Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Striking Sparks  by Lindelea

Chapter 3. A Matter of Patience

Regi missed the next few teatimes at the Tooks'. When he did return, he sat down at the game table with Mardibold, playing through the first game with such a lack of concentration that he was soundly trounced.

Shaking his head at himself, he said, 'Let us try that again.' He forced himself to concentrate and nearly won the next game. While setting up the pieces again, he said, 'I have to thank you for your warning.'

Mardi nodded, his own eyes on the board. 'I had the right of it, then?'

'Aye,' Regi said. He did not need to add any more.

Nor did Mardibold ask. He knew the harm it would do if word got out that the Thain was seriously ill. Tooks and Tooklanders were still not happy with the fact that he'd come out of foreign parts to lord it over them, and even though he seemed to be doing a good job, the sentiment was that the Thain ought to be someone like Reginard, who'd stayed his whole life in Tookland and knew what was what. If they could prove that Pippin's health kept him from being an effective Thain, they'd ask him to step down in favour of someone stronger, more suited to the position. Someone like Reginard.

Mardibold took a moment to fill his pipe and light it. He wondered if he wanted his daughter married to a hobbit who might become Thain someday. It was quite a responsibility, a heavy burden to bear. Of course, he might be borrowing trouble. Reginard might never speak, might be content to visit each day, play a few games of Kings, enjoy tea, and return to the Smials alone. Then again, it never hurt to look ahead, not to the next move, but as many moves forward as one could imagine, in the game of life as well as in the game of Kings.

Rosamunda spoke her customary greeting from the doorway to the study. 'Tea's going cold.'

Mardi intercepted the look between the two and smiled to himself. He had a private wager with himself that Reginard would speak before summer's end.

***

Back at the Smials, Regi whistled on his way to the Thain's study to pick up a few loose ends. His whistle ended abruptly on seeing the Thain sitting at his desk. 'What are you doing up?' he said shortly.

Pippin pulled one side of his mouth into a lopsided smile. 'I'm fine, Regi, it's just a cold,' he said. 'People are such fussbudgets. If I stayed in that bed a day longer, it would swallow me alive.'

'You shouldn't be up,' Reginard countered. 'Woodruff said a week in bed, and she meant it.'

'A week?' Pippin said innocently. 'Are you sure she said that?'

Regi nodded firmly. 'That is what she said,' he affirmed. 'D'you want me to have her put it in writing?' He gave the Thain a keen glance. 'Where's Diamond?'

Pippin shifted uncomfortably. 'She went down to Tuckborough, wanted to find a particular shade of wool, she said.'

'And did she say you could get up?'

'Well, she didn't say I couldn't,' Pippin said. 'Just who's in charge here, anyhow?'

'Diamond. And Healer Woodruff,' Reginard said implacably. 'Do I have to escort you back to bed, or will you go quietly?'

The Thain sighed. 'All right,' he said. 'Who am I to argue?'

Regi snorted, but did not comment. He decided, on second thought, to escort Pippin back to his bed, seeing him into it and pulling the covers up over him for good measure.

'Are you going to tell me a bedtime story?' Pippin asked wryly.

'Hah,' Regi said. 'The way you're acting, you'll be blessed not to be sent to bed without supper.'

'Bed without supper,' Pippin sighed. 'I can only hope...'

'Now Pippin...' Regi began severely.

'Don't you start with me, Regi, I get enough of it from Diamond, and Woodruff, and even Sandy.'

'Sandy? I cannot believe it. That hobbitservant is so discreet he wouldn't even tell his own mother the time of day.'

'He doesn't have to say anything, all he has to do is look down his nose at me and I am sufficiently quashed,' Pippin grumbled.

'Good,' Regi said. 'You could use some quashing. Now stay in the bed.'

'Bring me some papers to read, at least,' Pippin said. 'I think my brain is about to explode... no, rather, to dry up, fall into dust, and blow away in the wind.'

Regi was silent for a moment, thinking, and listening. He did not hear the rasping in the Thain's breathing that had caused the Smials' healer to speak with a sharper tone than usual, but he did fancy he could still hear a slight wheeze.

'And what about Socks?' Pippin said suddenly. 'If he doesn't get a daily outing, he'll kick out his stall.'

'Ferdi's turned him loose in the pasture. He can run and play and kick out the air as much as he likes,' Regi said hastily, having visions of the Thain easing himself out the door and into the pre-dawn chill for a ride on the pony. 'I'll bring you some papers to read,' he conceded, 'if you will promise to stay in the bed.'

