Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Interrupted Journeys: Part 1 New Journeys  by elliska

Chapter 23: Preparations

Thranduil and Lindomiel walked along the paths in the forest, talking quietly and trying to ignore the especially prominent presence of Thranduil’s guards. The previous day had been very difficult for them both and they simply wanted to find some degree of normality on this walk before the family gathered to begin the wedding festivities. For Lindomiel, that meant leading Thranduil off to the oak in the glade where they had spent time so many times before. There she wanted to enjoy the feeling of his arms about her if for only a few moments before they plunged back into the crowds that had surrounded them for the last weeks. When they reached the glade, Thranduil threw his cloak on the ground and sat on it. Lindomiel sat next to him and settled herself against him, leaning her back against his chest. One arm behind him to support their weight, the other around her waist, Thranduil happily accepted this arrangement. He leaned forward slightly to place a kiss on her neck at her jaw line and smiled when he felt her shiver at the contact.

She sighed and was still for a moment. Yes, this was much better. She looked at him coyly. “So will I finally get to see you unleashed tonight?” she asked in a soft voice.

He arched his eyebrows. “What, precisely, is that supposed to mean, meleth nin?” he asked with amused surprise in his voice.

“It means,” she said shifting a little to look at him directly, “that when ever you touch me—whether to kiss my hand or…anything else,” she smirked and he did as well, “you always look to me like you are carefully reined in. I have been quite anxious to see you…much less reined in. ‘Abandoned’ I think was the word I used to describe it to someone once.”

That last phrase earned her an alarmed look. “To describe what to whom, my lady?” he asked, voice rising somewhat.

She looked at him sidelong, measured his reaction, and decided to have a little fun. Yesterday had been quite trying. Some levity was in order. “To describe kissing you to your mother’s friends. Everyone is interested in…you.”

He looked at her with disbelief. “You cannot be serious,” he said flatly.

Already she was struggling to keep a straight face. She merely nodded her head slightly with a sidelong glance to him.

“You and my mother’s friends have discussed…” he groped for a way to phrase it.

Lindomiel decided to help him along. Push him over the edge might better describe it.

“Your prowess as a lover,” she concluded for him choosing the boldest words she could think of. That definitely produced the effect she was looking for.

Thranduil choked and stared at her utterly shocked.

Lindomiel could not contain herself at that. She burst out laughing. Indeed, she laughed so hard that she finally fell on her back next to him into the tall grass, gasping for breath.

Thranduil just stared at her. When she had calmed down enough to focus on him, he leaned over her, one hand on either side of her shoulders. “I take it that you are teasing me,” he said quietly.

That made her burst anew into giggles and now Thranduil frowned at her.

“No, meleth, I am not…well am I. That is I am telling you this to tease you, but I am not making it up. Your mother’s friends…and occasionally your mother,” she added wickedly, “love to talk about you.”

“My mother!” he gasped.

Giggles threatened to overtake her again. She nodded vigorously. “She was the one that started it by asking me if her son kissed well one morning soon after we were betrothed.”

Thranduil stared down at her with his mouth open.

“Do not worry. I told them that you do,” Lindomiel added stifling a giggle.

A blush crept steadily across Thranduil’s cheeks.

“Well, you do,” she said when he did not reply. She was having a good deal of fun. “Of course once I admitted that, then they began to ask…” she trailed off thinking. “How did they phrase it…oh yes, they asked if you have clever hands.”

Thranduil’s blinked and his mouth opened a little wider. His face was now bright red. “Please tell me that you did not answer that,” he whispered.

She looked at him still laughing, but now with a little concern. He looked sincerely shocked. Finally she reached up and caressed his cheek. “Alright,” she said in a calm, soft voice. “I will tell you that I did not answer that question.”

Thranduil drew a deep breath and closed his eyes in apparent relief. Then she saw his brow furrow and he looked back at her. “You will tell me that you did not answer that,” he repeated suspiciously.

She giggled again. "Thranduil you are such a prude. Never fear, we have done nothing improper, so I could not have possibly said anything too scandulous to your naneth or her friends."

He looked at her askance and shook his head. “Very well," he said quietly. "I am clearly outmatched at every turn with you, Lindomiel. I think it would be wisest to simply concede defeat.”

“That is what you will be doing at tonight’s ceremony, meleth.”

They both laughed at that.

Thranduil and Lindomiel sat and talked in the shade of the large oak amidst the wildflowers in the field. As they talked, Lindomiel idly picked flowers and tied them into a necklace that she then hung around her neck.

