Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 1 New Journeys  by elliska

Chapter 16: Gossip

Marti was glowering. She had heard gossip from the guards that Thranduil had taken a shine to some young elleth during his stay in Lothlorien, but she had not concerned herself with it. After all, the maiden lived leagues away. In the last week, she had indeed been distressed when the rumor circulated that the lady in question was to visit Eryn Galen. Marti had studied Lindomiel carefully during the feast on the night of their arrival. She did not see how this princess from the Golden Wood was so special, but she shrugged it off again. The king did not seem overly interested in her. He only danced with her twice and did not spend too much time with her.

Until he disappeared for hours with her yesterday afternoon.

This morning, Marti was seated in the courtyard on a bench along the path between the king's offices and the Great Hall. She normally watched the king walk from his morning meeting in his office to petitions in the Great Hall. While waiting to catch sight of him, she pouted. Chin balanced in her hands, elbows on her knees, she frowned in a most unlady-like manner. Her long dark hair fell like a curtain over her face. She wanted to know what the king and the little interloper had done when they were off alone. She wanted to know if anything serious had actually developed between them. If so, she would be furious. She had been in Eryn Galen since Thranduil had become king. She had dedicated herself to him, even studying weaving with his mother. There was no possibility that she was going to allow this little vixen to come between her and her king.

Marti perked up. The door to the king’s office was opening again. She straightened her gown and smoothed her hair. The king descended the stairs from his flet and started down the path accompanied by Hallion and two guards. Marti frowned. She liked to try to engage the king in conversation when he passed by, but that was almost never possible when his advisors were around. Especially Hallion. At least she would see him. As Thranduil approached, Marti stood and put on her prettiest smile.

“My lord,” she said, sweetly, as he passed.

He glanced over at her and hastily smiled. “Fair morning, Marti,” he said as he and his advisor strode by.

She watched his graceful, feline beauty as he walked.  He was handsome. And strong. Powerful. He radiated power. Marti looked at him with a feral gleam in her eyes.

"Are you certain accepting Amglaur's invitation to join him on the archery range this afternoon is a wise decision, Thranduil," Hallion was saying in a somewhat teasing tone as they walked.

"There is no point in refusing him. He will only continue to ask until he is satisfied," the king replied dryly.

"Do you really think he will be satisfied with the outcome of this contest, mellon nin?" Hallion asked pointedly.

"I doubt it," Thranduil responded with an undeniable gleam in his eye.

The mischievous expression on Hallion's face brightened. "That aside, are you not somewhat concerned about seeing him after...well, given the condition in which you brought Lindomiel back to him last night?" Hallion teased.

Thranduil laughed. "Indeed. Perhaps the archery range is not the best place for me to be with Amglaur under the circumstances. I suppose the timing of the invitation is rather suspicious."

At that point, Thranduil and Hallion walked too far past and Marti could hear no more of the conversation. Her eyes had narrowed. What 'condition' was the little princess in that Thranduil needed to be concerned about her father's reaction? Marti intended to find out. And, at least now she knew to go practice archery this afternoon.

*~*~*

The king worked through the morning--his morning briefing and then petitions as usual. Now, the members of his council were slowly trickling out of the Great Hall for lunch. Hallion and Engwe still flanked Thranduil at one of the tables in the Hall outlining the issues that would be addressed when the council reconvened after their break. All looked up with some surprise at the sound of a female voice.

"Excuse me, Thranduil."

Thranduil smiled warmly at the sight before him--Lindomiel with a basket. Lunch, undoubtedly. Lindomiel relaxed considerably seeing his response.

"I apologize for interrupting. The guard at the door told me to come in. He said you were breaking for lunch. I was going for a walk in the forest to eat lunch and you said you might want to accompany me when I went to get to know your forest, so I thought I would invite you."

Thranduil stood with a delighted look on his face. "I would love to join you, my lady."

Engwe shook his head. "Is this going to become a regular occurrence," he asked coolly.

