Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Where Honor Is Due  by Meldewen Ilce

Even with my heart still breaking from giving over my daughter’s hand in marriage and to a mortal life, I still watch my adopted son with a father’s pride. For Aragorn, now King Elessar of Gondor, once my Estel has become all I had hoped and dreamed for. He faced Sauron’s evil and helped to destroy it and by doing so restored Elendil’s, as well as the line of Elros my dear but long gone brother’s, line to Middle-earth.

He is a Man of honor who will accomplish much with the time allotted to him by Ilúvatar...

Slowly, the Elves move forward, following my daughter and son to the Citadel’s steps where it will be my duty (yea, my privilege) to unite them as husband and wife. The people bow respectfully to their new King and soon to be Queen, when suddenly Aragorn stops, looking downwards.

There before us stands the four hobbits, whom the world owes so much to, and I am dismayed as I see them slowly bow to my children. I know it is only right to show respect for one’s King, but to see these four bow was not right because I knew in my heart of hearts, it is to them we should be bowing to!

And then, Aragorn said something that made my heart fill again with a father’s pride, “My friends...” Four faces looked up at him expectantly, “...you bow to no one...” Then with one movement, my son and daughter knelt before the hobbits, followed in short order by the rest of us.How strange it felt to bow my knee again to another, but I knelt before these hobbits, Frodo especially, with as much love and respect as ever I felt for my own King, Gil-galad.

For we only give the just honor where it is due...





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List