Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All Of Them, Together  by fileg

Notes:

A piece of rhyme in an almost impossible to remember father’s voice

A different piece of that rhyme, in a strong protecting and comforting voice in the moving dark. But now, it also speaks of the strength of brothers – as twins embrace their new little brother, though none of them quite know that yet.

A grown man in a strange land who has that bit of rhyme returned to him by a child and his love for his father

And a broken verse that is supposed to end with the idea that sometimes all light is the same… if he could just remember… if I could just write it….

I hope to find out the rest of the poem before Thorongil does. For now he will have to try to remember how the verse goes and who taught him about the strength of brothers who stand together.
My subconscious is very literal, and it may be telling me that Boromir cannot truly learn about the strength of brothers until he has one...and, I wanted to create that feeling of things that are lost from childhood unless we are careful to preserve them.

I gave the obvious, daylight/darkness or sun and shadow to Boromir – its theme of working together seems right for Gondor.

I gave the “Twilight” or “elven” verse to Thorongil - his childhood was spent with the people of the twilight – that was why I let this verse be the one he remembers best. And the concept that twilight is made of dark and bright and starlight / all of them, and none refers also to the theme of brothers/family for him – he has all of them, and yet none.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List