Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reunion in Minas Tirith  by Baggins Babe

July 1429 SR

While the hobbits reminisced with Legolas and Gimli and gazed out over the White City, Eowyn and Arwen took their menfolk into the peace of the Queen's apartments to relate what Rosie had told them. Aragorn in particular was very deeply affected by the details of Frodo's despair and suffering, and he wept as Arwen described the days during which he was expected to die. She remembered finding Aragorn with Sam's letter in his hands, wracked with grief, and knew that he was reliving those moments. She held his hand as she talked softly of Sam's faith and his use of the star-glass.

       "Sam is the most remarkable of hobbits. He has such faith and his love for Frodo sustains him above all else. He was so sure that it would help - after all, Ananeth did say it would be a light in dark places."

       "If only I'd known he was in such despair. I should have realised when his letters grew shorter and less frequent. I could have used the palantir to see what was really going on. Although I try to be sparing in its use, that is one occasion when it would have been justified. I should have seen through the forced cheerfulness to the anguish beneath, but I allowed myself to be fooled, because I wanted to believe that he was happy. I should have gone to the Shire and hammered on the door for admittance. I might have spared him all that ............................."

       "Estel, my dearest, even you would not have been able to get through to Frodo as he was. It took my Naneth and Mithrandir and his own parents to finally convince him that he was worthy of love. Do not start berating yourself over this. Frodo would be the first to tell you that you bear no blame."

       "Indeed I would," said a soft voice behind them. Aragorn whirled round and ran to Frodo, kneeling to embrace him.

       "Forgive me, dear friend, I had to know what happened. I wanted to understand...................You can tell me to mind my own business if you think I've intruded..............." Aragorn looked guilty and Frodo hastened to reassure him with a hug.

       "Arargorn, why should I mind you knowing? You are one of my dearest friends, after all. Rosie told me that she had related the whole tale to Arwen and Eowyn and I knew they would want to tell you. What happened to me was terrible in some ways but wonderful in others because it gave me a glimpse of something rare and beautiful. I have my life back and I've learned to accept the love of my friends. Everything happens for a purpose."

       "I just wish you would allow me to give you the rewards you deserve. I want to present you with the Star of the Dunedain and..............." He stopped as Frodo pressed a finger to his lips.

      "Give it to Sam. You have given me your love and friendship, and that is more than enough." They stared at each other, both greatly moved. Aragorn nodded and pulled Frodo close for another hug.

       "As you wish, dear Frodo. That is very easy for me to give." He laughed and brushed away the tears on both their faces. "Is the scar on your shoulder much changed? It was always so cold and white - unnaturally so."

       In answer Frodo unbuttoned his shirt and slid the left side down. Aragorn saw that the single white line had been replaced by something resembling a multi-pointed star, where Frodo had gouged at it in his anguish. The new skin was not deathly white but a pale pink. He stretched out a hand and touched it carefully with one finger. There was no chill, and Frodo did not flinch. He remembered watching over Frodo at Cormallen, seeing the light shimmering around him with only the Morgul scar seeming to consume that light. Now even the scar was glowing faintly.

       "It is a miracle!" the King said softly, gazing at Frodo, who smiled. Aragorn also noticed that Frodo's smiles reached his eyes again. "I don't think I ever saw you smile properly after that time in Hollin, when Boromir was teaching Merry and Pip to fight. Sam had just brought you something to eat and you were laughing at your cousins' antics. Then events moved too far and too fast for us and you never really smiled again." He pulled Frodo in for another massive hug and fumbled for his handkerchief. "Look at me - you would think I'd be able to control my emotions by now," he said ruefully.

       "You do so in public, Estel my love," Arwen said comfortingly. "Here you are among friends and family, and entitled to let your guard down a little."

       He nodded, then gently refastened Frodo's shirt. "It is always the innocent who suffer. That has always made me angry; it is why I spent years as a Ranger, so the innocent would be protected, but in the end I could not protect everyone.....could not protect you, Frodo." He was kneeling in front of the hobbit, as he had so many times in the past. Frodo laced his hands round Aragorn's neck and smiled.

