Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 1 New Journeys  by elliska

Chapter 11: Memories

Lindomiel and Thranduil enjoyed their picnic, or at least the parts untainted by mice and spiders, and finally headed back to the city. The king was hesitant to part company with her this afternoon, since he was scheduled to leave Lothlorien the next day. Unfortunately they both had obligations to see to that afternoon, so their parting could not be avoided. As he left her at her flet, Lindomiel happily agreed to meet him for a walk that evening however and that gave Thranduil something to look forward to as he concluded his business.

As he went about his affairs, Thranduil spied Amroth, Amglaur and Celeborn seated under Celeborn's flet, having an animated conversation. It appeared to be casual and not related to affairs of state, so Thranduil paused for a moment and considered joining them. He had thoroughly enjoyed seeing his cousin Celeborn at this summit. When Celeborn caught sight of him and waved him over, Thranduil was all too happy to take a moment and visit with him despite the presence of Amglaur.

Celeborn smiled at him warmly as he approached, but he had a bit of a surprised and reproachful air to his expression as well. "Thranduil, Amglaur has just told me that you are scheduled to leave tomorrow! Surely you were not going back to Eryn Galen without even speaking to me?"

Thranduil looked at Amglaur sidelong. "Why does it not surprise me that Amglaur is well informed of my departure schedule," Thranduil said dryly. Amglaur returned his gaze placidly. The king returned his focus to his cousin. "Of course I planned on coming to say my farewells this afternoon, Celeborn."

Celeborn looked at him a little sadly. "I have truly enjoyed seeing you here, Thranduil. I sincerely hope that you will allow me the contact with my kin that your adar would not. We have very little family left. We should not be sundered."

Thranduil looked down. "My adar would never have turned you out of Eryn Galen, Celeborn," he said softly.

Celeborn laughed a little incredulously. "He moved his capital because he did not like that I was in Lorien! Forgive me if I did not feel welcome in Eryn Galen."

Thranduil grimaced now. "If that is what you heard, it is not true. Adar did not move the capital because you were in Lorien, Celeborn." His voice lowered a little. "Although your wife's presence here might have been a small factor." Celeborn adopted a 'see what I mean' posture and Thranduil's frown deepened. "He moved the capital because of the growing danger in the south. He would never have turned a Prince of Doriath from Eryn Galen and neither would I. You are always welcome in my home, Celeborn."

Celeborn eyed him coolly. "But my wife is not."

Thranduil scowled and looked away. "I did not say that." He fixed Celeborn with a stern look. "I do not like Lady Galadriel, Celeborn. I have the impression that she longs for a realm of her own and I would not trust her in such a position. Not even with you beside her because I think you are blind to her faults." He laughed bitterly. "I think you lost your mind to marry her. I will never understand that choice. But," he paused for emphasis. "I do respect your choice. And, though it pains me greatly to admit it, I learned some interesting information from your wife in this summit. I recognize her value as an ally against the Evil One and we need all of those we can find. I will not turn my back on useful resources. Even if they are the half niece of Feanor."

"So does that mean I can come to Eryn Galen with my wife or not, Thranduil," Celeborn asked, laughing lightly.

Thranduil snorted. "You and your wife are welcome in Eryn Galen. Just do not expect me to spend time alone with her."

Celeborn laughed. "Put you two in a room alone! Who would be foolish enough to do that?"

Amglaur smirked. "Might be worthwhile," he said softly with a snide tone. From his expression it was obvious that he was contemplating the damage the two powerful elves would do to each other. Contemplating it with some glee.

Thranduil raised an eyebrow and looked at Amglaur disdainfully. Suddenly, he remembered an interesting topic and his eyes slid from Amglaur to Celeborn. "So, cousin, perhaps now would be a good time to explain that comment you made on Yestarë about Amglaur and my adar. Something about their competitions?"

Amroth snorted, his eyes lighting up as Amglaur's expression soured instantly. He glared at Celeborn.

Celeborn looked caught. "Someday I will learn to keep my mouth shut," he muttered glancing between Amglaur and Thranduil.

Amroth was all too willing to tease his uncle with this topic, however. "Oh I remember many stories about Amglaur and Oropher that my adar told me," he began merrily. Amglaur turned wide, astonished eyes on his nephew, shocked by his apparently eager betrayal. "It seems that Oropher and his brother Engwe, Celeborn and his brother Galathil and my adar and his brother were quite the terrors in Doriath. I heard Oropher was the elfling everyone's parents feared their child would be friends with."

"My adar!" Thranduil exclaimed, completely stunned by that.

Celeborn was laughing ruefully. "Your adar was adventurous, Thranduil. He inspired a few activities that not all the parents thought were entirely safe or appropriate for noble elves."

Thranduil blinked. "My adar?!" he repeated. "My adar gave me lectures so stern that he could bring me to tears when I was forty...nearly fifty. He had no tolerance for misbehavior. Of any nature."

"That was experience," Amglaur said dryly. "He understood the potential for danger and he did not want his sons to give him the same grief he gave his parents. And I am sure he heard enough of that manner of lecture that he was fairly skilled at delivering them."