Everyone in the hall turned to him with varying reactions. Thranduil's eyes narrowed dangerously. He had tolerated a great deal already in private. He certainly was not going allow Engwe to behave so poorly in Lindomiel's presence. But before he could silence his uncle, Lindomiel spoke to him, her own brow furrowed somewhat.

"Surely eating lunch is already a 'regular occurrence' in Eryn Galen, Lord Engwe."

Thranduil raised his eyebrows slightly. He had never heard Lindomiel bother to apply a title to anyone's name, whether referring to them or addressing them.

Engwe returned her gaze frostily. "The elf who you seem so determined to distract is the king of Eryn Galen, pen neth. Lunch is not a guaranteed event for him. Abandoning duty for two afternoons in a row is out of the question."

Thranduil's mouth opened to issue a fairly sharp reprimand, but again he was forestalled by Lindomiel.

"My adar mentioned to me that the elves in the House of Oropher were odd, but he certainly did not tell me that they had conquered the need for nourishment. That is a feat indeed." She paused. "And the next time you speak to me, you will consider a different form of address. A more respectful one."

Thranduil looked between Lindomiel's hooded eyes as they regarded Engwe coolly and his uncle's now furious countenance and chuckled. Engwe had just waded into waters that were far over his head. Hallion had turned his face partially from Engwe to hide his amused expression. He also had a good idea who would be the victor in this round.

"You are speaking to me of respect?" Engwe asked, voice rising slightly. "Do you consider it respectful, as a guest in my realm, to insult my brother and his House?"

"Indeed I am speaking to you of respect, Lord Engwe," Lindomiel replied calmly. "I issued no insult. I merely observed that it is odd that the elves in your family apparently do not need to eat. But I will not listen to you speak to me as if I were an elfling. Nor do I enjoy listening to you speak to your king as if he were an elfling. In Lorien we do not issue orders to Lord Amroth, much less in the presence of foreigners. Indeed, it would never occur to me to gainsay my king under any circumstances. So, in short, to answer you question--yes, it seems to me that you sincerely want a lesson in at least respect for your betters and possibly in basic manners."

Engwe stared at Lindomiel in slack-jawed shock, an absolutely outraged expression on his face.

Hallion covered his mouth with his hand to stifle his laughter. Thranduil did not bother. He laughed out loud. "Well said, Lindomiel."

Engwe turned wide eyes to Thranduil.

The king only laughed harder. "I suggest you think on the lesson you have just received, Lord Engwe. It is likely to be the last gentle one you hear." Thranduil looked at Hallion. "I will be back for afternoon council. I may be slightly later than normal, however. You can wait for me."

"Of course, my lord," Hallion replied. His voice was almost steady, but a hint of mirth was still evident in it.

Lindomiel smiled at Hallion as she took Thranduil's arm and left the Great Hall. He was still chuckling as they entered the forest.

She looked at him sidelong. "I take it from your demeanor that you are not upset with me?"

Thranduil laughed again. "Upset? I do not think I have been so thoroughly entertained in many yén."

She laughed lightly as well. "Why do you tolerate him?"

Thranduil shrugged. "He is my uncle. My elder. He will always look on me as a little elfling. He also provides invaluable advice on military matters. He is really much more respectful now than he was when I first became king. You should have seen us in Mordor. You would think that I had never commanded troops the way he treated me. But, I had never commanded battles of that scale. He had. So I learned to respect him. He will learn to respect me. And he truly does have Eryn Galen's best interest at heart."

"If that is so, he should not publicly gainsay her king."

"When he was young, he argued with Elu Thingol once or twice. How can it surprise me that he treats me as he does?"

Lindomiel shook her head. "It is your council, Thranduil. Govern it as you wish."

Thranduil smiled at her, lifting her hand from his arm to his lips and kissing it lightly. "I do. And that often annoys Engwe."

Lindomiel loosed a short laugh, but said nothing.