       "Our paths diverged at Amon Hen. You had your appointed task and so did I, and with the help of the Valar we both succeeded and we both lived to tell the tale. Had you accompanied me, Rohan and Gondor might have been ravaged and laid waste, and I doubt we could have sneaked into Mordor with you and not have Sauron notice. You were distracting him from outside. Besides, if you had been killed in Mordor then Gondor would have lost its last hope and there would not be a White Tree in the courtyard now. Everything happens for a reason, ........Strider." He used the name shyly but the King's face lit up and he kissed Frodo's brow almost reverently.

       "So long as you bear me no ill will, my friend. That I could not bear."

       "Silly! You saved my life on more than one occasion, and I have always thought of you as one of my very dearest friends."

       "It was your courage and willingness to take on that burden during the Council which forced me to look deeply into myself, and take up my own responsibilities. Perhaps I flatter myself but I feel we are kindred spirits."

       "I think I'm the one being flattered - a hobbit of the Shire as kindred spirit to one with your noble ancestry. Besides, what will your people think if you start claiming kinship with Mad Baggins?"

       Aragorn smiled. "They would not recognise the name. They refer to you as 'Lord Frodo' or 'the Ringbearer' and would be deeply shocked to learn that anyone called you anything else."

       Faramir and Eowyn were also very moved by this, and she reached up to brush a tear from Faramir's cheek. Arwen glanced at them from her place behind Aragorn, and exchanged a smile with Eowyn. It was very touching to watch the King of Gondor and the small hobbit, so different and yet so close. Arwen kneaded her husband's shoulders gently and he shook himself.

       "This will not do!" he said suddenly. "I'm being a sentimental ninnyhammer, as Sam would say! Come, sit down, Frodo." He stood, holding out his hand to his friend. "Those children of Sam and Rosie's sound so well-behaved. Are they always good?"

       "Good? No! They can be little terrors when they're in the mood, although they were wonderful when I was ill. I knew I was better when they started playing up again!" Frodo laughed at the memory. He followed Aragorn back to the couch and sat down. "They've left grass snakes in my bed, put salt in the sugar bowl and flooded the place on more than one occasion! They also have their squabbles, as I'm sure you understand. One minute they're playing quietly and the next there's a full-scale riot going on! I've had to learn to wade in and grab the main troublemakers when that happens, and I regret to say it is usually Ellie who starts the squabbles. She has a very wilful streak, I'm afraid. Rosie is much better than I am at breaking up the fights, but I'm improving!"

       Faramir sat on Frodo's other side. "You really do look well now. All that food from the women of Hobbiton and Rosie's excellent cooking must have paid off."

       "Yes, I've eaten like a king this past year and a half. That reminds me though, Aragorn. I have a bone to pick with you!" He turned to the King. "Fancy sending out a letter to the hobbits of the Shire! You surely did not know what you were starting there!"

       Aragorn looked suitably sheepish. "How was I to know they'd send food parcels to Bag End?" he protested, grinning. "I found their attitude towards you too much to bear and I just wanted them to understand what you had done and appreciate you more."

       "Oh Aragorn, we're hobbits! Everything is equated with food in the Shire! I became very well acquainted with Mrs. Bracegirdle's steak and mushroom pies, I must say."

       "And her bosom, from what we've heard!" said Faramir, falling back on the cushions and shaking with laughter. He glanced over Frodo's curls at the King, who was smirking.

       "Oh yes, that too. Thank you for reminding me!" Frodo pretended to glower at Faramir. "I'm glad my encounter with Hyacinth Bracegirdle's bodice has provided so much amusement!" He chuckled. "Pippin now refers to her cleavage as the Gap of Rohan!"

       Their loud laughter was interrupted by the guards outside snapping to attention. The door opened to reveal Sam and a very tall young soldier wearing the insignia of the Citadel.

       "Not sure if you recognise this young gentleman, Frodo?" said Sam with a smile as the soldier saluted the King, then bowed to everyone. Frodo frowned as he tried to think.

