Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Leaving Lórien  by shirebound

LEAVING LÓRIEN

Chapter 7 -- Legolas

For the first time in my life I can see an advantage to being mortal. The Secondborn have so little time, they cannot afford to linger long in joy or rage or fear. Or grief. Even the little ones now understand that Mithrandir is gone, that new leaders are to be chosen, new decisions made. Their sharp grief is blunted, softened by their time here. It is the journey ahead that must now occupy them, not the terrors they have seen. The truly unthinkable things they have seen. Such resilience... but I, I cannot move so quickly onward. The long years of the lives of my kin mean that many things are lengthened and ever-present. Memory. Love. And now grief such as I have never known. I had never envied the Secondborn in any way. Until now. It will be long, long before the wound that is the loss of Mithrandir begins to heal.

I have taken to journeying far into the Woods with Gimli, whose long silences bring me great peace. I have not known the value of such a companion until now. I was greatly moved by the Lady’s acceptance of this Dwarf among her people, and felt a need to know what she saw and felt that enabled her to welcome him so. My eyes have opened to the silent strength he has brought to this Company, to the Ringbearer, and now to me.

The suspicion and enmity between our peoples have been long. The memory of Dwarves must rival that of Elves in such things. We are unlikely companions, he and I. It is only in contemplating this new-forged friendship that I begin to understand what darkness may truly lie ahead. Perhaps such an unlooked-for bond is forged because new strength will be needed to face what awaits. Much may be lost ere long. New alliances need to be made. New ideas. New hope.

That an archer of the Greenwood as young as I contemplates such things is a wonder to me. Lord Elrond chose me to represent my people, above others more worthy. I will not fail in his trust in me.

Mithrandir, you have left us too soon. We will not forget you.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List