Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The 12Days Challenge  by Grey Wonderer

Five Golden Rings #5
Title:  "The Unbroken Circle"                                               
Fandom:  Lord of The Rings
Characters:  Written from Frodo's POV with mentions of Merry, Bilbo, Pippin, Sam, and others
Rating:    G 
Brief Summary:  Frodo's reflections on his own life.

                                                 

                                                     The Unbroken Circle

ONE

Rings run without end in a continuous circle with no break.  I never really gave much thought to them and their nature until Bilbo left the Shire and I found that my inheritance included what, at first, seemed to be a simple, small, perfect, golden band.

Sadly, few things are what they appear to be and most are anything but simple.  The ring twisted itself about my very soul and wormed its way into my mind, killing some small part of my spirit and replacing it with the deep ache of shame and despair.  I often long for my old life and to be as I once was, but I know that I must go on from here.  It is the going on that seems to be the hardest.  Some days, I hardly see the point in it all.

TWO

I watched, as another golden ring of a completely different sort, joined my dear, and devoted Sam to the lass of his dreams.  Rose Cotton completes Sam in a way that I can only imagine.  I see it is his eyes when he looks at her.  I see his warm heart and strong sense of goodness reflected back in her eyes when she looks across the room at him.  They are joined and each is like one half of a whole.  They complete each other’s circle and form a ring of life.

THREE

A small, golden ringlet wraps itself about my finger as I run my hands through her perfect curls and I marvel at the way in which a child can draw one back from the edge, for I believe that it is Elenor, Sam and Rose’s tiny, golden-hair child who now holds me here.   I seldom feel the warmth of my home or the need of my family and friends these days, but this small, child in my arms pulls me back to the Shire.  She has formed a thin ring about my heart and for this time with her, I am eternally grateful.  Here is one completely untouched by the evils that invaded our lives.  This sunny, cheerful, little being has known only love and peace in her lifetime.  Through her, I can feel a small part of my old, much-treasured life.  I hold her close as often as her doting parents will allow.

FOUR

Merry and Pippin are here.  I had thought that I might not see them again, but they have come, summoned or alerted by Gandalf, as much for Sam as for me.  With Bilbo and Sam, these two complete the ring formed so long ago when we first set out to destroy the one ring.  All five of us played a part in its destruction.  I see them all here before me one final time and I am glad to have the chance to form a memory of each as they are now. 

Sam, eyes red from tears, both shed and unshed, with his heart broken by my choice.  I know that he understands me best of all and so he will not try to hold me here.  He knows that if I am ever to have peace again, I must take the offered place on the ship and leave the only home I have ever known.   I would worry for my closest of friends and the brother of my heart were it not for the two lovely lasses that I know await his return.  The tears will fade and be replaced by the love of his growing family.  I am leaving him in good hands.

 I must go with dear Bilbo, who stands nearby and waits with Gandalf.  Bilbo’s eyes still sparkle with mischief and his smile can still warm my poor, aching heart in a way that no other can.  I can go on with him, knowing that I may take comfort in his love and understanding for he knows the darkness that has surrounded me.  He has been held in its terrifying grip too.  Once again, he will hold me up when most of my hope is gone.  I will go with him now as I went with him when I was a frightened lad of twenty-two still grieving for my parents and desperate to belong to someone. 

I smile at Pippin, who, throughout our journey in the dark, has managed to smile back at me.  Pippin holds a bright spirit within his heart that has often helped me through the rougher moments of my life.  He is yet young in years.  It is his life that I will wonder about most with the passing of time.  He has yet to settle in many ways and I can only imagine what he will make of his life.   His bright, green eyes find mine and hold me for another moment without words.  He will miss me, but he will also be fine because he has Merry.  Even now, his hand clutches that of his older cousin in search of reassurance that he can only find through Merry’s touch.

Merry, is my lifeline and he completes this circle of mine.  It was he who first pulled me from the despair of my parents’ death.  It was his quick wit and charming schemes that distracted me through my happy days in the Shire.  Later, when things grew dark and uncertain, it was Merry whom I sought out as a sounding board.  I believe that he knew that today was coming long before I knew.  He is strong in ways that neither Sam nor Pippin are and he will look after both of them.  Merry is a caretaker, and the keeper of my darkest secrets.  I may leave to seek peace knowing that he will watch out for the home fires and keep them burning bright.

It is I who must break this bond that we have and go on to what waits beyond.  I will be the one to break the circle and spoil the ring of golden friendship that we have formed.  I will be missed and they will mourn my loss, but they are strong and I know that they will tighten the ring again and hold fast to one another.

FIVE

I go now to finish my own circle.  I must reform the ring that is my life.   As I stand here on the deck of this ship with Bilbo and Gandalf just behind me, I watch those that I hold dear fade into the distance and feel the circle close.  A sense of peace already fills me, and I know that I have done the best that I was able to do with what I was given.

The End

G.W.     12/30/2004






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List