Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A Hobbit for all Seasons

Spring

“You must wear your cloak, Pippin. It’s not warm enough yet to go without.”

“All right,” Pippin grumbled good-naturedly, holding still long enough for his cousin to clasp the cloak beneath his chin. Then they set off, Pippin’s hand in Merry’s, and their packs pleasantly weighed down by lunch.

“Do you think we’ll have an adventure today, Merry?” Pippin asked, swinging their hands between them.

“I certainly hope so,” Merry replied. “But you must be careful, Pippin. Don’t wander off. I wouldn’t want to lose you.” His hand tightened unconsciously.

“Don’t worry, Merry. I wouldn’t want to lose you either.”

Summer

“Our first real adventure,” Pippin sighed. “I wish we could tell Frodo right now.”

“Ssh!” Merry hissed. He glanced around; fortunately the other patrons weren’t paying them any attention. “There won’t be an adventure at all if you keep chattering away about it. This is meant to be a secret, Pip.” He shook his head in mild irritation. “I have half a mind to take Freddy instead.”

“Lucky for me that Freddy doesn’t want to go,” Pippin replied amiably. “Besides, if I stay behind then who knows what trouble I might get into without you to look after me. Don’t you think I’ll be safer with you and Frodo and Sam?”

“Persuasive little Took,” Merry groused. “Fine. I suppose you may come along, but only if you stay quiet when you must, and don’t wander off and do anything foolish.”

Pippin smiled charmingly. “I promise, Merry. Don’t worry so much.”

Autumn

Faramir ran up, trailing a cluster of cousins behind him. “Da! Uncle Merry is going to take us adventuring!"

“Is he now? And where are you going, Farry?”

“Just exploring,” Faramir replied excitedly. “He said you may come along too, if you want. Please, Da, say you'll come.”

Pippin pretended to think it over. “All right, you've convinced me.” He crouched down to whisper in his son's ear. “We’ll need to keep an eye on Uncle Merry. He has quite a knack for finding trouble on his adventures.”

Faramir glanced at his Uncle Merry and they both began to laugh.

Winter

They sat side by side on an enormous boulder, pipes in hand, and gazed at the rugged landscape around them, still familiar even after so many years.

Merry was silent, as he’d often been during this long journey, and though it unsettled Pippin he knew better than to question it.

“A bit of lembas now would be nice,” he remarked instead, and rummaged through his pack for some bread and cheese. “Here Merry, have something to eat.”

With a silent nod of thanks, Merry accepted the food, and Pippin smiled a little, glad to see his cousin eating.

The sun rose higher, and soon it was time for them to move on. Pippin held Merry by the elbow, and together they walked to where their ponies grazed in the long grass.

“A lifetime of adventuring,” Merry said finally. He glanced over at Pippin with a grin. “Ready for one more?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List