Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

I thought it might be helpful to have brief summaries available for each of the short stories in "Postcards From the Shire," in case anyone is looking for a story featuring a certain character or timeframe :)

1. A Gift For Sam
It's Frodo's birthday, and he has a present for Sam. Pre-Quest.

2. Pippin's Scarf
Very young Pippin is quite attached to his scarf and hat. Pre-Quest.

3. Of Haircuts and Hobbits
Very young Pippin is afraid of the scissors, and Merry helps him to be brave. Pre-Quest.

4. An Autumn Afternoon
Merry and Pippin enjoy an autumn afternoon as Frodo looks on. Post-Quest.

5. The Tooth Dwarf
Pippin has a loose tooth, and Merry tells him the story of the Tooth Dwarf. Pre-Quest.

6. Better Than Tonic
Pippin is sick and Merry finds a way to cheer him up. I wrote this as Post-Quest, but can easily be read as Pre-Quest.

7. A Hobbit for all Seasons
Merry and Pippin, from youth to old age told in four drabbles and drabble-and-a-halfs.

8. Snow Day
Tired of hearing Pippin whine about wanting snow, Frodo and Merry find a way to get back at their young cousin - who finds a way to get back at them. Pre-Quest.

9. A Short Cut to Mushrooms.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a hobbit in possession of a large supply of mushrooms must be in want of a dining companion or two. Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin, Pre-Quest.

10. The Damp of the First Spring Rain
Young Merry and Pippin playing in the rain. Pre-Quest.

11. Number the Stars
Merry and Pippin camp outside beneath the stars; later, in Minas Tirith, Merry remembers. Pre- and During the Quest.

12. Spring Fever
Merry has allergies, and Pippin takes care of him. Post-Quest.

13. To Catch a Thief
Young Bilbo catches Gandalf's eye. Very pre-Quest.

14. You Don't Have to Know Everything
Merry and Pippin, very drunk and very ridiculous. Can be Pre-, During- or Post-Quest.

15. Moving Day
Merry and Pippin move to Crickhollow. Post-Quest.

16. Rainy Afternoon
While playing in the Brandy Hall storerooms, Merry and Pippin find an old plaything of Frodo's, and Merry remembers. Pre-Quest.

17. Do It Again
Young Merry and Pippin have an incident with a rocking chair. Pre-Quest.

18. The Sandhobbit
Frodo can't get young Pippin to sleep, so Bilbo tells him the story of the Sandhobbit. Pre-Quest.

19. Newborn
Bilbo meets baby Frodo for the first time. Pre-Quest.

20. Dribbles: Hobbits in General & Young Merry and Pippin
Smaller than drabbles; one is about hobbits in general, and the other is a set of two dribbles featuring my two favorite hobbits. Pre-Quest.

21. Diamonds of the Earth
A description of hobbits, based on the experiences of a certain dwarf.

22. Double Bubble
Young Merry and Pippin have fun with bubbles on a summer afternoon.

23. A Sticky Yule
Young Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin discover how fun it is to toast marshmallows. Iakes place in Shirebound's "Quarantined" universe.

24. A Moment's Peace
Just after the incident with the palantir, Pippin turns to Merry for some much-needed comfort and forgiveness.

25. Least Expected
The hobbits stop for a bit of a rest while in the Old Forest, andrry dangerously hovers between wakefulness and sleep. Written for a hobbit_ficathon challenge.

26. Hobbit in the Box
Baby Pippin receives a surprise present from Merry - and has a surprising reaction.

27. A Gift Farewell
As Sam prepares to follow Frodo out of the Shire, Rosie Cotton gives him a parting gift.

28. Whistling Lesson
For the first time ever, young Pippin tries to teach Merry something.

29. Better to Walk With a Friend
When Merry unexpectedly shows up at Bag End mildly injured, Sam is there to help him.

30. Unquenchable
Even Pippin can't be cheerful all the time. Thankfully he has Merry there to help him. Set during Pippin's recovery at Cormallen.

31. Watching and Waiting
Frodo has just moved in with Bilbo, and is a bit puzzled by Sam's behavior.

32. In Good Company
A Conspiracy continues in Rivendell. Featuring Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin.

33. Trust to Friendship
Just before the Company leaves Rivendell, Pippin asks Gandalf why he convinced Elrond to let him join the Fellowship.

34. In the Grey Twilight
Just after their escape from the orcs, Merry and Pippin rest for a bit in Fangorn and Pippin takes the opportunity to look after Merry.

35. A Took by Any Name
When Sam realizes Pippin is growing up, he decides a slight change of names is in order. Unfortunately for Pippin, his cousins will always see him as the youngest.

36. Bedbugs
Hoping to frighten Pippin into settling down for the night, Frodo tells his young cousin about bedbugs without considering the effect of his words - on himself.

37. At the Brandywine
Young Merry and Pippin spend a summer afternoon playing by the river. A fluffy double drabble.

38. Guess Who?
Frodo and wee!Pippin fluff. Pippin tries to sneak up on his cousin as Frodo writes a letter.

39. At the End of One Quest and the Beginning of Another
In which the other members of the Fellowship meet Treebeard, and Pippin and Sam form another Conspiracy.