Thranduil smiled. He reached forward and with the index finger of his right hand he lightly traced the necklace where it fell along her neck. The skin he touched was as soft as the petals of the flowers.

Taking his hand in hers, she leaned forward and pressed her lips against his lightly. He freed his hand and slipped it around her waist, pulling her against him and returning the kiss. His kisses moved from her lips, along her jaw line and then down her neck, tracing the same pattern his hands had a few moments before, following the necklace of flowers. He stopped when his lips encountered the neckline of her dress. Pulling her closer still, his lips returned to hers and he could feel her trembling as he claimed them. He kissed her softly for a moment before he released her and sat back slightly

“I am the luckiest elf in all of Arda,” he whispered tracing his fingers lightly down her cheek and across her jawbone.

In response, she sighed and pulled herself back against him, burying her face against his neck—her warm breath tickling his ear…her soft skin against him. Thranduil drew a long, hopefully calming breath and stroked his hand through her hair. She responded to the caress by nuzzling even closer to him.

He laughed shortly and then spoke to her softly, “You know, meleth nin, in a few more hours I plan to show you repeatedly what my clever little hands can do to you.”

Lindomiel smiled at that, enjoying the warmth of his arms.

Thranduil’s smile grew wicked. “Unless, of course, I cannot get the picture of my mother discussing my clever hands out of my mind. That might distract me too much, I fear.”

“Thranduil you are cruel,” she replied, pulling away from him and laughing.

“Oh, but I think the question was, Am I a prude?” he answered back impishly.

She sat back fully with a playful pout on her lips. “No,” she replied quietly. “Now I think you are a tease.”

Thranduil laughed and picked up the chain of flowers she had made. It had broken and was lying in her lap. They continued joking and as they did, she was reworking the flowers into another necklace. This time she took a green ribbon from her hair and tied them together with it. Unfortunately, once tied with flowers, the ribbon was not really long enough for a necklace. Instead she tied its ends together, making a circle. This she tossed onto Thranduil’s head while leaning forward to claim another light kiss.

He laughed.

They talked for nearly an hour longer before they arose and headed back to the lawn in front of the royal household where preparations for the wedding feast were nearly finished. With her arm through his, Thranduil led Lindomiel to her father, who was standing with Limmiel, Dieneryn, Aradunnon and several of Thranduil’s advisors. They all raised their eyebrows and snickered at the king’s approach. Thranduil raised his eyebrows as well with a questioning look.

“Are flowers replacing mithril, my lord?” Hallion asked innocently.

Dieneryn and Aradunnon laughed outright at that and Lindomiel blushed. Thranduil simply looked confused, so Hallion reached over and plucked the circle of flowers off Thranduil’s head and tossed it to him.

He caught it reflexively and blushed. He had completely forgotten about it.

“I am so sorry, my lord,” Lindomiel murmured, regretful that she had embarrassed Thranduil, but amused along with the courtiers. She could not deny that.

Hallion joined the queen and prince in laughing now. Thranduil scowled at him.

Amglaur looked at Thranduil with a superior attitude. “Well, your adar always said he wanted to mix completely with the Silvan. I suppose a crown of flowers would fit that attitude more than a crown of mithril. Perhaps you should wear it Thranduil.”

Thranduil looked at him coolly. “Perhaps I will wear it,” he said quietly, putting the flowers back on his head. “Because Lindomiel made it.” With that he placed a chaste kiss on her lips and enjoyed watching with a bland smile while her father glowered at him for that small liberty.

*~*~*

By the time Thranduil and Lindomiel had returned from the glade, the feast would begin in only a few hours. It was time to return to the family quarters and prepare. Thranduil led Lindomiel to sit on the cushions on the balcony. Her parents were there. So was her cousin Amroth. From Thranduil’s family was his mother, brother and uncle, Engwe, who in the ceremony would take Oropher's place. Though he was trying to ignore it, Thranduil missed his father desperately this day and he knew his mother felt his absence acutely too. They enjoyed wine and pleasant conversation for a while before Dieneryn turned to Lindomiel.

“My dear, you may be aware that my husband was not particularly fond of the Noldor,” she began.

This seemed to be a very unusual topic of conversation for a wedding, so it captured everyone’s attention.

Lindomiel smiled innocently. “I think I have heard that before,” she said softly.

Dieneryn smiled widely. It was a well-advertised fact. “When he and I married, he refused to hold by the Noldorin tradition of exchanging necklaces. Despite that, Oropher’s adar did want to give me a gift to welcome me to his family. So he gave me this bracelet.”

