story I’m planning to write -- I miss Aragorn, too!

Almie:  Isn’t Gimli hard to write?  It took me awhile to figure him out a little.

angelsflame265:  I wish there were more hobbit-Dwarf conversations, as well!  Maybe we’ll start to see some cropping up here and there.

aprilkat:  Getting into Gimli’s head and heart was so interesting.

Aratlithiel1:  Oh my, thank you.  I’m so happy (and still a bit astonished) that my “kinder, gentler” hobbity universe has found an audience.  *hugs you back, massively*

Clarise:  Thank you for your sweet review for “Reunion at Isengard”.  It’s such a thrill to know that the ‘older’ stories are still being discovered and enjoyed.  And I’m so glad you’re enjoying this story about Light.  What a joy to be able to share these ideas with folks who can’t get enough of the Light shining through the Professor’s story and characters.

Claudia:  Isn’t it cool that we were both writing about the phial at the same time?  And you would pick up that almost-ruffians reference in Chapter 3, wouldn’t you?  It’s fun thinking, for each chapter, “What would these two characters talk about with each other?”

Connie:  I never even thought much about certain characters (such as Celeborn and Gimli) before I brought them into my stories.  Writing about someone is a great way to get into their heads (and hearts).

Coriandra:  I’m amazed at the path this story is taking, which is (as usual) far different than the simple idea I originally had.  I truly believe that we’ll never finish exploring the Professor’s great Tale.

cpsings4him:  I had a terrible time trying to figure out how to end Chapter 4; thank you for mentioning that you liked what I came up with.

Cuthalion:  Thank you so much for all of your support.

Elven Kitten:  I can’t tell you what a thrill it is to have folks complimenting my descriptions.  I used to think I could only do dialogue, and that description/imagery was out of my reach.

esamen:  I love what you said about Middle-earth being “a splendid world”.  My first breathless impression, at the beginning of the first movie, was that I was finally seeing Middle-earth.  Finally.  And it was truly a splendid world.

Firnsarnien:  Gimli’s crystal is a prism of sorts -- and I hope it helps Frodo see as much light and beauty as others see in him.

G:  It was nice to think about Gimli’s appreciation of beauty and Middle-earth.  He was so eloquent, in TTT, when talking about the Glittering Caves, that I’m sure they affected him deeply.  (no pun intended!)

Gentle Hobbit:  It was so interesting trying to think of a “light” connection between Gimli and Frodo.  I’m glad it worked.

Hai Took:  You devoured all four chapters at once!  Thank you so much for your lovely words.  I’m very happy you’re enjoying the story.

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  Thank you, Lily.  Maybe we’ll see lots more Gimli-Frodo interactions in other authors’ stories; it’s fascinating to write.

Lady Eleclya:  I wish I could do a chapter for every character, but I’m running out of “Light” ideas!  I suspect there are only one or two chapters left to go in this story (for now, anyway).  I did write one very lighthearted bit about Éowyn, if you’re interested -- Chapter 2 of “Reunion in Minas Tirith”.

Laughing Half Elf:  I’m happy to give you some Pippin to look forward to!

Leia Wood:  I can’t help but believe that as well -- that the members of the Fellowship grew to like and admire one another.  Thank you for all your reviews, Leia!  (Ariel wants to thank you as well, but you don’t have an e-mail listed.)

lindahoyland:  Thank goodness for fanfiction!  The story goes ever on and on, and we can imagine conversations between any characters we choose.

Maura Labingi:  Thanks, Maura!

Nilmandra:  What a joy it is to weave our own tales within the Professor’s larger Tale.  Aren’t we the lucky ones?

Nivina:  It was such a challenge to write that Gimli-Frodo conversation.  It’s wonderful to stretch our imaginations as far as they’ll go.

Parker:  I love to think that each member of the Fellowship learned to love Frodo, in their own way.  Such a selfless, uncomplaining, resilient hobbit!

Pearl Took:  I appreciate so much your continued enthusiasm, Pearl!

Periantari:  I’m still trying to write Gimli-dialogue in a way that satisfies me.  Thank you for your kind words!

Pipwise Brandygin:  Oh Pip, I doubt that we’ll ever reach the end of the ideas sparked by the Professor’s Tale!  I hope to be reading and writing LOTR fanfiction for years to come.

Raven Aorla:  Thanks, Raven.  A Frodo-Gimli scene was a fun challenge.

Scifirogue:  I wish there had been more goodbye scenes in the book, as well.  I suppose it’s up to us to write them the way we imagine them!

Tathar:  Thank you for being so excited about... GIMLI!

tree:  When I was writing “Avalanche” in 2002, I was sad because I thought I’d never have another story idea.  Now I can’t stop them, and it makes me so happy to hear that they bring an “upbeat take on all things ME.”  And what is it about this hobbity literary character that makes us need to bring him happiness and peace of mind?  Amazing.  Oh tree, I do hope that ‘real life’ becomes kinder and more peaceful for you.

Viewfinder:  And I love writing humble Frodo!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List