Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pitfalls of the Palantir  by Haleth

The morning of the theft, at the Inn of the Prancing Pony.

It was still early, but the weather promised to hold and the travellers had far to go. Froi the dwarf rose at dawn and made his way towards the Common Room for an early breakfast.

His company would be well away from the trouble that had been brewing at the Inn of the Prancing Pony the previous evening. Humans were too violent. Even their women fought against each other instead of doing something useful, like metalworking.

It was hardly surprising that an elf had instigated the uproar. From claiming necklaces that were not their own to forging over-powerful rings, elves had been responsible for much of Middle-earth’s grief.

Annoyed at the world in general, Froi tromped down the stairs in his heavy boots.

Something awaited him at the bottom. It was round and large and flickered with an inner blue light of its own.

It could not be.

Froi had heard of the palantiri, but he had never thought he would catch a glimpse of one, let alone find one in a human inn.

It was just sitting there, plainly discarded. He glanced around quickly for the owner. Nothing moved in the morning stillness.

"Hello?" he whispered. "Does this belong to anyone?"

Silence answered him.

"So you won't mind if I take it, then. Don't say anything if the answer is yes."

As he picked up the palantir, he reflected that humans simply did not understand the value of anything.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List