They walked a good way into the forest. Thranduil let Lindomiel choose their path, meandering aimlessly through the trees. He watched her as she ran her hand softly over their trunks, pausing to stroke her fingers down their bark. He was amazed at the way the trees responded to her. They seemed to sing a soft song, welcoming this new presence amongst them. Finally, she stopped by a large oak. She sat, leaning against its trunk, and began to unpack the lunch in the basket.

"I never let this basket out of my hands. There should be no mice this time," she quipped.

Thranduil grinned. "Good. I am hungry today," he replied, helping her spread the food and pouring the wine. After they began eating, he looked at her evenly. "Did your adar have anything to say to you about coming home soaking wet?" he asked with a neutral tone.

"No," she replied simply, laughing lightly.

Thranduil's eyebrows went up. "Nothing at all?"

Lindomiel looked at him and shook her head. "He knows I like to swim. On a day as hot as it was yesterday, it could not have surprised him that I took advantage of the gifts of the river."

As she spoke, Lindomiel was looking behind Thranduil and at the ground intently, but with a slight smile on her face. The king turned in the direction she was looking and his gaze was met by the curious and somewhat suspicious glare of a fat squirrel. It glanced at the king, dismissing him easily, and turned its attention back to Lindomiel. She casually tossed it a piece of one of the nut cakes she had packed with the lunch. It looked at her a moment longer before picking up the treat in its paws. Lindomiel watched as it sniffed the offering and then devoured it eagerly. Once it had, it scampered closer, flicking its tail eagerly and looking between her hands and her face. Lindomiel smiled.

"If you want more little one, I want something in return. Come here," she instructed in a soft voice, holding another piece of the nut cake on the flat of her palm.

The squirrel sat up on its haunches and appeared to scowl at her. Then it cautiously approached, one little hop at a time. Lindomiel did not move. Finally the squirrel walked across her legs and to her hand. It snatched the treat and scurried off a few feet and closer to Thranduil to enjoy it. As soon as that bite was gone, another was placed in Lindomiel's hand. The squirrel came unhesitantly this time, straight to her hand and took the nuts. Instead of running off, it munched the treat next to her. She reached out her hand and stroked its tail with two fingers. The squirrel glared at her, but did not resist. Instead it looked at her expectantly.

"I get to pet you if you get my cake, little one. That is my offer to you. I like your tail. It is pretty."

As if in response, the squirrel flicked its bushy tail a few times. Then it put its front paws on her leg, looking up at her with pleading eyes. Lindomiel smiled. Holding some of the nut cake in one hand, she gently stroked the squirrel's tail with the other. It allowed that, begrudgingly, but it did allow it, even after all the nut cake was summarily dispatched.

Thranduil watched this scene with amusement.

Finally the squirrel got tired of the attention and bound away, leaping from Lindomiel across Thranduil's lap and into the tree to his right. Once in the tree, it chattered at them a moment and then disappeared. Lindomiel smiled, following it with her eyes until it was completely obscured by the dense branches.

"You could probably follow him, you know. Since you are so thoroughly enamored," Thranduil teased.

Lindomiel laughed. "Perhaps I will."

With that, she stood and climbed into the oak behind them. Thranduil smirked and after a moment followed her. She ascended swiftly through the branches and finally settled herself on a limb high in the canopy. She smirked at Thranduil when he joined her.

"How is it that an old, Sindarin elf climbs so easily into the trees?" 

Thranduil looked at her with a mock-offended expression. "These trees know me extremely well, my lady. They would never allow ill to befall me in their embrace," he said with exaggerated indignance. "And I know them. I may have been born in Doriath, but I lived three quarters of my life here. I have protected this forest for nearly four millennia and it knows how much I love it."

Lindomiel nodded seriously. "Yes, it plainly does," she responded softly.

"And I am not the only Sindarin elf here, my lady. Lest you forget, both your parents are Sindarin as well."

It was Lindomiel's turn to look with teasing indifference at the king. "I was born in Lorien and raised amongst the Silvan from birth. I am completely at home in any forest. Indeed, I cannot imagine not living amongst the trees."

Thranduil nodded his head in agreement, leaning back on the limb behind him, his arms stretched out to either side of him, hooked over the branch he leaned against. "I cannot imagine anything else myself."