Dieneryn took a bracelet from her wrist that Lindomiel had never seen her without. It was gold with links that were set with baguette cut emeralds alternating with links shaped like oak leaves. The oak leaves were also encrusted with tiny emeralds. It was a beautiful, delicate thing that Lindomiel had often silently admired. She looked at Dieneryn with surprise now.

Dieneryn reached for Lindomiel’s wrist and fastened the bracelet on it. “Oropher’s adar had this made in Doriath when we were married. It is the last thing I have left from there or from him. We have moved so many times….” She looked at Lindomiel with a look that held too many emotions to read. “I want you to have it, my dear. Welcome to our family, iell nin.”

Lindomiel looked back at her, tears in her eyes. “Thank you, my lady. You have made me feel very welcome since I arrived in Eryn Galen. I cannot thank you enough.”

Limmiel smiled at Dieneryn. The smile held laughter and something else. “I am glad you spoke Dieneryn. Knowing Oropher as I did, I would not have dared.”

Dieneryn laughed merrily at that. “Indeed. That is why I did,” she replied simply.

Limmiel grinned at her and then turned to Thranduil more seriously. “My family holds no great love of Noldorin traditions either, Thranduil. Indeed I think that was one of the first topics you and Amglaur agreed on.”

Thranduil chuckled in response along with Amglaur.

Amglaur looked at Thranduil ruefully for a moment. “I know I gave you a difficult time over Lindomiel and you may count on me continuing to do so. But I also want you to know that as we stayed here throughout this last season, I took heed of the comment that you made when you asked for Lindomiel. I opened my eyes and I have seen that you love my daughter more than I could have ever hoped her husband would. I want you to know how much I appreciate that. And I want you to know that as you cherish my daughter, I cherish you for the happiness you have given her.”

Thranduil simply blinked at that, too surprised to speak.

Limmiel smiled approvingly at her husband and then turned to Thranduil. “As a symbol of that, we had this made—Amglaur and I, along with Amroth. We all want to express to you our hope that this marriage will truly result in the union of our houses. Welcome to our family, ion nin.”

Limmiel offered Thranduil a broach that might be used to fasten a cloak or a tunic or surcoat. One side of it was shaped like a beech leaf—a symbol of Greenwood. The other was shaped as a mallorn leaf—a symbol of Lothlorien. The clasp was made of mithril, but the leaves were encrusted with tiny jewels—emeralds on the beech leaf and yellow topaz on the mallorn leaf.

Thranduil looked at Limmiel, Amglaur and Amroth somewhat stunned. It was a breathtaking gift. Furthermore, the politic repercussions of the gift were not lost on Thranduil, nor did he consider them a trifle. He had never agreed with his father’s decision to loosen the relations between his kingdom and Lothlorien. Of course he had seen the need to move further north. The forest near Amon Lanc was too dangerous. But Lothlorien under Amdir, and now Amroth, should be nothing but an ally.

“Thank you, Limmiel,” he said, surprising even himself with the emotion in his voice. “This is beautiful and I am deeply honored. I certainly agree with you that union of our houses is much to be desired and I welcome it with open arms.” He smiled sincerely at Amglaur as well, but then he could not resist taking a jab at him. Looking at his soon to be father-in-law mischievously, he put his arm around Lindomiel and drew her against him. “Indeed,” he added in a light voice. “I have looked forward to this union with great anticipation over the last year.”

Lindomiel giggled and looked down at that and Thranduil laughed as well at her reaction.

Amglaur only glared at Thranduil irritably and shook his head.

*~*~*

Aradunnon and Engwe finally dragged Thranduil from the family gathering and into his own rooms to prepare for the wedding. Lindomiel’s mother and ladies-in-waiting stole her away to the guest quarters they occupied for the same reason.

Lindomiel and her ladies had made a forest green dress of delicate, flowing silk. The neckline was cut low and sweeping across the chest to just off her shoulders. It had long full sleeves and was form fitting to her hips. The bodice was embroidered in gold with a delicate, winding vine-like pattern of slender leaves. At the hip, the very full skirt of the dress was gathered and fell to the floor in front, but extended to a short train in the back. The skirt of the dress was plain save the back. The back of the dress, beginning at the hip and spreading in a V which flared to the hem of the train, was embroidered with the same pattern that covered the bodice.

