Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 1 New Journeys  by elliska

Chapter 14: Family Breakfast

While his guests retired, Thranduil and his staff did not bother. The kingdom would be ruled whether or not its king had been merrymaking until dawn. So after everyone had a bath and change of clothes, they found themselves straight into their normal morning routine. For Thranduil and his ruling council this meant having breakfast together before beginning work.

This morning, since they spent most of the evening eating, breakfast was a light affair—fruit and bread with honey and tea. Everyone present knew the main purpose of this gathering was going to be discussion, not nourishment. Everyone present was looking at Thranduil with amused anticipation, willing him to comment on the guest that had so obviously caught his attention. Thranduil, on the other hand, was studiously avoiding their gazes and had focused on his food instead, refusing to acknowledge what they wanted. Aradunnon broke first, as he usually did.

“Come now, muindor nin, we all know you want to discuss her. So do we. Why must you be so stubborn?”

Thranduil looked at his brother levelly. Aradunnon knew perfectly well that this was not a topic he wanted to make light of and the fact that he appeared ready to do so annoyed Thranduil. “Who do you think I want to discuss, Aradunnon?” he said coolly. A warning.

Aradunnon laughed. He easily recognized the warning, but he was one of the few people that could get away with ignoring it. To a large degree, at any rate. “Oh well fine then, if that is how you feel, I will court her, for I found her very attractive.”

Everyone on the ruling council turned to Thranduil with interest at that apparent confirmation of their suspicions.

“So you do fancy this maiden from Lorien, Thranduil?” Engwe asked, his voice rising in pitch somewhat.

The king shot his brother an annoyed look that Aradunnon returned placidly before turning his attention to his now eagerly attentive advisors. “I found her company to be quite enjoyable in Lorien while I was there for the summit, uncle” he replied neutrally in a cool voice. Again, a clear warning.

The warriors Thranduil once served with and captained would have recognized and respected his reticence to pursue this topic. Indeed, most people in the kingdom would have ended the conversation there. Unfortunately, those present were not yet so reserved with the king. They were all older than Thranduil. Before they served him, they had served as his father’s advisors. They tended to look upon Thranduil as a youth despite his four millennia. This was an attitude he was quickly squelching, but it was not entirely conquered as yet.

“Is Limmiel visiting Dieneryn or is this maiden…what was her name?”

“Lindomiel,” Aradunnon supplied helpfully.

“Lindomiel. Is she visiting you, Thranduil?”

This was asked by Celonhael. Celonhael was a bright and merry elf despite the fact that he had seen the horrors in Doriath and Sirion. Of all the elves that had traveled east with Oropher, it was Celonhael that benefited most from the move. He had completely absorbed himself in the silvan community. Although his family had been part of the court in Menegroth, they also had an estate in the forest region of Neldoreth. He easily adapted to forest living in Eryn Galen. Moreover, he had quickly fallen for and married a silvan maiden. Thranduil valued his light-hearted humor and his connection to the silvan elves. Unfortunately, Thranduil's feelings about Lindomiel were not a topic he was anxious to make public as yet.

“I had dinner with Lord Amglaur while I was in Lorien and he suggested that he and his lady wife would enjoy seeing Dieneryn since she was unable to attend the council there,” Thranduil replied in an even more distant voice.

“You had dinner with Amglaur!” Golwon exclaimed, looking at Engwe. Engwe returned Golwon’s gaze with wide, amused eyes. Golwon was normally very quiet. He was reserved, but his aloof attitude concealed a temper that flared easily and burned hot. That temper and his fierce loyalty to Oropher had often driven him to conflict with Amglaur when they lived in closer proximity, so the idea that Thranduil was casually dining with the prince piqued his interest to put it mildly.

“Yes, I did,” Thranduil responded shortly.

Hallion frowned. Of all those present, he was the one person—along with Aradunnon—that both knew the full story and knew Thranduil well enough to know that this conversation was going to conclude poorly. As one of Thranduil’s former tutors, Hallion was aware that he tended to look on the king in a paternal fashion, but he also had the good sense to respect him—both as his king and as his friend. Engwe, Celonhael and Golwon still had not conquered the idea of Thranduil as Oropher’s son. They saw him as the elfling they had held in their laps rather than their equal as an adult.

Engwe and Golwon were now laughing at the topic of Thranduil dining with Amglaur. “Well you will have to tell us how that came about, Thranduil,” Engwe declared. “Your adar would not approve. He was not fond of Amglaur.”

Thranduil looked at Engwe evenly. “I believe I should remind you, uncle, that it has been three thousand five hundred years since I sought my adar’s permission before forming a friendship.” He paused. “But never fear, Lord Amglaur and I could scarcely be accused of friendship. I am perfectly aware of how he felt about my adar. He made that clear to me at the same time that he informed me that I am exactly like my adar in his eyes. Nevertheless, whatever past may exist between any of you and Lord Amglaur, you will keep it in the past. I intend to maintain closer relations between Lorien and Eryn Galen. I will not have my own advisors making that difficult due to rivalries that date back four millennia.”