Lindomiel leaned sideways against the same branch, facing him. "I doubt your uncle Engwe would approve of you sitting in the trees. I think he would prefer to have you in the Great Hall at this moment."

Thranduil snorted and reached for her hand. "None of my advisors will have returned from lunch yet. I am certain he would prefer for me to be in the Hall or my office reading for the afternoon meeting. But I am equally certain he will survive that fact that I did not. He has survived much worse things."

"I think he doubts whether anyone in Eryn Galen will survive my influence on you."

Thranduil looked at her seriously. He drew the knuckles of his index finger softly along her cheek. "I do not care what he doubts or thinks or fears. His opinion is of no concern to me. And he does not truly hold anything against you in particular, my lady. He complains of everything. He growls if I dismiss the council before nightfall or if I spend too much time enjoying the sunrise and arrive slightly late in the morning. It is simply in his nature to be disapproving in general. Do not pay him any mind."

She shrugged. "I do not." She paused and followed a large butterfly with delighted eyes as it flitted through the trees. "I hear you and my adar are meeting for an archery contest this evening before dinner," she commented idly without looking at him.

"Indeed we are," he responded calmly.

"That should be interesting. Forgive me if I do not come to watch," she said dryly.

Thranduil laughed ruefully. "I would prefer that you did not, my lady. I should like for you to avoid seeing the violence that contest is likely to inspire."

Lindomiel looked at him gravely. "That is not a joke, you know. Adar is good at archery, as you may know from the war. He takes it very seriously. No outcome of this contest will be good for you. If you win, it is not likely that he will accept that gracefully. And if you lose...Valar help you, you will never hear the end of it."

"I will not lose," he responded quietly.

Lindomiel looked at him with amused eyes. "Well I look forward to hearing about the results at dinner." After a moment, she pulled a ribbon from her hair and braided it into the lacings that fastened his dress robes. "Not that I think you will need it...I know your skill with a bow...but let us see what affect this distraction will have on my adar," she joked as she did.

Thranduil smiled at her, absently stroking the silken ribbon. He knew exactly what her father's reaction would be to this favor. He was not sure whether to laugh or be fearful.

*~*~*

Later that afternoon, three of the king's guards and several of their companions sat in the shack used to house the archery targets and other equipment on the training field. They were all finished with work for the day and had come to the archery range to entertain themselves for a while before dinner. One of the guards present was Tulus, the guard that had accompanied the king to the river the previous afternoon. Tulus had no concept of discretion. For that reason, the group of friends had not done more than enter the shack to retrieve some targets before becoming distracted with conversation.

"She threw him in the river!" Belloth, one of the guards exclaimed, laughing incredulously. Everyone's eyes were as big as the moon.

"On my life, that is exactly what she did. I almost went charging over to him. I had no idea what to make of that. I certainly never expected it," Tulus replied.

"I would be willing to bet that the king did not expect it either," chimed Hurion, another guard. He was laughing too.

"He did not appear to. He did not really seem to know what to make of the entire situation. But they played in the river for a solid hour. And I mean that--played. My fifteen year old son and his friends behave similarly."

Hurion and Belloth smiled at that. "Good," nodded Hurion. "It has been a long time since the king simply relaxed and had a little fun. I would have enjoyed seeing that."

Tulus' eyes lit up with that comment. "I will tell what part of the entire adventure you would have enjoyed seeing," Tulus began with a mischievous grin on his face. Then he glanced at their friends and looked down. "But perhaps this is not the best time to discuss it," he said quietly.

The other elves raised their eyebrows and looked at Tulus with amusement. "You cannot leave us like that, Tulus. You must tell the story now."

Tulus smirked. "This may not be appropriate to repeat in general company."

Belloth and Hurion frowned. If that were the case, Tulus should have kept his mouth shut in the first place. He had already said too much. Their friends just laughed. They fully intended to have all the information now.

