Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Many Paths to Tread  by Citrine

13. Beyond the World

Another loss in this city of stone, one of many, but each loss remains in memory: Time does not heal all wounds. This the Elves know well. My brother Elessar has departed and I sit with his queen in the Courtyard of the White Tree. The waters of the fountain play and the White Tree blooms, rejoicing in the coming of spring, but there will never be another springtime for Undomiel. All the winters of her life have fallen upon her at last, as bitter snow upon a hill once green and fair, and her eyes are haunted and old, dark with grief. I have no words of comfort for her, so I hold her hand, and together we are silent. As we watch, a curled leaf falls from the tree and floats upon the water, a small white ship filled with reflected sunlight.

"Home, Legolas," she sighs. My sorrow is such that I cannot speak. Undomiel, sister of my heart! I know it is not Rivendell, nor even Lothlorien that you sigh for, but that far place beyond the world where all mortal things must go, where you fear to tread, where your love stands in the light, waiting.

*******

tbc....





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List