Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Before He Was King  by Hobbitsrfun

Elrond and his sons walked down the main hall. They soon saw Gandalf enter holding Estel’s hand. Elrond ran forward and knelt down to embrace his child, but Estel stepped behind Gandalf and whimpered.

“Estel? What is it?”, Elrond asked worriedly.

Estel merely clung to Gandalf’s robes and shivered.

“Lord Elrond, may I escort Estel to his bedroom and then have a word with you in private, please?”

Elrond stood, confused. “Yes of course. If that is what he wants.”

Gandalf nodded and gave the Elven Lord a reassuring smile, before bending down and scooping Estel up into his arms. He then headed down the hall to Estel’s bedroom.

“I will get a bath ready for you child. You are covered in filth and I do not think Lord Elrond would want you to get it everywhere.”

“Thank you.”

“I will also put out some clean clothes for you. It is nearly time for bed, so I will lay out your bed clothes, yes?”

Estel nodded and set to removing his shoes and cloak. After Estel was settled in the bathtub, and was a full shade cleaner, Gandalf headed off toward Elrond’s healing room. He found the Elven Lord standing by the window with a glass of wine.

“Lord Elrond?”

“Gandalf! Please explain to me what is wrong with my son. Did he say anything to you? He has been so distant!”

“Yes. He has told me all that is troubling him.”

“He recoiled from me Gandalf! He is afraid!”

“Yes, he is skittish. He is worried he will be punished for wandering off tonight.”

“Wandering off? Then he did not run away?”, Elrond asked hopefully.

“Good heavens no! He loves it here in Rivendell. Estel merely wanted to be in your good graces again. I found him holding this.” Gandalf handed him the crumpled up drawing of the Athelas plant that Estel had been carrying.

“Athelas?”

“He was trying to find it for you, because he destroyed all that you have. He did not want you to have to go far away to get more. He is also afraid that since he is not your real child, you will send him away if he behaves badly. He had hoped that finding this plant would make you happy with him. I am assuming that you have not had to address this type of behavior with Estel before, as he has most definitely taken your reaction to heart.”

Elrond sat down in his chair and sighed. “I should not have told him so young. But Gandalf I have never said or done anything to make him believe I would send him away! I have not treated him any differently than I have my own children!”

“He is six years old Lord Elrond. That is how the mind of a six year old thinks. It is nothing you have done.”

“I have to make amends.”

“You have not done any wrong, Elrond. Estel deserved to be punished for destroying your herbs. But he needs to understand that all is well between the two of you.”

“I know. I will go speak with him now. Thank you Gandalf.”

                                                                               ~~**~~

Estel got out of the bathtub and dressed in his night clothes. His stomach grumbled as he had not eaten lunch or dinner. He was startled as the door creaked open. He saw that it was Elrond and jumped up on the bed, pulling the covers over his head. Elrond smiled at the covered form that was his son. He slowly made his way over and sat beside him.

“Hello Estel.”

Estel didn’t answer.

“Would you like to come out from under there so we can talk?”

Elrond could tell by the motion of the blankets that Estel had shaken his head. He smiled and sighed.

“What if I was to tell you that I am not angry and I do not intend to punish you?”

Estel’s head slowly emerged from under the blanket.

“Y-you don’t?”

“No, I do not.”

Elrond frowned at the still sad expression on Estel’s face.

“I spoke with Gandalf. He told me why you wandered off.”

“Oh.”

“Estel, have I ever treated you any differently than Elladen, Elrohir or Arwen?”

Estel looked at him confused.

“What I mean is, have I ever told you I love you differently because you were not born into this family?”

“No Ada.”

“Then why would you think that would change if you misbehave?”

“I don’t know.”

“Let me tell you a story Estel. Many years ago when Elladan and Elrohir were about your age, they enjoyed watching my healing powers. They enjoyed it so much, they decided to try it out themselves. They had attempted to heal the scratches they had received from playing in the rose garden where they were forbidden. I entered the room and found both of them lying on the floor unconscious. They had used too much of the wrong herb, and it knocked them out.”

Estel’s eyes widened.

“Fortunately it was not too serious and I was able to counteract it. But, as soon as the pair of them were up and about again, they were both over my knee receiving exactly what you received last night.”

Estel looked at him in awe. “Really?”

“Really! You see Estel, I would never unjustly punish you. You could have injured yourself and you knew you were not allowed to handle those herbs on your own. You deserved to be punished. Do you agree?”

Estel nodded. “Yes Ada”, he replied softly.

“Good. Now, I believe we did not finish the last part of your punishment last night, and this is a matter I mean to tend to right now.”

Estel looked at him fearfully. “But you said-!”

Before Estel could finish, Elrond pulled him into a big hug. “All is forgiven, my child.”

Estel heard the words and broke down crying. “I am so sorry Ada! I will never touch those plants again!”

“I know you won’t. Because now you know what will happen, don’t you?”

Estel pulled back and smiled. “Yes Ada.”

“I love you Estel. And there is nothing in this world that you could do that would ever make me want to send you away! Never doubt that.”

“I love you too Ada”, Estel sniffled.

Estel climbed out of his foster father’s arms and went over to his rain drenched cloak.

“I could not find the Etelas plant Ada. But I found these. Does this make things all better?”

Elrond smiled fondly as Estel presented him with a fistful of squashed daisies.

“Of course child. This makes everything perfect!”, Elrond said, pulling him back onto his lap for another hug.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List