One looked at Tulus with an exaggeratedly shocked look. "Surely you are not implying that the king and Lindomiel behaved improperly. I cannot believe the king would do anything untoward," he taunted. He knew Tulus well. It took very little to get him talking.

Tulus let out a short laugh. "The king, no. He did nothing. Lindomiel on the other hand..."

"I do not think you should discuss this, Tulus," Belloth interrupted firmly. He also knew the expression on Tulus' face--the look of a consummate gossip.

"Indeed, this is the king's business and not for us to rumormonger," Hurion agreed.

Tulus just laughed again. "It is Lindomiel's business and you had better hear a warning else you may fall out of a tree as I did."

Eyes widened and jaws dropped. Tulus laughed even harder.

"Indeed. You would have fallen out of the tree you were sitting in if Lindomiel had stripped naked in front of you without warning too."

"She did what?!" Belloth gasped involuntarily. If Tulus' audience looked astonished that he had fallen out of a tree, his reason for doing so nearly made them drop unconscious.

Tulus only nodded. "Naked," he repeated. "Right there on the bank of the river. She took off her shift and wrung it out, talking with Thranduil the entire time. I could not hear what they were saying, but one could guess...." Tulus appeared ready to speculate despite the overtly disapproving glares of Belloth and Hurion, but he was interrupted. This time, not by the other guards.

"Tulus, Belloth, Hurion. I would like to see the three of you in my office. Now."

Tulus' mouth froze open in mid-word and his eyes flew wide with guilt and fear. His back was to the door, but that voice was unmistakable. Thranduil. His voice was soft as velvet. The guards knew their king well enough to know that was a very bad sign. Belloth and Hurion were so stunned that they could do nothing but stare over Tulus' shoulders at the sight of the king behind him. He stood in the doorway of the shack, bow in hand and a cold look in his eyes that made ice form in the guards' blood. Worse, Amglaur stood behind the king. His fists were clenched and his lips were pressed together in a hard line.

"I said now," the king repeated dangerously, standing aside to allow the guards passage through the door.

Tulus, Belloth and Hurion moved quickly and silently out of the shack. Thranduil followed.

“I will be joining you also, Thranduil,” said Amglaur firmly, pursuing them.

“No doubt,” Thranduil muttered but did not pause.

The guards' friends stared at them sympathetically as they departed.

When they reached his office, Thranduil instructed the guards at the entrance not to disturb him, closed the doors and drew the curtain for privacy. That done, he turned on his guards, addressing Tulus first.

“What do you think you were doing?” he asked with no preamble.

Tulus stared at him silently for a moment. "My lord, I meant no harm..." he stumbled to a halt, not really sure what to say.

Thranduil's eyes narrowed. "You meant no harm," he repeated. "Tell me, Tulus, do you make a habit of discussing everything you see when you are with me? Do you, for example, share with your family and friends the details of my conversations in the council chambers or my family's quarters? Do you make a habit of this, Tulus?"

"My lord, I have never repeated anything that I have heard in your presence," Tulus said, shocked by the accusation, but unfortunately understanding it all too well.

"So you do not repeat what was said. You must prefer describing what was done. Tell me, Tulus, is any aspect of my life or the lives of those around me confidential in your mind or is it appropriate to share anything with anyone?"

"My lord, I was not speaking of your actions..." Tulus began defensively. A mistake.

"Indeed you were not," Thranduil interrupted in an openly furious voice. "You were discussing Lindomiel. Am I to see that as an improvement?"

Tulus let out a frustrated sigh. "She did strip naked on the river bank. I was not making up rumor. I was relating facts."

Thranduil blinked. "Is that supposed to be some sort of justification for your actions, Tulus? How could those facts be considered appropriate information to relate to others? How could what you were saying be construed as anything other than gossip?"

Tulus frowned. "Well, my lord, her actions were shocking..."

Thranduil snorted. "So this is her fault? Her actions provoked your behavior?"

Tulus' frown deepened. "I think so, my lord. Yes. I mean, what she did was extremely forward behavior. It begged commentary..."

