Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Monument of Stone  by Meldewen Ilce

Author’s Note: I did not intend to have a second chapter to this story but low and behold one came to me last night while I was in bed.

///
The hobbit’s breathing was steady, deep for several moments after Elrond left and Galadriel continued to do what the healer had been doing. Galadriel knew her son-in-law was concerned about Frodo yet again experiencing the effects of his wound from the Witch-king’s blade. He had reported that usually for Frodo this day of the year meant fever, pain, and tormenting dreams, both waking and sleeping.

And although Nenya no longer contained the power it once held in the Third Age, Galadriel was still to catch pertinent glimpses into the minds of those around her. So she now caught glimpses of Frodo’s dreams, discovering that the hobbit dreamt of his homeland, and the loved ones he had left behind. She smiled as for the most part they were pleasant memories contained in those dreams, and perhaps as they neared her homeland, the Witch-king’s power was finally losing its hold over this dear one at last/

Frodo stirred and opened his eyes, turning his head to look at her, “My Lady, I saw you in my dreams. Were you guarding my sleep?”

Momentarily, Galadriel was puzzled as she was sure she had kept her presence from being known to Frodo’s mind while he slept. But she already knew he was a perceptive creature, even before he had carried the One Ring. Still he should not have sensed her presence during his sleep, but she already knew from experience that carrying a Ring of Power changed the bearer. The Elven Rings had enhanced natural abilities of the wearer as well as give them new abilities, how much more so with the Ring that had been Sauron’s alone?

Finally the daughter of Finarfin nodded, “Yes, Frodo, I was. Lord Elrond is concerned that the Shadow will not surrender its hold on you until we reach the Blessed Realm.”

Frodo shifted, and sat up in bed, his hand briefly touching his shoulder, “Tomorrow is October 6th isn’t?”

“Yes, it is,” Galadriel confirmed, “Are you in any pain?”

“No, I am not,” Frodo said, “Tomorrow will be the real test, and I hope Lord Elrond is right, for I am wounded to the depths of my soul, and if I do not find rest soon, I shall leave this world in despair.”

“You shall find your rest in the Blessed Realm,” Galadriel said touching his hand, “This I swear to you, Frodo.”

The hobbit, for the first time in a long time, felt at peace at her promise. He knew he would find the rest he sought, and nodding a thanks he changed the subject by inquiring, “Where is Lord Elrond?”

“He has gone to the deck to cast his gaze out on the sea, for at this very moment, the ship is passing near the Remnants of Númenór,” Galadriel answered.

“‘The Remnant of Númenór’?” Frodo said, wonder filling in his voice. “I did not think one grain of sand remained in existence any longer!”

“Only the highest peak at Númenór’s center, Melneltarma, the Pillar of Heaven, has been left in remembrance of the greatest kingdom of the Secondborn.”

And although Galadriel did not say it Frodo thought, A monument to what, the Folly of Men? For he indeed knew the story of the Downfall of Númenór, of how the greed and lust of the Númenóreans for the immortality ultimately brought about that kingdom’s Downfall after Sauron tricked King Ar-Pharazôn into thinking they could take both the Blessed Realm and the immortality that belonged alone to both the Valar and Eldar, by force.

Frodo visibly shuddered as he remembered the Dark Lord’s name, of how Sauron had ruined so many lives, taken them, and how Sauron’s Ring had forever scarred his soul, so much so that Frodo had despaired of ever finding peace again.

“Never again will Sauron take from another what he robbed from you, Frodo,” Galadriel’s voice broke into his thoughts, “For his domain in this world has forever been cast down by your actions, Ringbearer.”

At these words, Frodo’s face fell, and he looked away from Galadriel’s eyes, shame filling his voice, “I wish you would not say such things, my Lady.”

“And why would you have me not speak such things?” Galadriel asked, “Is it because you believe you failed in the Quest?”

“I did fail, for I did not keep my promise to the Council! If it were not for Gollum, he would have recovered the Ring, and Middle-earth would have been thrown into eternal darkness!”

“Yet I say you, Frodo son of Drogo, you did not fail in what you set out to do,” Galadriel replied, “For when you set out from the House of Elrond, you swore to carry the Ring to Orodruin, and you fulfilled your oath. However, Frodo, you did not take an oath to destroy the very thing you carried. You were only appointed the carrying of the Ring by the Council and by the Powers, and it seems by Ilúvatar Himself, for He provided the means of its destruction.”

“If your words are the truth, Lady, then why do I still feel the guilt of my failure?” Frodo asked, still unwilling to look at her, fiddling with the blankets.

“Perhaps because you have not opened yourself up to forgiveness because you feel unworthy,” Galadriel replied, “Forgive yourself, Frodo, for you are already forgiven if you but seek to be.”

Frodo nodded but was unwilling to contemplate or discuss this subject any longer, so he pushed off the blankets, and set his feet on the floor. “I should like to see the Remnants of Númenór,” he declared, standing up. He wobbled on his legs so much so that Galadriel had to steadied him with her hands.

“You are still weakened, Frodo, and if it would not wound your pride nor dignity I would carry you to the deck above,” the former Lady of Lothlórien offered.

The hobbit’s flushed with embarrassment and frustration but he saw no other alternative to reach the deck above for now he was feeling a bit dizzy, “Very well, my Lady, I am honored to accept your assistance.”

Galadriel smiled, bending to take the hobbit in her arms, “The honor is mine, Ringbearer.” The hobbit was no heavier than a very young Elf child, and so they reached the deck soon.

“Please, my Lady, put me down here,” Frodo insisted as soon as he spotted Elrond and Bilbo’s forms.

“Are you certain, Frodo?”

Frodo nodded, “Yes, please put me down. I’ll be fine, thank you.”

The Elf queen nodded, and gently deposited him onto the deck. She watched as he made slow, tentative steps towards Elrond and his uncle, his face aglow with the light of Eärendil.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List