Golwon laughed lightly. “You do not know the full nature of the rivalries.”

Dieneryn shot him a withering glare.

Thranduil replied without looking at his mother. “I know exactly the nature of the rivalries in question, Golwon, I assure you. That rivalry is clearly settled, given my presence and my brother’s and Lindomiel’s, would you not agree? I repeat—you will all treat Amglaur and his family with the same respect you would treat any other noble from Doriath. Is that clear?”

“It is clear, my lord,” Hallion replied before Engwe or Golwon could open their mouths again. Both flashed a glance at him and their eyes widened. Hallion had fixed them with a cold, disapproving glare.

Engwe would never be restrained by such an effort. He turned his attention back to his nephew. “You intend to maintain closer relations between Eryn Galen and Lorien?” he repeated. “So is that what Lindomiel represents? If so, I would concentrate my efforts on a maiden from Imladris or even Mithlond, Thranduil. Relations with Lorien will always be satisfactorily stable given that Lorien is populated by silvan elves like Eryn Galen. Political alliances with Imladris, however, might bring us beneficial information we would not otherwise obtain.”

Thranduil frowned severely at that speech. “I am not seeking political alliances, Engwe,” he replied shortly and firmly. “If I do, I will form them directly between myself, Elrond and Cirdan with treaties, not between myself and some noble maiden through marriage. If I marry, it will not be for political reasons. I would never submit myself to such a farce no matter how pleasant I found the maiden, nor would I ever ask anyone else to participate in such an arrangement, especially if I found the maiden to be pleasant.”

Engwe looked at Thranduil with wide eyes. “So you are sincerely attracted to her then?” he asked with amazement. “Do you not think she is a little young, Thranduil? What could you possibly have in common with her?”

Thranduil stared at his uncle for a moment with undisguised irritation. “What makes you think that I have any intention of discussing my personal life with you, Engwe? You are my uncle, not my father. You are my advisor, not my go-between. Limit your advice to affairs of state and keep your opinions on affairs of the heart to yourself.”

Engwe listened to this speech with obvious shock. Then he turned a glare on Thranduil that all in the room recognized as characteristic of the House of Oropher.

Celonhael interrupted the threatened battle in a soft voice. “Thranduil, you never dance, yet you danced twice with Lindomiel. You never pay particular attention to any maiden, yet you spoke in private with Lindomiel several times. And whenever she was not with you, you were watching her. If you intended to keep this private, well…forgive me, but you have failed. It is only natural that we are interested. We are your family. Surely we have been your friends for three millennia.”

Thranduil sighed, acknowledging that he could not deny the accuracy of Celonhael’s statement. He knew at the banquet that his behavior was attracting attention. He looked back at his plate. “As I already said, I found her company in Lorien to be enjoyable.”

Engwe frowned. He was still insulted by his nephew’s earlier rebuff and willing to challenge him. “How?” he asked brusquely. “What could you talk about? Dancing and festivals and frivolity? She could not possibly understand you, Thranduil, and quickly you will be bored with her. If it is stronger relations with Lorien that you seek, angering Ernil Amglaur by trifling with his daughter is no way to achieve your goal.”

Now Thranduil looked at his uncle with open anger. “I am aware that I have much to learn about diplomacy, Engwe, but I have grasped that much. I assure you that I have not invited the daughter of a prince to my kingdom to enjoy a summer tryst with her. Under her father’s eye, no less. Indeed, I am insulted by your suggestion that I might.” He paused. “It so happens that Lindomiel and I enjoy discussing politics together. She is quite a bit sharper than I in her analysis of certain situations. We also enjoy discussing literature. She is very well read, especially given the fact that she was raised in Rhovanion. And most of all, we enjoy spending time in the forest together. Since you insist upon knowing, yes—she is here so that she and I may spend more time together and so that she may become familiar with Eryn Galen. Would it be possible for you to avoid creating a negative impression of my forest and its people in her presence?”

All at the table were staring in silence at Thranduil by the time he finished speaking.

“I beg your pardon, Thranduil,” Engwe said quietly. “I did not intend to be insulting. I simply did not understand the situation. I certainly do not need to be instructed to behave courteously.”

Thranduil’s brows drew together. “Yet you think I do?”

“Perhaps it would be best if we moved to the king’s office and began to prepare for petitions,” Hallion suggested quietly before the argument between Thranduil and his uncle could escalate. 

Celonhael and Golwon took the hint and stood.

“Indeed, it is getting late,” Celonhael said pointedly, looking at Engwe. Engwe scowled but stood as well. Celonhael returned Engwe’s black look before turning a carefully respectful look to Thranduil. “By your leave, my lord, we will go wait for you in your office.”

Thranduil only nodded, still glaring at Engwe. Celonhael and Golwon subtly pulled Engwe from the dining room leaving Hallion, Aradunnon and Dieneryn with the king. Thranduil looked back down at his plate as his advisors left his sight.

“So what is your opinion, Hallion?” Dieneryn asked softly.