"You want to reconsider that assessment, Tulus. Think very carefully. Is there any justification for the conversation you were having on the range?"

Tulus' expression became openly irate. "How would you have reacted? What manner of elleth publicly..."

"Silence," Thranduil snapped. "You saw how I reacted, Tulus. I will not listen to you speak thusly of Lady Lindomiel. Remind me, Tulus. What was the oath you made to me when you became a member of my guard?”

Tulus looked at Thranduil and took a deep, calming breath. He repeated the oath he made upon Thranduil’s coronation. “I here swear fealty to the Woodland Realm; to protect my King and his people, foremost in battle, courteous at all times, and to set an example of honor to all; Thus swear I, Tulus.”

Thranduil glared at him. “Could you remind me one more time of the last two lines of that oath?”

Tulus looked down now. “Courteous at all times, and to set an example of honor to all.”

“Are you under the impression that spreading scandal about the daughters of visiting foreign dignitaries is ‘courteous’ or ‘sets an example of honor to all,’ Tulus?”

Tulus looked defiantly at Thranduil, speaking in an openly annoyed and fairly mocking tone. "I am not, my lord. Nor am I under the impression that stripping naked in front of the king and his guard is courteous, honorable or behavior that exemplifies the term 'dignitary.'"

Thranduil stared at Tulus for a moment completely astonished by his audacity.

Amglaur had listened silently to this interchange, feeling it would be best to allow the King of the Woodland Realm to handle his own people, but his anger was rising by the minute. His daughter had told him at breakfast exactly what she had done with Thranduil the day before. He and his wife had exchanged concerned glances and he had made a note to talk to Thranduil about it in more detail. He knew his daughter’s innocence did not allow her to see anything untoward in her actions. He wanted to make sure Thranduil recognized that, but he was not truly concerned because if Thranduil had acted on any…impulse, his daughter would have told him that, as well.

But Amglaur was not a dullard. He knew there were elves that would not recognize his daughter’s innocence and inexperience. Tulus was apparently one of them.

Amglaur looked at Thranduil, now barely restraining himself from intervening and watching to see how the king would deal with his guard.

Thranduil glared at Tulus dangerously. “I will not have anyone on my guard who will speak to me as you just did. Most importantly, I will not have anyone on my guard that would take the attitude that you just did on the subject we were discussing. You are dismissed from my service,” Thranduil said with barely contained fury.

Tulus looked angrily at Thranduil and appeared ready to speak.

Thranduil’s mouth formed a hard line. “Push me further, Tulus,” he said threateningly as his hands balled into tight fists.

Tulus' eyes darted from the black look on Thranduil's face, to his hands and then to the horrified looks on the faces of his colleagues. He held his tongue.

Thranduil opened his mouth to dismiss him, but his eyes fell on Amglaur. Turning to him, he spoke softly, for his ears only. “Forgive me. In truth, it was not entirely my place to handle this. Do you want to speak to Tulus?”

“No, I believe you have settled it satisfactorily,” he answered in an equally quiet voice. It shook with rage.

Coldly, Thranduil turned back to Tulus. "You are very lucky the Prince of Lorien is responding to this with such restraint, Tulus. If I had a daughter and I heard someone speaking of her as I just heard you speaking of Lady Lindomiel, it is very unlikely that my reaction would be so moderate. When she told me she intended to wring out her shift, I reminded her that a guard was with us. Her response was, 'Surely your guard will have the honor not to stare.' It seems the lady has misplaced her trust. Apologize to Lord Amglaur for your treatment of his daughter."

Shame did show in Tulus' eyes at that statement. "I apologize," he said quietly. "For assuming the lady's actions were anything but innocent and for gossiping about her. I truly meant no harm."

Amglaur glared at the guard coldly. "You would be wise to not be heard saying my daughter's name ever again, Tulus."

"Yes, my lord," Tulus replied softly.

When Amglaur said nothing else, Thranduil spoke. “Get out of my sight.”

Tulus fled.