The Thain did not exactly promise, but sighed instead. Regi resolved privately to speak with the healer.

'Healer Woodruff said you'd be feeling better, and wanting to get up, but you shouldn't, you know.'

'I am well, Reginard!' Pippin protested.

'You feel well. Whether you are well is something for a healer to determine.'

'You think a healer would know better than I do, myself?' Pippin said incredulously.

Regi nodded firmly. 'I do. Healer Woodruff said if you got up too soon, not only might the cold come back, but it could invite the Old Gaffer's Friend along to take tea. Pippin,' he said, 'you're not a child any longer. We shouldn't have to sit on you to keep you abed.'

'I'm told I'm a difficult patient,' Pippin mused.

'Yes, I believe you have the right of it,' Regi agreed.

'Why do they call it being a patient when it makes one feel so impatient?' Pippin asked the ceiling.

'None of your nonsense, now, lad. Stay in the bed!'

Pippin sighed. 'Yes, Auntie,' he said.

'That's Aunt Reginard, to you,' the Steward said, and left the room, allowing himself to chuckle only after he'd closed the door behind him.

***

Replies to Reviews from original posting:

Notes: ~VI~: I'm going to hold you to that promise, you know (of more wordy reviews, grin). Glad you're enjoying the story. The angst is going to get pretty heavy, I'm afraid. People who've read the "sister story" FireStorm will understand why. Also, I'm glad the summary cracked you up. I honestly could not think of a single thing to write in the summary... and yes, the Thain is sick. In my private bio, I have afflicted the poor lad with bad lungs since chapter (25?) of Jewels, where he comes down with a bad case of pneumonia. He continues bravely, in spite of bad lungs, right up until his miraculous healing in Rope (and i forget what chapter *that* was, we're way past that now, in Rope I mean). So anything of mine that you read, where Pippin is steward of Buckland, and all of his early years as Thain (FireStorm, Sparks, Down and Out, and the first part of Rope) will reflect his bad lungs. He doesn't let them get in his way, though, like a few other people I know IRL who face physical challenges.

Jo: Nice to see you here! Yes, for those who missed the time clue, think [in "FireStorm"] on the picnic by the pool with the Thain's family, which took place the day before the wildfire broke out. Pippin says something about what fussbudgets people are, "every cough pneumonia and every sneeze a death knell" and Diamond thinks privately how worrisome the heavy cold of the previous month had been to her. "Sparks" just goes into a bit more detail of that cold.

Dana: Yes, I loved that bit. I wonder if he even noticed his tea was too sweet?

LadyJea: Thanks for letting me know about that literary term. "Dynamic". O, I feel so much more educated this day... LOL Much more fun than going back to college!

FantasyFan: Ah, so you are new! Glad you joined in. Excellent insight into the changing/growing of Pippin's character, you hit the nail on the head. It can be disorienting to go back and read "Going, Going, Gone" after reading about "older Pippin"... he seems almost out of character, until you remember he's... what?... 20 years or so younger in "Going". People change over time, why not literary characters as well.

Xena: Always nice to see one of your reviews. Yes, it is nice that Pippin doesn't let his social status go to his head (I'm thinking of his visit with the poor old gaffer in FireStorm), but in this case, he is not really slumming to take tea with Mardibold. This healer Took is really rather highly placed in the Took family, but chooses not to live in the Smials because he's tired of pretension and social-climbing relatives. Wanted to make something of his life. You'll see in a future chapter, he has enough status to sit at the head table with the Thain. Considering what a snob Regi is (been brought up to be one, poor dear), it is only fitting that Regi would court Mardi's daughter.

My goodness, if I don't watch out the comments will be longer than the chapter! BTW, just to let you know, I will try to be updating in three stories daily (or at least every other day) this week: At the End of His Rope; Going, Going, Gone; and Striking Sparks. Just in case you don't get author updates, same boat I'm riding in. I have written way ahead in "Sparks" (chapter 10 is written, not proofed); "Going" is actually finished, I wrote it back in February, all 12 chapters; and "Rope" is outlined and writing itself fairly well at the rate of a chapter a day. So if all goes well, you should be able to feed your habit. (and mine. reviews, that is. black gold. what's the next line in the beverly hillbillies' song after "black gold"?)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List