Thranduil’s brows knit together, but he did nothing else to demonstrate his irritation at his mother’s continuation of the discussion.

Hallion stared at the queen for a moment, obviously unwilling to betray the confidence Thranduil had placed in him, even to the queen. “I also found the young lady and her friends’ company quite enjoyable in Lorien, my lady,” he said neutrally.

Dieneryn laughed shortly, realizing that she would hear nothing further from Hallion. So she turned to her younger son. “And you, Aradunnon?”

Aradunnon smiled at his mother before turning back on his brother with a mischievous smile. “I thought she was very sweet. Soft spoken. Kind. Essentially, the exact opposite of you, Thranduil. I cannot imagine what either of you would see in each other.”

Hallion snorted at that description for he had a chance to see another side of the lady’s personality.

Aradunnon looked at Hallion with mock seriousness. “She is really much more suited to my temperament. I think I will court her.”

At that Thranduil grinned, recognizing his brother’s effort to tease him back into good humor. “Feel free. You may quickly find, as I did, that the sweet and innocent exterior conceals a sharp wit and deadly tongue when provoked.”

Dieneryn laughed at that. “And how did you provoke her, ion nin?”

“Who knows?” Thranduil laughed. “Who can ever predict what will set off an elleth, but set her off I have on a few occasions, so I can assure you that she holds her own. In fact, she clobbers me. I find myself completely lost when I am with her. I have never met anyone who can throw me off balance as she does.”

“Unless it is her father,” Hallion interjected grinning slyly at his friend.

“Valar! I despise her father,” Thranduil admitted in a very low voice.

Dieneryn laughed. “Yes, he is difficult to handle. One must have a skill for it. I think Hallion and I would be better suited to deal with Amglaur.”

Thranduil smiled grimly at his mother. “Yes, it took me a few days, but I did finally place that it was adar that he reminded me of. Somehow that temperament is much more acceptable in one’s own adar than in someone else’s.”

“Only because one is raised to respect one’s adar, ion nin,” Dieneryn replied, smiling. “I cannot believe Amglaur told you that he and Oropher…were rivals for my affections.”

Hallion raised his eyebrows. “Neither can I,” he added seriously.

Thranduil smirked and looked down. “He did not. Indeed I think he would be furious to discover that I know.” Thranduil smiled to himself. “I will have to find a way to mention it to him,” he said airily before addressing his mother again. “You may blame Celeborn for telling me that.”

Dieneryn laughed lightly. “He would. I will have to organize in my mind which embarrassing facts I would like to share with my sons about their cousin,” she replied playfully. “But all joking aside, Lindomiel seems like a wonderful maiden, Thranduil. I will make an effort to get to know her better. I am very pleased you invited her here.”

Thranduil snorted. “I did no such thing. Her adar informed me that he would come to Eryn Galen to judge for himself if I was a suitable ruler and if the environment here was acceptable for his daughter.”

Hallion’s eyes widened at that. “He actually said ‘suitable ruler?’”

“Well I do not remember his exact words, but that was the spirit of them. And if you think that is funny, he also informed Lindomiel that I was…well the word she used was ‘popular’ here, but she told me that was not the word her adar used.”

Aradunnon burst out laughing. “Amglaur warned his daughter that you are loose? Oh that is rich. I have never met a more conservative elf! Have you ever, in all your nearly four millennia, even kissed a maiden?”

Thranduil gave his brother an icy stare. “Not nearly as many as you have, little brother, I assure you. Indeed, perhaps it is your reputation Amglaur is getting confused with mine. But do not feign such shock. I heard you telling Lindomiel exactly the same gossip last night. Perhaps I should seek revenge by mentioning that incident with the potter’s daughter in the stables?”

Aradunnon became instantly sober and looked at his older brother with serious, pleading eyes. Thranduil gave him a knowing smile in return.

Dieneryn only laughed. “Perhaps Lindomiel has a friend for my youngest son. Before he gets himself in too much trouble. Indeed, we finally find ourselves in a time of peace. It is well past time for both of you to marry.”

Both Thranduil and Aradunnon turned nervous eyes to their mother. “Naneth, I am not ready to marry,” Aradunnon declared firmly.

Thranduil laughed. “Indeed, you can forget any hopes you have for Lindomiel’s friends and Aradunnon. He already made his character known to them. As for myself, this is merely a visit, Naneth. To allow Lindomiel and I to get to know one another and to permit her to become acquainted with Eryn Galen and the people here. I am saying nothing of marriage,” Thranduil added.

“What is wrong with my sons? Find a wife! You both need an elleth to make you better people!” she declared, rising from the breakfast table and stalking off.

“To make us slaves, you mean,” Aradunnon muttered to his brother.

Thranduil nodded, following his mother’s departure with his eyes.

Hallion laughed. “Yes, it is slavery, but it is a very sweet slavery. I miss it very much.”

*~*~*~*~*

Muindor nin--my brother
Elleth--Female elf
Adar/ada--Father/dad
Naneth/nana--Mother/mum
ion nin--my son 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List