Thranduil followed him to the door, fixing Belloth and Hurion in place with a cold glare. "Bring me, Conuiön. Right now," Thranduil demanded of one of the guards at the door before shutting it again. Then he turned his attention on the remaining two guards.

"Can the two of you demonstrate better judgment?" he asked icily.

Belloth glanced at Hurion and then he spoke. "My lord, we both told Tulus not to continue speaking. Neither of us approved of what he was doing," he said softly and with obvious concern.

Thranduil glared at him. "So I heard. Yet, the conversation continued. In a public arena."

"There is nothing we can say to defend ourselves, my lord," Hurion said. "We should have done more to silence Tulus. We at least should not have participated."

Thranduil studied them both silently for a moment. "I am astonished that you did not do more to end that conversation. Both of you have been in your positions far too long to participate in gossip about the people you guard. I am more disappointed then I can express to see two of my most trusted guards engaged in such disloyal conduct."

Both guards grimaced slightly and looked down, but they made no reply.

Thranduil sighed. "You at least told Tulus to be silent once and you did accept that your actions were wrong. I am inclined to let you go with a warning that if I ever see similar behavior again I will not just dismiss you, I may banish you."

The guards looked between Thranduil and Amglaur nervously, not knowing if that was the king's final word. Thranduil looked at Amglaur. The prince's eyes had narrowed angrily.

"I do not trust anyone who would speak of my daughter in such a way to be around her, Lord Thranduil," he said firmly.

Belloth's brow furrowed. "May I speak, my lord?"

Thranduil nodded.

Belloth turned to Amglaur. "With respect, my lord, neither Hurion nor myself have said anything about Lady Lindomiel. Nor would we. If the king had not arrived when he did, I can say that for my part, I would not have allowed the conversation to continue." Hurion nodded to that. "I do not deny that we should have silenced Tulus before he said as much as he did, and I sincerely apologize for not doing so, but we would never show disrespect to any of the king's guests. You have absolutely nothing to fear from us, my lord. I swear that upon my life."

"I believe that, Lord Amglaur," Thranduil added softly. "These two served my father in Doriath. They have never done anything before this to show themselves as anything but reliable. But I will bow to your wishes. I will do nothing that leaves you uncomfortable with your lady daughter's safety."

Amglaur scowled. "I will trust your judgment, Lord Thranduil." His eyes shifted to the guards. "Pray that my trust has not been misplaced as my daughter's was."

Thranduil's mouth formed a hard line at that threat, not certain at whom it was directed. Belloth and Hurion looked at Amglaur and then at Thranduil with barely concealed shock as well. "You are both dismissed," Thranduil said quietly.

The guards bowed and left. As they did, Conuiön ascended the stairs to the flet, looking with concern at the serious expressions of his subordinates and then alarm at the obviously furious expressions on the king and prince's faces.

"You asked for me, my lord," he said, entering the office.

"Yes I did. I need to inform you that I dismissed Tulus."

Conuiön's eyes widened slightly before he stifled his reaction and pasted an impassive mask on his face. This was obviously not a situation to play with. The tension in the room was palatable.

Thranduil continued without pausing. “I want to meet with every one of the guards you command tomorrow morning before I meet with my council. At that time I want your recommendations on a replacement for Tulus as well.”

“Yes, my lord.”

“You are dismissed. I will speak to Lord Amglaur privately for a moment.”

Conuiön stared at the king for a moment. He had made it plain that he did not care to pursue the conversation, but Conuiön knew Thranduil very well. He was clearly furious. Conuiön was very concerned about what had happened to cause Tulus to be dismissed. Nevertheless, now did not appear to be the time to challenge the king's orders.

"Yes, my lord," he replied calmly. Bowing, he left the office.

Thranduil watched Conuiön leave. With a deep sigh, he straightened his back and faced Amglaur. This had done nothing to improve Amglaur’s outlook on Eryn Galen, he was sure.