Thranduil looked at Amglaur coolly. "Did Amroth not mention that you ran with this pack of wolves? Pray tell, what was your role? You must have been the child everyone hoped their son would be friends with. A fine influence, no doubt."

"I was indeed," Amglaur replied seriously.

Celeborn exploded with laughter. "If you truly believe that, you are deluded, Amglaur. Was it not you and Amdir that led us all on that fishing expedition that nearly ended with Galathil's death? I do not think my adar wanted me any where near you after that and I was over one hundred. He would not even let Galathil speak to you."

"Galathil took unnecessary risks. I told him the rocks in that spot were too slippery, but he wanted to go there because there were more fish and he had not caught as many as me."

Amroth was laughing. "I remember this story. Amglaur caught more fish, but Oropher caught the biggest one," he chimed in.

Celeborn smirked. "And they argued the relative merits of each outcome all the way home while poor Galathil limped along between them with a broken ankle. He was ready to shove all your fish down your respective throats to measure who caught the most fish that way."

Amglaur looked at Celeborn disdainfully. "That is but one example of any idea of mine that led us to trouble. And I still say that was Galathil's own fault. Oropher, on the other hand, designed that insane horseracing course. That was the activity that angered the most parents in Doriath. Elu Thingol had to put an end to it."

Thranduil's jaw dropped. "My adar did something that the High King had to intervene to stop?!"

"Indeed. Disgraceful really."

Again Celeborn laughed heartily. "Might you feel that way because you fell off your horse and broke your leg and collarbone on that course."

Thranduil bit his lip to stifle a laugh. "You fell off your horse?" he asked. He could not suppress the laughter in his voice.

Amglaur glared at Celeborn a moment and then looked down his nose at Thranduil. "The course was ridiculously dangerous and Oropher purposefully mislead me regarding what conditions to expect."

"What was this race course like?" Thranduil asked, still laughing.

Celeborn snorted. "As I am sure you know, Thranduil, your adar loved horses. He had just been given an enormous chestnut stallion. It was a monster. The most mean spirited horse I have ever seen to date. The only person that could approach it was your adar."

"Yes, imagine that," Amglaur said in a soft, airy voice.

Celeborn laughed. "At any rate, that horse could jump anything. It was so agile and Oropher rode it like they were part of one another. Your adar took one of the paths we had made through the forest for hunting--a very winding one--and he put obstacles through out it, even in the turns. And not just logs or stones to jump. He dug holes too so you had to watch carefully. His special favorite was to put jumps under low hanging branches. It really was insane. We would go through it and see who could do it the fastest. And then we would change the conditions--move a jump, add another. It was fun, but there is no denying it was dangerous." He looked at Amglaur. "Needless to say, no one could set up an obstacle course through the path that Oropher and that horse could not win. He won every single race every time we raced. The second best time was what the rest of us competed for."

Thranduil looked impressed by that. "So why did Aran Thingol intervene?"

"Amglaur was not the only person injured. The guards and staff members were turning up unfit for duty. His courtier's sons and daughters were breaking bones. Horses were injured. He finally heard enough complaints, so he told us to take all the obstacles off the path and not recreate it."

Thranduil laughed. "I cannot imagine what adar would have done to me if I had done anything to attract the High King's attention."

"None of our parents were easy to live with after that for a good while...and we were adults," Celeborn reflected with a far off look, obviously remembering the experience. Then he put his hand on Thranduil's shoulder and looked at Amglaur mischievously. "But yes, everything your adar did, Amglaur had to do and everything Amglaur tried, your adar was right on his heels.  And more often than not, each found a reason to declare themself the winner of each contest and then proceed to argue their case. It was quite silly really."

"If anyone was silly, it was Oropher. He could never concede defeat," Amglaur said icily. "If you will excuse me, I think I have had enough discussion of Oropher for one day." He bowed and walked away in an overly dignified manner. Amroth laughed, shook his head, said his quick goodbyes and followed his uncle. As they walked away, it seemed Amroth was intent on continuing to tease Amglaur, for the older elf's pace quickened noticeably.

Celeborn watched their backs and laughed. Then he looked at Thranduil. "Do you truly know nothing of your adar's competitions with Amglaur?" he asked with sincere curiosity.

Thranduil shook his head. "Not a thing. I never had an impression from adar that he knew Amglaur well."

Celeborn laughed shortly, looking at Thranduil with wide eyes. "Well, then perhaps you should know, since I hear you have taken an interest in Lindomiel, that your adar and Amglaur most often competed for the attention of ladies. That was a contest your adar very rarely lost, much to Amglaur's annoyance. Oropher's chief victory in that respect was Dieneryn."

Thranduil's eyes widened. "Excuse me?"

Celeborn nodded. "Indeed. And that was no trifle. They both had fallen for her and she chose your adar. Neither Oropher or Amglaur played at that game because they were both truly in love. Amglaur accepted Diereryn's decision with true grace. Perhaps your naneth showed how wise she was, despite her youth, with her choice because Amglaur and Limmiel are perfectly suited for one another. But I confess that I am surprised that Amglaur has let Thranduil Oropherion anywhere near his daughter."

Thranduil shook his head. "Hearing that, so am I," he said softly.

***********

Yestarë--Elven New Year
Adar/ada--Father/dad
Aran--King





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List