Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Foolish Childhood Dream  by swg12

Disclaimer:  I am not, was not, and will never be Tolkien. I'm just a teenage American girl ... not a brilliant Oxford professor!

* - * - * - * - *

Do you remember? We dreamed of adventures when we were lads. To get away from the everyday.

We were heroes in our own world - slaying dragons, being paraded through the streets, held high on strong shoulders above a cheering crowd.

We saw only the glory of such an adventure - you sought tall mountains and I elves.

What we got was a lot of boulders and ghostly wraiths.

We sought to be held high above the crowd, to climb towers where we could see for miles.

Now we crawl in the dirt, filling our lungs with these poisonous fumes.

We wanted to escape the everyday.

Now we're lucky to see the dawn - that is if the sun ever rises again.

If we are ever free of this land of blazing heat and clouds of choking dust.

We wanted to be heroes, Mr. Frodo, but we forgot one thing. We overlooked an important detail: had we ever seen any of the heroes in those grand songs and tales?

... and how many of those glorious ballads ended in a dirge?

* - * - * - * - * - * - *

A/N -  Please R&R! Pretty please?  Oh, and also could you find the time to read one of my other one-shots, A Voice from the Clouds ? I posted it but it got lost beneath piles of wonderful many-chapter filled stories. I would very much like to get an opinion on it! Thanks again for reading! *mwah*





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List