Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A Pair of Swings

The Master’s garden at Brandy Hall was a large, square patch of land surrounded on all sides by hedgerows. At the center of the garden was a tall, sturdy tree with high leafy branches that gave shelter from the hot sun on long summer afternoons.

One day a pair of swings appeared in the garden, hanging from the branches of this mighty tree. They were painted in bright colors, one orange and the other yellow, and though the seats were wide enough to fit two small lads quite comfortably Rorimac made certain that there were two swings in the garden, one for each of his sons, and that they were hung on opposite sides of the tree, with the trunk in between.

Being so close in age Saradoc and Merimac were accustomed to sharing their playthings and were absolutely delighted to have a swing each. Epic battles were fought in the garden as each lad tried to swing higher than the other, boasting all the while.

But sometimes one swing would sway gently in the breeze, empty, as Saradoc and Merimac took turns pushing each other. Higher and higher would one brother soar, before returning to the one waiting below.

***

Frodo found Merry perched on one of the swings in the garden. It was one of their favorite haunts, this pair of swings that had belonged to Saradoc and Merimac when they were lads. Sometimes Berilac joined them, and Frodo raced around, pushing both his cousins. But more often than not Frodo and Merry spent time there alone, swinging higher and higher until it seemed that their feet touched the sky.

Merry did not lift his head as Frodo approached. Frodo crouched down before him, and in the twilight he saw the tears trailing down Merry’s face.

“Are you going to take one of the swings with you, Frodo?” Merry asked, digging his toes in the dirt. “When you leave?”

“No,” Frodo said quietly. He was crying too. “One is yours, and the other is Berilac’s. They belong here.”

“But you love the swings,” Merry protested, looking up at last. “I’ll give you mine, Frodo, and you can hang it from that big tree on top of Bag End.”

Frodo smiled and hugged Merry close. “I’d like both swings to stay here so that when I visit you, we can play together like always.”

Merry smiled a little at that.

***

Merry settled Pippin on one of the swings – not an easy task, for his cousin was eager to play and was content to drape himself over the seat, head and arms and legs hanging down as he spun around dizzily. He did not hurt himself, as Merry feared, and all the spinning calmed Pippin enough that he allowed his cousin to seat him properly on the swing.

Pulling the swing back, Merry held Pippin high above the ground for a long moment before letting go. Pippin shrieked with delight as he flew through the air, and Merry ran to the other swing so they could begin their contest to see which one could swing higher.

But no sooner had Merry sat down did he hear the sound of little feet shuffling through the dirt and grass, and Pippin appeared around the trunk. He scrambled onto the seat beside Merry, grinning up at him.

“Pippin,” said Merry. “You’re supposed to use the other swing.”

“But I want to stay here,” Pippin explained, snuggling even closer to Merry. “With you.”

Merry smiled. “All right,” he said, backing up. “Hold on, Pippin!”

Then he let go and they soared through the air, laughing.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List