Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Elessar, King of Gondor and Arnor, the Elfstone, Aragorn son of Arathorn, Minas Tirith,

To Legolas Thranduilion, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, of the Nine Walkers, Bane of the Fell Beast, Friend and Beloved Councilor to the King,

Greetings.

With dismay did I hear of this last incident, my friend, concerning your betrothed, though I am constrained to inform you this came as no surprise to Undómiel; your future is a subject of much debate in my Lady's rooms among her maids, for you have ever been a favorite of theirs; I was surprised at first to hear the match between you and Laustairë of Mithlond was greeted with such lack of enthusiasm, but now we have become better acquainted with the child perchance I am the more informed and can advise you better.  To be honest my Undómiel has ever been opposed to this union, though she did admit to me her chagrin was due in part to her desire to awaken your interest in one of her own friends; now however she has recanted this wish, saying perhaps you are not meant to be wed, and urging emphatically you ought certainly not be wed to your betrothed.  For myself I should be more circumspect; I have no objections to your finding a wife, and unquestionably it was gratifying to match Dol Galenehtar with Mithlond both within and without your bed chambers (also 'twould be a great pity if you did not have children of your own; I have watched you these past years and know of a certainty your heart yearns specially for that particular reward); however the last letter I have had of you, and missives I have had from Faramir and Éowyn and also Gimli upon this subject, suggest to me that perchance this maid is not truly meant for you.

It is a pity, for I have met Laustairë and like her well enough; she is young, though, even as I would count youth, and Arwen maintains she has no understanding of the workings of politics and its ramifications.  Also from what you have told me, concerning this incident you mentioned, she has neither desire nor ability to commence her duties as your lady; now this is not so great an obstacle, for wisdom and aptitude will come with time and experience, and there is naught to be done about it.  My greater concern, my friend, is this one phrase you did write to me in that last letter, of which I shall remind you:  "Until the harvest is over I have little time to spare to become the better acquainted with her; yet even those moments we have are stunted by the feeling I get from her, that she is uneasy in company, and will speak to me only when we are alone, which is almost never; yet even then I find nothing about which we may converse comfortably; at times it is as though we two speak separate tongues."  You went on then, my friend, to ask of me the subjects of casual conversation betwixt my beloved and me; I assure you, Legolas, there is no restraint there; my Undómiel is I deem also my close friend as well as my wife, and I am at ease in her presence whether in speech or in silence.  If after these past months you still find in Laustairë nothing save her physical form to so attract you this is no good thing, for though as an Elf her loveliness shall fade not there is no inherent advantage in beauty save as entertainment for the eyes.  You know this, my friend; you have said so, indeed you said so in our last conversation together when we met in Minas Tirith:  and even Laustairë's especial charms beside her fair face have no value if they are not coupled with wit, wisdom, and strength of character – three traits, I fear, she is so far lacking.

I beg you, Legolas, be not wroth with me for my words; I know you have set your heart on the maid, yet do not your feelings of unease betray a deeper sense of foreboding?  Shall you bind yourself to Laustairë knowing she might be an impediment and not a helpmeet to you, reducing her to becoming a mere ornament to dangle from your arm whilst you are together in public; yet behind chamber doors will reign discontent and disappointment?  O do not do such a thing, Legolas!  Rather would I see the treaty betwixt you and Círdan broken than to have you so unhappy; rather would I see you live alone in your tower than to know you are constrained to share it for eternity with a maid who does not nor cannot deserve you.  That she cares nothing for your deeds of bravery and prowess upon the battlefield, nor for your labors in Ithilien and the great works you accomplish there, is indicative of her temperament, and all the ladies' maids here have said to Undómiel that Laustairë is aloof and unfriendly, displaying the notion she feels her friendship is too precious a thing to share with the likes of them; even you said to me, my friend, that she has no companions in Dol Galenehtar save Nardanë, who is likable enough; yet one would have thought after so many months she should have foregathered with at least one or two of the ladies of your court.

I do not pretend to understand her, Legolas, for I have not spoken to her but once or twice, and on those occasions could scarcely get four words out of her; perhaps she is uneasy in our presence, and not merely standoffish; I attempt to give her the benefit of the doubt for your sake when I say this, that you should perhaps charge one of your ladies to watch her, to attempt to determine whether her unfriendliness is due to pride or to bashfulness (though after what you have told me certainly neither Dúrfinwen nor Seimiel are suitable for that task; perhaps Andunië would be preferable, as she was uninvolved in the discovery of this dilemma).  Also go you unto Nardanë and tell her you shall not be gainsaid, and Laustairë is to take up some duty ere you are wed; if she cannot control the child I believe no one shall.  It is not your task, my friend, to wrench the maid to your will; she ought to accept her commissions joyfully, and not cause so much perturbation on her account.  And I strongly suggest you write to your Lady Mother, in whose eyes all pretensions wither – the sooner she will come to you, my friend, the sooner we shall know the heart of this child whom you have promised to wed.

Barring these things I cannot think of any else to say, save I agree wholeheartedly with Gimli, in that it would be wise to delay this wedding a year at least; harvest is nearly ended, and our Tournament approaches, and after that the winter with its many functions, then Spring shall be upon us, and the Mereth en'Ehtelé, and then it shall be too late for you.  You are so mild, my friend, and so willing to place the well-being of others ahead of your own, but in this I beg of you to be the more selfish, lest you find yourself enmired too deeply to be rescued even by your old brothers-in-arms Gimli and me.

You shall be present at the reception in the White Tower for Vorondil; we shall speak further on this subject then, and I shall set my Undómiel to pierce your betrothed's armor, and perchance discover what motives lurk therein.  Fear not, my friend; this is no irreversible thing!  Perhaps we shall save you yet.

Be well, Legolas, and do you not work so hard; you do not grow ill but you are certainly very weary, and you cannot keep up this pace without it taking its toll upon you.  I am concerned for you; I see you are troubled and exhausted, and your toil drains you; this ought not to be, and we ought rather than add to your burdens to seek a more feasible remedy for you.

I shall see you in some weeks.  Try to get some rest!

Your friend,

Aragorn





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List