Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

It Takes a Took  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 30

Opal giggled at the sight of the stack of letters that Diamond showed her. The healer’s apprentice was visiting her friend in the Smials. Lavender had finally allowed her to begin working again, but only for half a day at a time, so she had plenty of spare time to herself.

“How many are there?” Opal asked.

“Thirty-five. He sends me one every day, although you know how the post is. Sometimes I don’t get them for a few days, and then they show up in a batch of four or five at a time” She took one out and opened it.

“You’re going to show them to me?”

Diamond grinned. “I don’t know why not?” She passed one over to her friend.

“Dear Diamond,

We had a little bit of snow yesterday, but none of it stuck.

I miss you.

Love,

Pippin”

Opal let out a splutter, and then burst into laughter. “Are they *all* so romantic?”

For answer, Diamond handed her another.

“Dear Diamond,

Merry and I are going up to Brandy Hall for supper tonight. Merry said they are having pear tart for afters.

I really miss you,

Love,

Pippin”

Diamond grinned. “Here’s the longest one I’ve had from him.”

“Dear Diamond,

Cousin Dody has said that I might do without my crutches now, and can start walking more. He gave me a splendid cane to use. And he said that if I keep it up I can dance one slow dance at Yule.

My favorite dance is ‘Circle of Joy’ and it’s got a lot of bouncing about, so it’s out. Do you have a favorite slow one? If you do, I will practice that one.

I miss you,

Love,

Pippin”

“So what dance did you tell him, then?”

“I thought maybe ‘Candles’. It’s only two couples in the set, so we could dance with Merry and Estella.” Diamond smiled, imagining it. “Here’s the shortest one, I got it a few days ago.”

“Dear Diamond,

I still miss you.

Love,

Pippin”

Opal felt tears come to her eyes. “Awww,” she said.

“I know,” said Diamond. But there were two letters she kept to herself, the two most recent. The first one had said:

“Dear Diamond,

I dreamed about you last night, your smile and your dimples. I woke up really, really missing you. I’ll be glad when you get here.

Love,

Pippin”

Which had made her blush when she read it. But the second one had made her a bit sad and fearful.

“Dear Diamond,

Frodo’s not coming. Merry’s really upset, and I’m not so very happy either. We didn’t sleep so well last night, and Merry had one of his dreams. I wish you were here.

I miss you,

Love,

Pippin”

Diamond thought of Frodo’s melancholy, and felt a chill. Somehow this news was ominous. She shook her head to clear it. “I suppose you are used to Pippin’s way of corresponding, Opal?”

Opal shook her head. “I’ve never had reason to get a letter from Pippin, but I had always heard he wrote short letters. I had no idea how true it was.” She sighed. “I didn’t really know Pippin well when we were younger, in spite of us living here. I’m afraid I let my mother’s attitude influence me--I never appreciated him, and always thought he was just a mischievous lad who was always getting in trouble, and wasn’t very bright.”

Diamond looked shocked. She had heard a little bit about Reggie’s wife, but no one had been very forthcoming about the reasons she had been banished from the Great Smials. How could anyone know Pippin at all and not realize how very intelligent he was?

Opal flushed. “No one’s ever told you about my mother have they?”

Diamond shook her head. “You don’t have to.”

“No, I want you to understand. My mother only married my father because he was in line to be Thain. Cousin Paladin was ahead of him, but he only had the three lasses for children. And then Pippin was born and ruined all my mother’s ambitions. She never stopped wishing he was dead, so that she would have another chance to be the Thain’s Lady. And then when I had my accident, it all came out. I don’t think she would actually have *done* anything to him,” her voice dropped to a whisper, “but sometimes I wonder.”

“Oh, Opal, how awful for you.”

Her friend shrugged, and changed the subject. “So, what are you going to wear for the Yule parties?”

“Well, I wrote my mother to send me some of my good frocks. They are supposed to arrive before we leave, and I am hoping they will. It’s less than two days now until we depart.” She had a bit of a worried frown, and then shook her head. “So, your father is in charge of festivities here--what’s he got planned?”

“Well--”

________________________________________

Pippin tucked the quill away, and put the stopper back in the ink bottle. He held the page up to blow on before folding and sealing it.

“Dear Diamond,

Since you are going to be here in just a few days, I will stop writing to you for now. I can’t wait to see you.

I miss you very much,

Love,


Pippin”

He glanced out the window, where he could see Merry and Estella walking in the lane. Very soon his own lass would be here for him to walk with.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List