Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Chain Reaction  by Estelle

Round Robin
Chapter 3
By Val

Notes: My awesome beta, Trin, gets credit here. Thanks too to Wanda, who's inspired me to try this new genre, and to this addicting list.

--------------------------------------------------

Yet the voice persisted. "Estel."

Aragorn sighed and stepped into the shallow circle of light the candle was throwing. The figure also stepped out of the darkness. "You should wait till first light, until the storm fades."

"I heard him calling," Aragorn replied, pulling the cloak tighter around his shoulders. "I will leave now. And the rest of you will follow, come daybreak."

"You should not go out alone," the voice persisted. "It is far too dangerous even for someone like yourself. You are wounded."

Aragorn silently admitted he was right. He knew the dangers of venturing out into the storm. He could feel the chill on the other side of the heavy door. "If I do not go, he will die."

"I knew you would try to leave," the figure continued, coming closer. Aragorn recognized Elladan as the twin clasped his shoulder. "If anyone can find him in this, it will be you."

Aragorn nodded slowly, realizing the task ahead of him. "I will find him," he promised. "I promise."

Elladan nodded and watched as Aragorn opened the heavy door, the cold air spiraling inside with wind-whipped leaves. The heavy door closed, leaving the warmth and the comfort still trapped inside.

Aragorn winced as the cold air hit him with a force greater than one he'd faced in a long while. "Legolas," he breathed in silent prayer. "I am coming."

--------------------------------------------------

It was almost as if the whisper were carried in the harshness of the wind; for the words spoken by Aragorn a great distance away brought comfort to Legolas beneath the Tree.

"Aragorn?" His word was a desperate plea to see past the haze clouding his vision.

The Tree swayed with the icy winds blasting still from the north. In the back of his mind, Legolas wondered how the storm could rampage onward so deep into the night.

He knew he was close to sleep. The harder he tried to fight it, the more he knew the darkness was taking him. He could hardly see the broad branches before him, protecting him from the fury of nature.

"I'm sorry..." his voice trailed off. A chill raced through his body and he shivered, causing the pain to double, nearly rendering him motionless. "I'm trying to be strong."

He closed his eyes once. It was almost a relief. He could feel the pain disappear into the comfort of the protective Tree. As his mind eased, a deep feeling of panic set in. He knew his consciousness was coming back and forced his eyes to open. "I'll try to be strong."

----------------------------------------------------------------

The words were like ice in Aragorn's heart. He could feel them; they seemed to carry into his thoughts with a power all their own.

"Fight it, Legolas. Be strong."

He could feel the will of the elvish prince faltering. Pressing onward out of the village, he set his sights on the hills. A moment later, he paused, fearing the worst. "Legolas!" His mind seemed to shout a thousand words.

But the intense feeling of fear in his stomach was enough to let him know that the elf was succumbing to sleep.

TBC...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List