Thranduil looked Amglaur in the eye. “I know that I do not have to explain any of Tulus’ comments to you because I know you have no reason to doubt your daughter’s honor. You also have no reason to trust mine. I want you to be certain that it is plain to me that Lindomiel is a complete innocent. I would never betray that innocence.” He lowered his eyes and continued in a softer voice. “I find it…captivating. I would never do anything to corrupt it.” His voice hardened again and his eyes drifted to the door. “Nor will I stand by while others corrupt it.”

Amglaur studied Thranduil for a moment. Finally, he spoke. “I do not doubt that, Thranduil. Despite what Lindomiel repeated to you, I do not truly believe you would behave inappropriately with any elleth.” He paused. “You know,” he continued quietly. “Lindomiel tells her naneth and I everything. She told us at dinner all about your walk yesterday.”

Thranduil looked at Amlgaur evenly, his face impassive.

“I am a little shocked that you did not stop my daughter from swimming in such an odd place or from...I assume she was drying off her shift.”

Thranduil frowned at that. “She was," he confirmed. Then his expression revealed frustration. "How do you expect that I could have stopped either action? I told her that there were pools nearer the city where we normally swim here. She said they were too crowded and too far away. When she went to dry her shift, I reminded her of the guard. I already mentioned what her reaction was.” He shook his head. “How was I to stop her short of physically preventing her...and how would you propose I do that? I could not stop her."

Amglaur surprised Thranduil by reacting to the king's obviously concerned tone by laughing lightly. "I see you will have no more influence over Lindomiel than I do then. That is a small satisfaction."

Thranduil looked at Amglaur with confusion. "Excuse me?"

Amglaur smirked at Thranduil. "You will find that Lindomiel knows her own mind very thoroughly." The hard look returned to Amglaur's face. "I assume this conversation you will have with your guards tomorrow morning is to inform them of how they will treat my daughter?"

“Precisely. I will discuss with my guards exactly how they are to behave, you may be assured. But you may also be assured that I have no intention of taking anymore walks along the river with her.”

Amglaur laughed sourly. “She will just do something else in some other situation that could be taken advantage of. She truly saw nothing untoward about her behavior with you..."

"Neither did I, Amglaur," Thranduil interrupted. "It was obvious that she simply wanted to enjoy herself swimming on a hot afternoon. Nothing more."

"Well, clearly that was not obvious to everyone and Lindomiel would never see how anyone could interpret her actions any differently. Make no mistake, she has her father’s sharp tongue, as I think you have observed. She can stand up to any one in an argument or when confronted. If someone does treat her improperly, she is not shy about telling them or defending herself if need be. But it would never occur to her to assign anything but pure motives to anyone's actions. She would be both shocked and hurt to realize that anyone thought her motives were anything less than innocent.” He paused for emphasis and looked at Thranduil. “I want her to retain that innocence. All of us who were driven from Menegroth would like to still see only beauty in the world. But the world is simply not like that anymore. I do not want Lindomiel to learn that the same way we were forced to.”

Thranduil nodded and looked down with pain in his eyes. “We are in complete agreement. I meant what I said--I will not leave you concerned with your daughter's safety.”

Amglaur returned Thranduil’s gaze coolly. “I hope not, but we shall see. As I told you in Lorien when I suggested this visit—the environment in Eryn Galen is what I am here to evaluate.” He paused but Thranduil bit his tongue. Rising to that bait would not further the cause of convincing Amglaur that Greenwood was a suitable environment for his daughter. When Thranduil did not speak, Amglaur continued. “Lindomiel has told me that she finds Eryn Galen to be very lovely.” He glared at Thranduil bitterly, reaching forward and jerking the ribbon entwined on his dress robes. Thranduil lifted his chin slightly, but made no other reaction. “I cannot imagine why. It cannot hold a candle to the Golden Wood. But you can never account for tastes.” He stood. “Shall we go to dinner? It is late. I fear you are keeping your guests waiting.”

Thranduil studied his guest for a moment. Without comment, he gestured for Amglaur to precede him from the room.

*~*~*

mellon nin--my friend
pen neth--young one
elleth--female elf
adar/ada--father/dad





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List