Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

FireStorm  by Lindelea

Author's Note: Thanks to Llinos for describing the Green Hill country to me!

***

Chapter 3. Sunbreaks

A watery sun shone down on them for the rest of the journey. Crews along the way were cutting up the trees that had fallen across the road, stacking the wood into waggons.

'No waste,' Reginard pointed out. 'It'll be useful as firewood next winter, after it's seasoned a bit.'

'O aye,' Pippin said. 'And sold at a nice profit, I shouldn't wonder.'

'Would you leave it to lie and rot?' Reginard asked.

Pippin shook his head. 'No,' he said, 'but I should think such a windfall would be better given to the poor, or the elderly who cannot fell their own trees, nor easily pay for firewood.'

'You've gone soft,' Regi said shortly.

Pippin smiled. 'Perhaps,' he nodded. 'Perhaps I have.' He chuckled. 'I make up for it in foolishness, though.'

'So I've heard,' Regi answered dryly. They rode on in silence for a time, until the woods gave way to rolling green hills, their grassy sides cropped short by sheep and rabbits, with an occasional copse of trees to be seen. They rode through a flock of sheep travelling along the road, the leading ewe's bell ringing, dogs keeping the sheep bunched and moving, obeying their instincts and the whistles of the guiding shepherd. Pippin sighed.

'Good to be home?'

'Aye,' Pippin nodded. 'Surprisingly.'

Regi smiled slightly. 'We never forget our roots,' he said, 'no matter how long it's been since the tree was lopped off.' He glanced at his cousin. 'Even years later, sprouts will still come up from the stump and bear leaves.'

'Aye,' Pippin said. 'You've got to be careful about that. Ruthlessly cut the sprouts down again. Burn the stump out, if it comes to that.'

'I hope it won't come to that,' Regi said.

Pippin chuckled. 'I hope so, too,' he said, 'seeing as how I'm the stump in question.'

The clouds were beginning to break up, and increasing patches of blue sky were to be seen. The sun turned the hills to an intense green, and with the blue sky above dotted with fleecy clouds varying from dazzling white to smudged grey, Pippin felt as if he were riding through one of Estella's paintings. 'I forgot how beautiful Tookland could be,' he said, as if to himself.

Regi took a great breath, nodded, saying, 'I don't see how you could ever leave.'

'Believe you me, 'twas difficult,' Pippin said. 'But I couldn't let Frodo go off alone, now, could I?'

Reginard snorted. 'Hardly alone: he had that gardener fellow with him, not to mention the heir to Buckland. And, from what I hear, that scurrilous wizard.'

Pippin smiled at this description of Gandalf. 'No,' he said, 'He joined us later, at Rivendell. We did travel in the company of a scruffy Ranger, after we got to Bree, though.'

'Scruffy Ranger,' Reginard huffed. 'Don't see how you could put up with such folk. Outlanders... and Big People, for good measure. How ever did you stand the company?'

'O, we got used to them in time,' Pippin said easily. 'Though they had no idea about civilised life. They'd actually forget to eat!'

'No!' Reginard said, shocked. 'I hope you didn't pick up any bad habits from them.'

'O I am thoroughly spoilt,' Pippin said. 'Hardly a proper hobbit at all anymore. If you can believe it...'

'I can believe it,' Regi answered. 'You weren't all that proper before you left for foreign parts.'

'If you can believe it,' Pippin continued as if he hadn't been interrupted, 'I even forget to eat, myself, sometimes nowadays.'

Reginard shook his head. 'Sounds as if you got back to the Shire just in time to save yourself. Forget about the ruffians. You needed more rescuing than we did, taking on such outlandish notions.'

They were riding into the outskirts of Tuckborough now, and could see the grand hill, rising behind the town, that had been excavated by Isengrim II to create the Great Smials centuries ago.

'Lad,' Reginard said urgently, 'I know you've never listened to anyone in your life, but would you listen to me now?'

'I'll listen,' Pippin said equably.

'Let me do the talking when we arrive, will ye, lad?' Pippin glanced at him out of the corner of his eye. His cousin was very serious, even worried.

'You're afraid I might prejudice the Tooks against me?' Pippin asked.

Regi chuckled, without humour. 'No chance of that,' he answered. 'They're already about as set against you as they could possibly be.'

'Lovely,' Pippin breathed. 'And what of this committee that sent you to fetch me back to Tookland?'

'We'll talk about that later,' Regi said evasively. They rode on in silence until they pulled up in front of the main entrance to the Smials. Hobbits came up to take their ponies.

Reginard forestalled Pippin when he would have taken Socks himself. 'They're competent here, lad; he'll be well cared for,' he said.

'Is old Tom still in charge of the stables?' Pippin asked.

'Aye,' Regi nodded.

'Then I figure they ought to take adequate care,' Pippin answered. He said to the young hobbit holding Socks, 'He's a good lad: take as much care of him as if he were your own mother.'

'O aye,' said the stable worker, 'and better.'

Pippin laughed. 'You do that, lad, and I'll thank you. He likes to have an apple after he's rubbed down and put to bed.'

The stable worker patted his pocket. 'Just happens I've got one here,' he said. 'Don't you worry, sir, he's in good hands.' Pippin thanked him and turned away to join Regi.

'That wasn't so bad,' he said. 'I thought you said...'

'He doesn't realise who you are,' the other answered. 'You've been gone so long, the younger lads don't know you by sight.'

'That's encouraging,' Pippin said. ' 'Twill make it easier to slip away again if need be.'

Reginard gave a short bark of laughter.

'I wasn't joking,' Pippin said.

'I didn't think you were,' his cousin answered.

They entered the Smials to be met by a group of hobbits who'd seen them ride up. There were respectful bows and greetings for Reginard, then the eyes turned to Pippin, the looks ranging from cool appraisal to open hostility.

Reginard spoke a little louder than need be. 'Welcome back to Tuckborough, Peregrin. Would you like go greet your mother?'

'Aye,' Pippin said, 'That's the first thing I'd like to do.'

'Good,' Regi answered. 'I'll meet you in the Thain's study, after you're finished.' He clapped Pippin on the shoulder and turned away. The group of hobbits broke apart, some following Reginard, others apparently intent on other business. None greeted Pippin, and in silence, he walked the well-remembered route to his mother's rooms.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List