Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: Written as a holiday ficlet for Pipwise.

Hobbit in the Box

From his spot on the floor, Pippin watched the proceedings with wide, curious eyes as the other children opened their gifts, exclaiming loudly whenever they received an oft-wished-for toy. As for Pippin, he was content enough to amuse himself with a ribbon that had been cast aside from a recently opened gift, and he was quietly gumming on it when Merry came over and sat beside him, a package tied with a red bow in his hands. Eyeing the package with interest, Pippin let the soggy ribbon drop from his mouth and turned his attention to Merry.

"This one is for you, Pippin," Merry said, scooping up his young cousin and settling him in his lap. He placed Pippin's hands on the brightly wrapped gift and smiled. "Go on, open it."

The adults in the room shared an amused glance as Pippin immediately tugged the ribbon loose and stuffed the end of it in his mouth.

"You must help your cousin open it, Merry," Saradoc reminded him gently.

Nodding, Merry gently removed the ribbon from Pippin’s grasp and set it aside. Pippin's eyes followed it mournfully, and he whimpered a little in protest until Merry set the package, now with the paper only loosely covering its sides, before him once more.

"Now try it," Merry said again, watching with an expectant grin as the baby batted away the wrapping to reveal the brightly painted wooden box underneath.

His tiny brow crinkling in curiosity, Pippin peered closely at the mysterious box. Hardly able to contain his excitement, Merry placed Pippin's hand on a wooden crank that jutted out on one side.

"Look, Pip," he said, keeping his hand over Pippin's as they slowly turned the handle together. "It plays music."

Pippin stared in wonder as the box began to play a cheerful tune. Merry hid a grin and Pearl, Pimpernel and Pervinca stifled their laughter, watching as Pippin squealed and bounced in time to the tune.

The music went faster and faster, and a wide smile spread across Pippin's face as he leaned closer to the box.

Just then the lid snapped open and out sprang a wooden figure. It was intricately carved into a smiling hobbit wearing brightly-colored clothes and with jingling bells attached to its hands. Despite its cheerful appearance, it startled Pippin, causing him to squeal again, this time in surprise, and fall back against Merry's chest with a thump.

This was just one moment in a lifetime of teasing, and of looking after, his cousin and Merry held Pippin close, ready to comfort him, as the baby scrunched up his face as if to cry.

A laugh escaped instead.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List