Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

(Conversation written upon a scrap of parchment, tucked into a scroll and placed in the library of Dol Galenehtar)

********************************************************************************************

Where is the Infant?

 

I know not.  In her rooms perhaps.  Why?

The Prince asked she be present at this meeting, for it is time she began to take up the reins of some government.

 

Did he ask her this himself?

Nay, you know he is in Amon Din this week, seeing to the Red Knight's borders with Lord Faramir.  He asked me to tell her when he left.

 

I assume then you did as he asked.  What did the Infant say?

She said she would come.

 

Yet she is absent.

Yes, I had assumed you would come to that conclusion as well.

 

Ask Hirilcúllas if she knows where the Infant is.

She whispered to me that the Infant is in the gardens playing with her new pet.

 

She will spoil that filly.

As it is so young this treatment is so far harmless.  What concerns me is her place, not her doings.

 

Perhaps she has forgotten.

She is very forgetful then.

 

And conveniently so.  Well, I cannot see that she would have much of an effect upon the outcome of this meeting.  Does she even know to where the northern border extends?  I have seen no evidence of interest in civic affairs on her part.

That is irrelevant.  Our Lord has instructed us to see to it that she begins to assume responsibility for the administration of power in the demesne.  I told her to be here and yet she has defied me, and her betrothed as well.

 

It is mere thoughtlessness on her part.  She does not understand the importance of such things.

What shall I say to Legolas when he returns?

 

That is not your concern.  You have done as he has asked; you cannot drag her by her hair to the council-chambers, much as that sight would amuse me.

I do not wish to tell him she has failed him.

 

Why not?  It is inevitable that he discover her incompetence and imprudence.

But to have it from my lips? I have no desire to hurt him so, nor to anger him.

 

He is a fool.

Perhaps so, but still a kind-hearted and generous one.  And do you wish to stir his wrath?  He becomes more like unto his father and less his mother as the centuries pass.

 

That is a cogent point.  I concede.  I am friendly with Nardanë; I shall speak with her.

She grows less and less able to control the Infant as the days go by. 

 

That is her concern.  She cannot hide the Infant's perfidy forever.  We have but to wait.

So you shall say naught to either the Prince or Galás?

 

Shall you?

Nay!  As you said, it is unavoidable.

 

How I wish Queen Edlothiel were here!  She would see the Infant for what she is.

Do you dislike the Infant then?

 

Nay.  I find her aggravating, as one would a buzzing insect; she is harmless but bothersome.  And she can be charming when she wishes to be.  But I do not know what Lord Círdan was thinking, that she was of an age to be wed; she may appear a woman full-grown but her mind is that of a child's.

I disagree; the Infant poses a great problem to us.  Would you submit to her will as Lady of Dol Galenehtar?

 

Well, Dúrfinwen?

 

I am thinking.  Wait.

In fifty or a hundred years' time perhaps, when she has matured.

A shame we must wait.

 

And a shame we cannot transplant Nardanë's soul in the Infant's body!

I blame her not for wanting to see to it the Infant is made Lady.  It would take her off her hands at least, and give her some peace.

 

She loves the Infant, you know.

She yet sees the orphaned baby given her in Mithlond.  She does all she can to persuade both us and the Infant that this is best for our fiefdom, but her mask is slipping.  This cannot go on.

 

You shall speak to the Prince then?

Nay, I desire still to rest in his good favor!  I shall leave that to braver souls – Lord Gimli perhaps.  But I shall drop a hint to Kaimelas.

 

And I shall speak with Nardanë.  She may yet be able to salvage this.

Is that what you want?

 

No.  But we ought to give her the chance at least.

I do not see why.  I want the Infant out.

 

And our Lord humiliated?

Of course not; do not be foolish, Dúrfinwen!

 

I see no other outcome.  Either he and the Infant wed and he be proved a fool, or the betrothal called off and he be shown a cad.

What a pity she is so in love with him!

 

At least he is not in love with her, Seimiel.  That would be painful indeed.

It is painful enough.

 

Yes.  There; we have finished, though I marked not the outcome.  Go you to Kaimelas and I shall speak to Nardanë.  I would like to have this resolved in part before our Lord returns.

You were ever the optimist.  No wonder he likes you best.

 

There is no need to be uncouth, my dear.

Meet me before the evening meal at the sundial.

 

Very well.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List