Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Coronation Details  by Meldewen Ilce

A hush fell over the gathered peoples of Gondor as Faramir, son of Denethor and the now recognized Steward of the Realm, climbed the stairs. Faramir met Aragorn in the midst of those there assembled, and he knelt, and said: ‘The last Steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office.’ And he held out a white rod; but Aragorn took the rod and gave it back, saying: ‘That office is not ended, and it shall be thine and thy heirs’ as long as my line shall last. Do now thy office!’

Then Faramir stood up and spoke in a clear voice: ‘Men of Gondor, hear now the Steward of the Realm! Behold! one has come to claim the kingship again at last. Here is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, bearer of the Star of the North, wielder of the Sword Reforged, of the line of Valandil, Isildur’s son, Elendil’s son of Númenor. Shall he be king and enter into the City and dwell there?’

And all of the host and all the people cried yea with one voice.

Faramir held up his hand, and the people paid heed again to their Steward, ‘Using the authority of the Steward, I have today brought hither from Rath Dínen the crown of Eärnur the last king, whose days passed in the time of our longfathers of old.’ With this, Gimli son of Glóin stepped forward from his place of honor amidst the Guards of the Citadel bearing the crown on a silk cushion even as Faramir bowed and withdrew to his place by his Lady’s side.

Gandalf who had stood at Aragorn’s side the entire time now left his friend’s side to climb the stairs before the Citadel until he stood on the top stair before the door. Aragorn had followed the wizard stopping on the second stair from the top, kneeling as Gandalf turned to face him. Taking the crown in his hands, Gandalf lifted it high for all present to see before alighting gently upon Aragorn’s head, saying, ‘Now come the days of the King, and may they be blessed while the thrones of the Valar endure!’

Rising and turning to face his people, Aragorn spoke briefly, imploring the free peoples of Middle-earth along with his new subjects to all work to help rebuild their war torn world together. The people cheered with jubliant agreement and then hushed in reverence when Aragorn began to sing, Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome marwvan ar Hildinyar tenn’ Ambar-metta!

At the place where the hobbits stood watching the ceremony, Frodo’s three companions did not have to wonder long what the words meant for he translated for them, Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world. He then added, in a low voice ‘It is the words Elendil, Aragorn’s ancestor, spoke when their ships came ashore, after they had escaped the destruction of Númenor.’

~~*~~
Text like this is a direct quote from “The Steward and the King” a chapter in “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” by J.R.R. Tolkien...





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List