Lindomiel’s ladies wound matching, green, silk ribbons into braids in her hair. While Lindomiel dressed, there came a knock at her door. She was surprised when her ladies told her that Dieneryn wanted to speak to her.

Dieneryn entered the flet and stopped, smiling at Lindomiel. “Thranduil will not be able to speak when he sees you, my dear. You are stunning.”

Lindomiel found herself blushing.

“I have one more thing I would like to give you today, iell nin. And I would like to ask you to wear it to the wedding. It will be meaningful to Thranduil and I intend it as a bit of a surprise to him.”

“Of course, my lady,” Lindomiel replied softly. Dieneryn had often over the last year involved Lindomiel in little ‘surprises’ for Thranduil. Normally they amounted to harmless practical jokes, but presently Dieneryn seemed very serious.

“Will you sit with me for a moment?” Dieneryn asked, sitting on the cushions near the balcony. Lindomiel joined her. “When my husband came east, he had no intent of being the king of anything,” Dieneryn began. “He only sought a place to live where he and I and those that chose to come with us could live free of evil influence. When the silvan asked him to be their king, he considered the request very carefully before agreeing to it and when he did he took the responsibility very seriously. Oropher loved working silver and gold, though the conflicts caused by the Silmarils tempered his taste for jewelry considerably. When he became king, he did make a few pieces of jewelry specifically for his House. Did you ever notice the ring Thranduil wears on his left hand?”

Lindomiel nodded. “I have, though I never asked him about it. It is very pretty.”

Dieneryn smiled. “Oropher thought so too. He liked delicate things, not gaudy ones. Oropher made the ring Thranduil is wearing. He wore it himself until he died. He made similar ones for me and for Thranduil. Thranduil has the one his adar made for him put away for his own son. This,” she said handing the a silver ring to Lindomiel, “is the one he made for me. Take a close look at it.”

Lindomiel took the ring carefully and studied it. A vine-like pattern of beech leaves, very similar to the pattern embroidered on Lindomiel’s wedding dress, wove around the surface of the ring. Lindomiel looked at one part of it closer. Amongst the vines, looking very much like part of the vine and leaf pattern, was engraved the phrase ‘Bereth o Eryn Galen’ in elven runes. Lindomiel smiled appreciatively.

“I think I would have liked to meet Aran Oropher,” she commented quietly. “This is a beautiful ring, my lady.” She passed it back to Dieneryn, but the queen stayed her hand.

“Oropher intended that ring to symbolize my place in his kingdom and his House. Of the three rings he made, it was mine that he made first. He told me that I brought love to him and to his people, so my place was the most important. I always tried to do that—for him because he had seen and lost so much and for the silvan because they gave him the community he so desperately wanted. I loved him. And I love the silvan elves here because they gave him their love. As they give it to my son.” She paused. “Now this ring passes to you, Lindomiel. When you marry Thranduil, you become the Queen of Eryn Galen. Wear this ring as a symbol of all the privileges and responsibilities that office entails. I hope that you and Thranduil will enjoy, in each other’s arms and in the arms of the elves here, the same love that Oropher and I enjoyed.”

Lindomiel looked at Dieneryn with tears in her eyes. “My lady, between this bracelet and this…and all they symbolize…I feel as if I am taking too much from you…”

Dieneryn shook her head. “You are giving me more, my dear. I have not seen Thranduil laugh or smile as he does with you since he was an elfling in Doriath. I could not possibly describe to you how it makes me feel to see him so happy with you. As queen, bring that happiness to these elves, my dear, for I fear in my heart that we will endure much before we can truly be free again. Like Thranduil, I do not believe Sauron was destroyed.”

Lindomiel looked down. They had discussed that topic before at Dieneryn's insistence and it had been a frank discussion that Lindomiel would never forget.

“I will, my lady. And I will do the same for Thranduil. As he does for me.”

Dieneryn smiled warmly at that. “He loves you more than your young heart could possibly understand. Though now you will gain that understanding when you are bonded.” She embraced Lindomiel. “I am very happy with my son’s choice, iell nin. You make me as happy as you make Thranduil. I am so pleased you will be with us always.”

“And I cannot thank you enough for making me so welcome, my lady.”

Dieneryn released her. “Come, if you are ready I will take you to your naneth. It is almost time for the feast to begin.”

*~*~*

Meleth (nin)--(My) Love

Iell nin--My daughter

Ion nin--My son

Naneth/nana--Mother/mum

Adar/ada--Father/dad

Bereth o Eryn Galen--Queen of Greenwood

Aran--King 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List