Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Círdan of Lindon, Lord of the Grey Havens, Shipwright and Captain of Mithlond

To His Royal Majesty Elessar, the Elfstone, Aragorn of the Dúnedain, King of Gondor and Arnor,

Greetings.

Gladly do I see you upon your throne at last, beloved Estel, who for long years labored in the wilderness against the forces of Evil, to finally overcome and conquer, retaking your kingdom and ruling with all power and might.  Tales of your deeds of prowess do reach us even unto our stronghold in Mithlond, and I am filled with joy to see the progeny of Isildur renew the line of Númenor of old.  This current Age promises to be filled with the great deeds of Men, as they strengthen and expand their kingdoms and provinces; though this heralds the end of the Age of Elves I weep not, nor have I regrets; I trust you and your seed to so carry Middle Earth upon your strong shoulders to a great and glorious realm.

I write to you, beloved Estel, to inform you of the trade delegation passing into your lands, unto one of your vassal's fiefdoms, Ithilien, the section now called Dol Galenehtar, demesne of Legolas Thranduilion of Taur e-Ndaedelos, who labors now to raise unto himself an Elven people to dwell within the borders of the lands of Men.  We have received letters of his Highness, and of Cirien of Langstrand, purporting to deal commerce with us, in our traffic betwixt Mithlond and Belfalas, thus securing treaties beneficial, or so it would appear, to all involved, save the minor custom-houses of Lond Daer, who already pester my seneschals with alternate agreements, late thought-upon and poorly constructed.  I am inclined, O Your Majesty, to disregard these tardy missives, in favor of your two friends both mortal and immortal, though my emissaries must needs be the primary judges of this determination.  As Langstrand and Dol Galenehtar both are lands paying tithe into your Royal Treasury you gain also by this transaction, and I am sure we shall find mutual profit in its conclusion.

Also I send unto you the late-rising star of my house, my charge Laustairë, a maid given me in guardianship from infancy, and her various retainers, in chief an Elf of my household, Nardanë by name, possessed of great insight and keen understanding, and much beloved by her companions, who is Laustairë's primary nurse and tutor.  Laustairë has achieved her majority, and is of an age and inclination to marry, and as I understand it there are many unwed Elves in Dol Galenehtar who may be suitable, in principal the Lord of Dol Galenehtar himself, a hale warrior and respected member of the Sindar Royalty, and worthy of my charge.  Indeed well I remember Legolas Thranduilion from Lord Elrond's council; though his news was ill I had the chance to speak with him on several occasions, and found him acceptable, wise in his way, blithe and light-hearted, and a fierce and doughty pugilist.  I have had letters from his noble father, King Thranduil of Taur e-Ndaedelos, since the destruction of Dol Guldur called Eryn Lasgalen, and of his mother, kin of mine, Edlothiel Daughter of Ailosacathil of Cardolan, who is anxious to see a lady upon the throne of her son's fiefdom, and eager for their subsequent offspring, to so perpetuate the demesne in its mortal surrounds and afford the Silvan folk there the permanence they desire.  Should it be in your power, O King of Gondor and Arnor, I beg of you to guide this meeting, that all should go well, and the participants presented in best possible light to each other; should they foregather with equanimity perchance this shall be a marriage not only of two souls, but of North and South, not but merely joining the House of Círdan with the House of Oropher, bringing to an end that ancient enmity, but also a marriage of Noldor and Sindar, heralding a glorious and triumphal end to the Age of the Elves upon Middle Earth, ere we depart these shores for the brighter sands of Valinor.

Instruct then, I beg of you, Estel, Faramir son of Denethor, the Lord of Ithilien, that he might control the machinations between these two, and satisfy my longing for union between these two sundered houses; for some time now my people have been spinning tales of this Prince of Greenwood, who seeks folk of the Eldar regardless of race to dwell in comfort and safety behind his walls, bringing peace and succor to the mortals who dwell without.  Such a one would be a boon and a gift to all the Wandering Exiles of Arnor, and of Lothlórien in Galadriel's absence, should his promises of peace and plenty be proved true, as all reports have testified.

For the benefit of both mortal and immortal, for the Edain and the Eldar alike, and in hope of the fiscal gain promised by this,

Círdan of Mithlond

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List