       "Sir, this is an honour and a delight to see you again. When you last saw me I was a good deal smaller - a match for your young cousin Peregrin, who became my good friend." He smiled into Frodo's eyes and suddenly looked boyish. Frodo gasped.

        "Bergil!" He threw his arms round the young man's neck. "Goodness! Of course you've grown - it's ten years since we met and you were only ten. Look at you! So tall, and in uniform!"

        "Hope you're looking after my handsome young escort!" said Rosie from the doorway. "He is going to accompany us on our sightseeing and I have first claim!" She winked and took Bergil's hand. He grinned at Sam.

       "I am hopelessly enchanted by your wife, Master Samwise!"

       "Isn't everyone?" Sam said. "And you haven't even tasted her cooking yet! Perhaps one day you will visit us in the Shire and taste the famous cheese tartlets, the parsnip pie and her magnificent beef and kidney pudding. No wonder I'm having trouble with my buttons these days!" He patted his middle, which had certainly expanded. Frodo chuckled.

       "Well Sam, as Merry said, you do look suitably Mayoral these days, and I think roundness is obligatory for the Mayor, although you still aren't a patch on Old Flourdumpling for waist measurement!"

                                                                              ************

       Minas Tirith had certainly changed since the Ring War, Sam thought as they made their way down from the Citadel, Pippin having suggested, quite sensibly for once, that they start at the bottom level and work their way back. The crushed masonry, fallen walls and ruined buildings he remembered had all gone, replaced by sparkling white stone, ornate fountains, gates and railings of finely wrought metal, and flowers spilling from every window sill, wall, terrace and most of the individual houses and inns. Everyone wanted to shake their hands and speak with them, so progress was rather slow. People greeted Pippin as "the Prince of the Halflings" which made him blush, and he shoved Frodo forward.

       "This is my cousin, Frodo Baggins, the Ring-bearer! He is more worthy of that title than I!"

       "Wait till we get back to the Citadel, you ..........you ...... Took!" Frodo muttered under his breath, as people everywhere rushed to greet him. He spent the rest of the walk hiding between Legolas and Bergil, grumbling about loose-mouthed Tooks.

       By the time they reached Lampwright's Street, where all the inns were, they were more than ready for a rest and a pint of good ale. Bergil and Gimli led the way into one establishment, called the Eagle. It had been named so in honour of the Eagles who rescued Frodo and Sam from Mount Doom on that terrible day ten years before, and the landlord was overwhelmed to meet them at last. He had been helping to defend the city at the time and had never forgotten the terror, or the relief. He showed them to a private room where they could rest without disturbance, and they all flopped down with a collective sigh.

       "Oh! I need a rest - that walk seems to grow longer every time!" The voice, surprisingly, did not belong to Frodo, but Pippin. Merry agreed.

       "You know your trouble?" said Sam, who could not resist the temptation to tease the two. "You ride ponies everywhere and you're getting lazy!"

       Frodo took up the challenge. "Sam's right! It's always the same with the gentry!"

       "That from Frodo Baggins, the noblest gentlehobbit of them all!" said Merry, laughing. "You're gentry too, Baggins!"

       "Ah! But I live a humble life, and very rarely ride anywhere." He sipped his ale and grinned.

       Pippin snorted. "Considering you walked half-way across Middle Earth, I'm surprised you can face walking anywhere ever again! Merry and I were only Orc-dragged half way across Rohan and that was enough! Riding on Shadowfax gave me a taste for it though. The speed frightened me but it was exciting too, you know." He half closed his eyes at the memory of the wind in his hair and the blur of the road beneath the magnificent horse as they sped towards Minas Tirith.

