Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: This was written for Anso the Hobbit as a holiday request ficlet.

Better to Walk With a Friend

Though it was raining lightly, Sam continued to trim the grass beneath the kitchen window. Once he finished this patch, his work for the day would be complete.

A loud, startled yelp sounded nearby. Setting his shears aside, Sam jumped to his feet to have a look around. Going in the direction of the sound, he hurried toward the gate, where he recognized immediately the hobbit lying in a heap on the ground.

"Mr. Merry!" he cried, hurrying to his side.

"Hullo, Sam," Merry replied. Blood trickled down his brow, and when he sat up he fell back, lightheaded.

"Here, now," Sam said, helping Merry into a sitting position and pressing a handkerchief firmly to his forehead. "Put your head down, sir, 'til the dizziness passes."

Merry complied, and in a few moments he felt better. "Thanks, Sam," he said, smiling sheepishly. "I slipped and hit my head on the gate." He glanced into Bag End's dark windows. "Where's Frodo? Don't tell me he's asleep already."

"Mr. Frodo is gone away, sir. I don't think he was expecting you," Sam said anxiously. "He left for the Smials yesterday, and said he'd meet you there."

"Well, yes, that was the plan," Merry said, shivering a little. The cold and damp was giving him a chill, and he still felt a bit wobbly. "But Pippin's birthday isn't until the end of the week, and I didn't expect Frodo to leave so early. I thought I'd stop by on my way, and we'd walk together. It's always better to walk with a friend, Sam."

"I know it is, Mr. Merry," Sam agreed. "And I know I'm not Mr. Frodo but now you can walk with me down the Row. The Gaffer and I'll see that you wash up and get a bit of warm supper in your belly. And begging your pardon, sir, I don't think you should be travelling more tonight. You can stay with us, or else I'll ready a room in Bag End for you, if you want. I've the key, and I know Mr. Frodo wouldn't mind."

"You needn't go through all that trouble, Sam," Merry replied, smiling gratefully. "I wouldn't mind a visit with you and the Gaffer."

Smiling in return, Sam helped Merry to stand, keeping his arm securely around his waist and together they started down the Hill to the warm and cheerily lit smial below.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List