Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

This and That  by Lindelea

In honour of the Twentieth Anniversary of Dreamflower’s first posting at SoA, When the King Comes Back (the Great Smials), here is a sort of what-comes-after in the form of a double drabble. Upon setting out to bring messages from the (Deputy) Mayor, Thain, and Master to the Messenger of the High King of the Reunited Kingdom of Gondor and Arnor, waiting for them at Bree, Pippin and Merry encounter unexpected circumstances. 

When the King Comes Back (the Buckland Gate)

Approaching the Buckland gate from the Hall, where they’d breakfasted, the two Travellers pulled up at the sight of a vigorously waving figure.

‘Tanto!’ Pippin cried in surprise. ‘What’re you doing, so far from hearth and home?’

Tanto’s grin broadened as he stepped forward to seize Butter’s reins. ‘All your doing, Brother!’ he said cheerfully. ‘Being as I’m a fair-enough archer, and four o’ the ponies are mine...’

Merry and Pippin goggled at the sight of perhaps an hundred mounted archers, ordered in neat rows behind him.

‘Seeing as how Pip here was waylaid not so long ago, deep in the Shire, Paladin expects the road to Bree might be somewhat problematic even if the King has come back.’

‘I think we’re going to have to do something about those remaining ruffians rather sooner than later,’ Pippin muttered to Merry. ‘If only to have some peace and quiet to think my own thoughts again!’

‘You mean you’re going to start thinking at this late date?’ Merry teased, and ducked Pippin’s clout, feigned though it might be. The gauntlet’s hardened leather would sting on contact.

Raising his voice to reach their escort, he shouted, ‘What’re we waiting for? Let’s get started!’

*** 

Author’s Note: I first met Tanto Hornblower, Pervinca’s husband, in Dreamflowers story (borrowed, with permission, from Lulleny’s The Prodigal Took).

***





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List