Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: Written for Dreamflower as part of the holiday ficlets I offered to write for my LJ friends.

In Good Company

Autumn was drawing to a close, and the air was chill enough that the hobbits bundled up in cloaks when they ventured outside. They walked together, though Merry and Pippin soon darted ahead and disappeared into the trees as Frodo and Sam continued behind at a more leisurely pace.

"When will Lord Elrond decide?" Pippin asked once they were out of earshot. "Everything was so urgent and gloomy after the Council but nothing has been done for two months. I thought everyone was in a hurry."

"Two months is hardly a long time for an elf," Merry said with a laugh. "There are many preparations to make. If you took more than a passing glance at a map you would see how difficult it is to plan a safe route."

Pippin grinned at Merry. "Why should I bother with maps when I have you? Besides, who would listen to us? No one wants us to go with Frodo- not even our cousin."

"Don't worry about that," Merry replied. "We'll find a way, even if we're forced to follow them like hounds. We've spent far too long keeping an eye on Frodo and making plans of our own to be left behind."

Pippin smiled, reassured. "It'll take more than a few elves and wizards for Frodo to rid himself of our company," he said.

*****

Frodo watched as his cousins ran ahead, crunching red and gold leaves beneath their feet. "Merry and Pippin mustn't go with us, Sam. It's bad enough that you have already been chosen. I couldn't bear to see all my dearest friends dragged into this."

"Begging your pardon, Mr. Frodo, but your cousins wouldn't call it 'dragged'" Sam replied. "You've only heard a little about the Conspiracy, as Mr. Merry likes to call it, but it went on for months, sir, and there was a great deal of planning and watching and waiting that you don't know about even now."

"Besides the eavesdropping, you mean," Frodo said, amused.

Sam nodded fervently. "Mr. Gandalf was right when he said you shouldn't go off alone. And I know Lord Elrond will choose you good companions, but you need other hobbits besides me, if you take my meaning. It would do you good to have your cousins around, Mr. Frodo."

Frodo frowned, but despite himself he felt strangely relieved. "I suppose it would," he admitted with a trace of a smile.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List