Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: For Lily :)

A Thoughtful Gift

Merimac paused beside the leafy, low-hanging branches of a tree. It was one of his favorite trees, an old one he had often climbed as a child.

It was sniffling.

More precisely, someone hiding high in the tree was sniffling. Squinting, Merimac peered between the branches. “Frodo?”

The sniffling stopped abruptly. Several long moments passed in which only birdsong and the leaves rustling overhead could be heard. “Frodo,” Merimac said again, more impatiently this time, and was soon rewarded by the sight of ten furry toes followed by a pair of dirt-smudged knees.

Reaching up, Merimac took hold of Frodo’s waist and lifted him down from the tree. His young cousin’s eyes were red-rimmed and glistening with tears and his lower lip was trembling. “What’s wrong, scallywag? Why were you hiding – and crying?”

Burying his face in Merimac’s shoulder Frodo mumbled a response. “What did you say? Speak up, lad,” Merimac said.

When Frodo did not answer, Merimac sighed and turned toward Brandy Hall. “All right then. I’ll just bring you back to your mother and maybe you’ll tell her what is troubling you.”

“No!” Frodo cried, desperately clutching at Merimac’s shoulders. “No Mama! Mama’s mad at me.”

Merimac furrowed his brow in concern and gently peeled his cousin from his shoulder so he could look Frodo in the eye. “Why is your mother angry with you? What happened?”

Instantly Frodo began to cry again. “Because she was h-having tea with Auntie Gilda a-and Esmie and she said I c-could stay if I was good but then I dropped my glass and it b-broke in pieces.” Frodo paused to gulp for air. “A-and Mama yelled and told me to get away before I hurt myself and I s-spoiled everything and now she’s mad at me, Mac.”

Hiding a smile Merimac located a handkerchief in his pocket and dried Frodo’s tears. He was certain that the poor lad was taking the incident far too seriously. It was not like Primula to become so angry over so small a thing, and if she had yelled at Frodo, or even spoken sternly to him, it was likely because she was concerned for his safety around the broken glass. But Frodo was so sensitive, and never wanted to disappoint anyone, that of course he would be upset and frightened if his mother reprimanded him even a little.

“I don’t think your mother is angry at all,” Merimac said. Frodo looked up at him in surprise, and Merimac went on. “She may have yelled but only because she was worried that you would hurt yourself, Frodo. In fact, she’s probably worried about you right now. How long have you been hiding in that tree?”

Frodo shrugged guiltily.

Merimac shook his head fondly. “Well, it’s up to you to make things right now. Lucky for you that I know just what would cheer up your mother…and you, too,” he said.

“Really?” Frodo’s eyes brightened. “What? Tell me, Mac, please tell me!”

“All right, all right,” Merimac laughed, setting Frodo on his own two feet and taking him by the hand. “But first let’s get you cleaned up…”

A short time later Merimac led a timid Frodo by the hand to the rooms where his family stayed while at the Hall. Behind the door there was silence, and Merimac assumed that Primula’s guests had long finished their tea and left. He knocked on the door and waited, and gave Frodo a reassuring wink.

Frodo’s answering smile was wobbly, and he clutched his hands more tightly behind his back, making sure to keep them hidden.

The door swung open, revealing Primula. “Mac!” she exclaimed in surprise, and smiled in relief to see Frodo standing beside him. “There you are, Frodo! Why did you run off like that, dear?”

“I’m sorry, Mama,” Frodo said, looking up at her sadly. “About the glass, too.” With a quick glance at Merimac, Frodo brought his hands out from behind his back, revealing a bouquet of bright, sweet-smelling orange flowers, and handed them to his mother. “For you, Mama.”

Primula’s eyes went wide in surprise and she crouched down to hug her son. “Thank you, Frodo,” she said, burying her nose in the soft petals and sniffing. “What a sweet, thoughtful gift.”

Frodo fidgeted nervously. “Are you still very mad at me?”

“I was never mad at all,” Primula replied. “I was worried that you would be hurt, not angry that you had broken the glass.” She kissed Frodo’s cheek and stood, extending her hand. “Come inside. I need you to help me find a vase for these beautiful flowers you picked for me. Besides, it’s nearly time for dinner and we must get you out of those clothes. Were you climbing trees again?”

“Yes, Mama.”

“Hmmph.” Primula glared half-heartedly at Merimac, who shrugged in feigned innocence. Never mind that her nephew had taught Frodo how to climb trees. Today Merimac had delivered her son home safely.

“Thank you, Mac,” she said with a grateful smile. “We’ll see you at dinner.”

Merimac nodded, catching Frodo’s eye. His young cousin grinned up at him, tugging on his sleeve until he crouched down.

“You were right. Mama did like the flowers,” he whispered loudly in Merimac’s ear. With a wave Frodo followed his laughing mother into their rooms, and Merimac disappeared down the hall, whistling happily.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List