40. Helping Hands
Wee!Pippin helps Sam in the garden.

41. Everything Bright
Pippin's thoughts when he first wakes at Cormallen

42. The World Ahead
After the Quest, Pippin makes an important decision.

43. Renewal
A quiet moment in Isengard for Merry and Pippin as they remember their friends.

44. Namesake
Pippin explains why he chose the name "Faramir" for his son.

45. Found
When young Farry Took is lost in Minas Tirith, it is Faramir who finds him.

46. The Smell of Elves
On the way to Rivendell, Pippin asks Strider: just what do elves smell like?

47. Inseparable
Amidst his sisters' squabbling and playing with Merry, an important milestone occurs for baby Pippin.

48. A Bath-time Song
Bilbo teaches wee Pippin his favorite bath song.

49. Such an Hour
Something for March 25, Ring Day and Gondorian New Year, and the anniversary of Pippin killing the troll and saving Beregond's life, nearly at the expense of his own. A two-part ficlet, from the POV of Pippin's sword.

50. A Hammock of Hobbits
Frodo, Merry and Pippin on a lazy summer afternoon.

51. The Apology
In Rivendell, Merry apologizes to Bilbo. A drabble and a half.

52. An Afternoon Snack
Frodo and Merry discover that baby Pippin's eating habits are very strange.

53. Breakfast
Bilbo and wee Pippin make breakfast together. A double drabble.

54. And the World Sleeps
Young Pippin decides to ask Merry a few questions.

55. Stories and Tales
A Merry and wee Faramir Took drabble.

56. A Yule Visit
Frodo celebrates Yule with his cousins for the last time when he visits Crickhollow the winter before he sails.

57. At the River
Wee Frodo's imagination runs away with him as he plays with his cousin Merimac at the Brandywine. A drabble and a half.

58. Home Again
Pippin returns home after the quest to round up the Tooks for the Battle of Bywater. A double-drabble and a half told from Paladin's POV.

59. Pervinca's Homebrew
Young Pervinca likes ideas, especially her own, and drags Pippin along to help.

60. Climbing Lesson
Frodo teaches young Pippin something new.

61. Watching
Merry started watching Frodo early in life. A young Frodo and wee Merry ficlet.

62. Unaligned
This is part of my Star AU, which includes "Stars and Sniffles," "The Stars Will Light Your Way," and "Upon the Wings of an Eagle." Sensing that Frodo is slipping away after the Quest, Pippin offers his stars to his cousin in hopes that they will help him heal.

63. Lunchtime
Young Merry and Pippin attempt to make lunch for Frodo.

64. All in Good Time
A pocket watch that Frodo gave Pippin appears to be broken. Post Quest with a touch of magic and whimsy.

65. A Little Encouragement
When tensions rise amongst the Fellowship, it is up to the hobbits to take matters into their own hands.

66. A Gift from the Sea
Cirdan offers the hobbits a comforting gift after Frodo sails.

67. Questions and Answers
Young Bilbo has some questions for Gandalf, but it's the wizard who learns something new.

68. The Baby and the Bathwater
Frodo volunteers to give baby Pippin a bath.

69. Blackberries
Merry and Berilac ask Merimac for help when they lose Pippin.

70. Five Things I Like About You
To comfort young Pippin, Frodo explains why he likes being his cousin.

71. A Thoughtful Gift
Cousin Merimac helps wee Frodo right a wrong.

72. Cool Sunlight and Green Grass
Pippin's first time outdoors at Cormallen.

73. All in the Research
Merry and Pippin prepare to leave the Shire with Frodo.

74. A Merry Meeting
A set of two double-drabbles in which young Merry must wait to meet his new cousin. Frodo and baby Pippin also appear.

75. Almost Perfect
The births of Tuleric and Topaz Tunnelly (two of my original characters).

76. Baking Day
Wee Pippin helps Bilbo with the Yule baking.

77. The Northern Lights
Bilbo, tween Frodo, young Merry and wee!Pippin view a rare appearance of the Northern Lights.

78. A Fine Match
Four vignettes, one for each stage in the relationship (meeting, courtship, engagement and marriage) of two of my original characters, Tiberic Tunnelly and Opal Burrows.

79. A Pair of Swings
A pair of swings in the Master's garden at Brandy Hall and the youngsters who play on them through the years. Three vignettes featuring Saradoc, Merimac, Frodo, Merry and Pippin.

80. Of Endings, Happy and Sad
Frodo reads a story, and wee Pippin is left with some questions.

81. Looking After Frodo
Baby Frodo is left in his cousin Merimac's care.

82. Well Met
A wizard arrives precisely when he means to…and not a moment too soon for a certain young Took.

83. Mathom
Frodo helps wee Pippin prepare a gift for his parents.

84. Pippin's Logic
Pippin explains why he was able to cross the Silverlode. A drabble.

85. Dark Dreams
Pippin must comfort Merry on the anniversary of the defeat of the Witch King.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List