Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A Little Encouragement

Neither the cold, nor the rain, nor the icy wind caused the Company to fall into a tense silence. Just three days out of Rivendell, they were already getting on each other's nerves.

Gandalf was grumpier than ever, snapping sharply at whomever irritated him, and it seemed that everyone did at one time or another. Legolas and Gimli were bickering, and Boromir was moody, glaring distrustfully at Aragorn every now and again. Aragorn was quiet and brooding, and even Bill was disagreeable, stubbornly planting his hooves in the ground so that Sam required Merry's assistance in leading the pony.

Although they kept to themselves and tried to ignore the behavior of their companions, the hobbits could not help but notice the tension that grew each day. When they next made camp they had a hurried, whispered conversation before they crawled into their blankets, wondering if their plan would work.

When they woke, the hobbits took their meals and separated. Frodo sat beside Gandalf on a nearby rock for a quick smoke and some advice. With Bill's reins in hand, Sam crept over to Aragorn, under the guise of wanting to know how to calm the pony. Merry sidled up to Boromir, asking for further clarification on a fighting technique that he and Pippin had learned. Pippin plopped down between Legolas and Gimli, sharing breakfast and a rollicking tale with them.

Soon it was time to break camp and continue on their way. For the first time since Rivendell, the uneasy silence that had fallen over Company disappeared, and things were almost cheerful.

"Merry has just asked for another lesson in swordplay," Boromir said, clasping Aragorn's shoulder as they walked. "When we next camp, will you join us?"

"I would be glad to," Aragorn replied, looking interested. "But I have just noticed a small wound on Bill's leg that must be tended. I promised Sam that I would help him look for a few herbs and roots that we might use for a healing ointment."

"I shall gladly help you in your search," Legolas offered.

"You might have a need for this," Gimli said, holding out a small axe. "It is excellent for cutting roots and saplings."

"Thank you, my friend," said Legolas as he gratefully took the axe.

The hobbits glanced at each other, pleased, and behind them Gandalf chuckled.

"Quite a clever plan, my dear hobbits," the wizard said, his eyes twinkling.

"Why Gandalf," Pippin said breezily. "We don't know what you mean!"

"Impertinent Took," Gandalf grumbled good-naturedly. "Very well, keep your secrets; I certainly have my own." With a wink he strode forward to lead the Company on their way. "Thank heavens for hobbits! They do make the heart glad, and put a spring in one's step."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List