Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

And the World Sleeps

The sun sank lower in the sky, bathing the land with a deeply golden light and casting the trees into shadow. A gentle breeze caused the leaves to rustle overhead, and a few insects buzzed as they took flight.

It was nearly Pippin's bedtime, but he lay beside Merry in the soft grass, enjoying the last few moments of the pleasant summer day until his parents came outside to collect them, and send them straight to their beds. He was too busy thinking to remember that he was sleepy.

"Where does it go at night, Merry?"

Merry rolled onto his side, his chin propped up by his hand, and gazed down at Pippin. "Where does what go?"

"The sun," Pippin replied. "Where is it going now? And where does the moon go in the morning? And what about the stars? Why don't they stay out all the time?"

"What should I answer first?" Merry dropped back down to the grass with a laugh. He thought quickly. "It's not easy to light up the whole world. The sun and the moon and the stars need time to rest. Now the sun is tired and is going to sleep, but the moon and stars are awake, and so it's their turn. The sun will come back in the morning, when it's rested."

"But what if the sun is very tired, and wakes up late?" Pippin asked, yawning. "Sometimes I sleep late."

"Well," he said slowly, "when that happens we have clouds and if the sun or moon is really tired, we have rain or even snow."

"Oh," Pippin said. He rubbed at his eyes. "You always know everything, Merry. I'm glad I asked you." He yawned again and snuggled close to his cousin.

"Not everything," Merry admitted, stifling a yawn of his own. One hand drifted toward Pippin's head, and he gently stroked his curls. "But enough to answer curious questions."

Pippin murmured a reply and his breathing evened out as he drifted off to sleep. The sun at last disappeared and the moon and stars grew brighter in the sky. The lights in the windows of the smial gleamed brighter, and soon the door opened, revealing Eglantine. She peered outside and smiled, disappearing for a moment to retrieve her husband. Then they both stood in the doorway with smiles on their faces as they watched their two favorite lads, fast asleep.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List