       The arrival of luncheon interrupted Pippin's reverie and he gave his full attention to the food, which was excellent. They ate and talked, and then sat back, the menfolk lit their pipes,and Sam sighed contentedly. Beside him, Rosie took out some tatting she was working on for lace trim for the little girls' dresses. He patted her and slipped an arm round her waist and she leaned into him gently while she worked. On his other side Frodo also leaned against Sam's comforting bulk, wriggling until he was comfortable. How often had this been his only comfort in the Black Land? He wondered how he could have contemplated leaving Sam and his friends, Rosie and the children, and silently thanked the Valar yet again for bringing him home. Sam WAS home, had always been home, carrying with him the smell of soap, pipeweed, sunshine and flowers. He looked at Sam's face, tanned and smiling.

       "Your eyes went all distant, me dear, but you didn't look unhappy. Are you alright?"

       "I'm fine, Sam. I was just thinking how lucky I am to have you and Rose and all my dear friends and to be here with you all."

       "Now then," murmured Rosie softly. "Any more of this and Legolas and I will be little soggy puddles." She looked across at the Elf, who was smiling with tears in his eyes, watching Frodo intently.

      Gimli glanced at him. "Don't upset yourself, laddie." He patted the slim hand resting on the table. "You're quite emotional for an Elf, aren't you?"

       "It's why my father didn't want me to get involved with mortals. He is afraid that if I become too attached I will know too much grief when..........when................you.........." He paused, unable to say the word.

       "When we die? That is a fate all us mortals share, but we believe in a life afterwards, with those we love. That is how we bear it." Gimli smiled fondly. "And Frodo here learned the truth of that, didn't you, lad?" Frodo nodded, reaching across the table to rest his small hand in the Elf's.

       "But death is not my fate," Legolas said sadly, "And therefore I will not see you all again once you have left this world, even if I were killed in battle. No wonder it is called the Gift of Men. It is why Queen Arwen has chosen as she has, that she may be with Aragorn forever once he passes."

       "But you will have other friends, Legolas. You will make new friends, I'm sure." Merry tried to cheer their friend, who was normally so happy and calm.

       "I do not think I will ever have such friends, nor do I wish to. We have a special bond of fellowship and love, and I shall never find such friends again in all of Middle-earth."

       There was silence for several minutes as they all contemplated these words and wondered what it would mean for their friend in the future. Then Legolas laughed suddenly in one of his mercurial changes of mood, and hastened to the door to call for more ale.

       "You must forgive me, my friends. I don't know what came over me - although I mean what I said about our bond. We have a special fellowship and nothing can ever break it. And we will celebrate it with another drink!" He poured the last of his wine into his goblet and waited until everyone had a refill. "To the Fellowship and to all of us.! May we always be united in love!"

       Pippin looked around. "Do you know, I'm hungry again!"

                                                                               ************

       Revived, they continued their wanderings, exclaiming over the new buildings and fine carving. Groups of dwarves stopped working to show them what had been achieved. They were keen to show what they had done for they were justly proud of their workmanship, but they were also curious to meet the hobbits,especially a relation of Bilbo Baggins. Frodo showed a genuine interest in everything , and they were very amused when he laughed at the dwarven curse one of the group let loose when he caught his thumb with the hammer.

       "My uncle Bilbo taught me that one when I was fifteen! Thankfully Cousin Saradoc never discovered what it meant!"

       "You must all come and drink with us in one of our taverns," said one of the dwarves. "We would deem it a great honour." He bowed to Legolas. "You too, Master Elf!"

       "We will arrange a special evening - who knows, perhaps others would like to join us?" said Gimli with a conspiratorial wink. Occasionally their old friend Strider made a reappearance and joined them in the city incognito for a merry evening, often with Faramir and Beregond in tow. The dwarves looked pleased, and it was agreed that there would be an evening in a dwarf tavern. Even Rose was invited. She was a little doubtful as she thought there would be no other women to talk with. There were few dwarf women and they were impossible to distinguish from the men, so she'd heard. Still, it would be something to tell the women of Hobbiton, since she shrewdly supposed that females of any species were rarely invited into a dwarf tavern. It must be the proximity with a Baggins and several Brandybucks and Tooks giving her such adventurous notions.

