Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

Notes: (1) This is a companion piece to Dana's One At A Time, in which her Tunnellys make their first appearances in the world. I would like to thank Dana for participating in the Original Character Exchange Program and conspiring about Tunnellys with me. Two of Dana’s characters, Orchid and Tolbric, are mentioned here and belong to her. (2) Tib, Opal, Tuleric (who will be called Tully when he is older) and Topaz Tunnelly all belong to me. And so does Mistress Lilac Grubb. :)


Almost Perfect

I. S.R. 1381

When Opal was apprenticed to Mistress Lilac Grubb, she had been taught to demonstrate perfection at all times, for perfection was not often found in nature. She must keep her instruments spotless, her satchel bulging with any and every supply she could ever need, and her demeanor calm in all situations, because it was always possible that something would go wrong. And at times, things did: a long and painful labor, or a baby born before its time, a sickly child or mother. One could not control nature, but one could control her actions. A midwife, said Mistress Lilac, must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

And so Opal had been quite surprised by the ease in which her first child entered the world. She felt her pains around midday, and waited calmly in a chair while Tib fetched Mistress Lilac. Then she had settled on the bed and breathed and pushed and, before long and without any trouble, held her son, her little Tuleric, in her arms. His eyes were dark, and his hair darker, and there was a tiny dimple in his chin. His cheeks were ruddy like his father's, and his skin soft and new. Opal could hardly believe he was finally here, and all hers.

Tib laughed when she told him this. "I hope you'll share him with me sometimes," he said, kissing her brow.

"Of course," said Opal, leaning against her husband, their baby cradled between. "When he needs changing."


II. S.R. 1385

Though there was just a month before her own babe was due, Opal insisted on attending to the birth of her nephew. It was Orchid's first after all, and her sister-in-law was terribly nervous, though she did her best not to show it. And Opal was very glad she was there, when the birth turned out to be so long and difficult; a trying time for all, though at last a healthy lad was born, little Tolbric.

It had been a trying time, and now Opal would find time to rest.

Less than a week passed before Opal woke with pains of her own. It was too soon, but she had guided many an expectant mother through a false labor before, and so she breathed deeply and tried to relax. But the pains came faster and stronger; this baby wanted to be born now.

Mistress Lilac would not have called it a perfect birth, but she was not there – there had been no time to fetch her, and the task fell to Tib. He was a healer, and had of course delivered babies before, though not as many as Opal. But his hands were steady and sure, and soon he held his daughter. A healthy lass, despite being early; Tib said her lungs were clear.

"I think," Opal said later as she admired their daughter. Little Topaz, bright and radiant, and, from the moment she barged into the world, as bold as any Took. "She wanted to meet her cousin."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List