                                                                              ************

       Rosie found the city confusing but exciting. They walked up and down staircases, through alleyways and into courtyards, and everywhere people stopped to talk and shake their hands. By the time they arrived back at the Citadel it was past tea time and they were all hungry. The King was waiting for them, and he drew them in to the comfort of the private apartments.

       "I was beginning to think you'd all become hopelessly lost, although you had three experienced city guides with you," he said once they were settled among the cushions, sipping tea and loading plates from the large and overloaded table in the centre of the room.

       "We had lunch at the "Eagle" and inspected the new building works, and we met some of Gimli's friends, who have invited us for a night out," said Pippin as he tried to decide which of the sandwiches he should eat first.

       Aragorn's face lit up. "Oh! A night out with the dwarves............I think we'll come with you." He looked at Faramir, who nodded eagerly.

       Frodo studied Faramir. Ten years of service to a noble and generous king, and marriage to a loving woman who had given him a proper home and three children, had certainly changed the young man. He had been through so much pain - always trying to please his terrifying father, the early death of his mother, the hostility Denethor showed towards him for his love for Gandalf, the loss of poor Boromir, and the knowledge that his father had gone out of his mind at the end of his life and tried to take Faramir with him. Pippin had spoken of that awful day, the light of madness in Denethor's eyes as he lit Faramir's funeral pyre and tried to kill them both. Faramir had been so unsure of himself in the months following the King's coronation and it was wonderful to see him now, confident and assured, although he still looked intently at both Eowyn and Aragorn for approval sometimes, which Frodo found very touching.

       "Faramir," he said softly, "I should very much like to visit Boromir's memorial in Rath Dinen and pay my respects. Would that be possible?"

       Faramir rested a hand on Frodo's shoulder and gazed at him, his eyes very bright with unshed tears. He knew what his brother had done when the call of the Ring became impossible to ignore, and he was very moved that Frodo still wanted to remember Boromir with respect, and even affection.

       "Of course, Frodo. Merry and Pippin often visit there, but I should deem it a special honour if you were to do so, knowing that your last meeting was not a pleasant one............" His voice choked slightly and tailed off. The hobbit reached up and embraced the man, trying to reassure him.

       "I have always thought of Broromir with affection. He was a very brave man who gave his life to try and save my cousins. He risked his life to save me, more than once, braving the Watcher in the Water and dragging me off the Bridge of Khazad 'Dum, and most important of all, I shall never forget his gentle words of encouragement in Lorien when I was blaming myself for Gandalf's fall. He was a valued and valuable member of the Fellowship and as long as any of us are alive he will be remembered. I'm hardly one to blame another for being taken by the Ring, after all."

       Faramir swallowed. The room was very quiet, everyone watching this exchange. Sam eyed his master without surprise. He knew Frodo wanted to make his peace with the ninth member of the Fellowship, and no doubt he would accompany him and do likewise. It was more than time.

       Frodo laughed ruefully. "Poor Boromir! Eru knows what he made of the motley crew he found himself in! I don't know what he thought of us hobbits, lazy, peace-loving and always eating! We must have been a sad disappointment to him, although he did teach Merry and Pip how to fight. Thank goodness he did too, or they might not be here now, and the Shire might never have been cleansed. We have a little memorial garden for Boromir at Bag End, you know? Silly really - I don't think Boromir liked flowers, but we wanted to do something."

       "Oh! Really?" Faramir was deeply moved. "He didn't know much about flowers but he appreciated their beauty sometimes, when he was quiet and at peace. I'm sure he would be touched to know you have done that. I know I am."

       "It was an honour to plan and plant it too, my lord," said Sam. "I didn't know his favourite flowers but there's a lot of red - for sacrifice - and white - for the White Tree. Lots of forget-me-nots too, and shrubs and long grasses to give colour in the winter. Perhaps one day you'll visit the Shire and see it for yourself, sir?"

       "I should like that very much, Sam, if the King will grant me leave from his edict that no Big People are to enter the Shire," said Faramir, his voice still a little unsteady. "I suppose if I were visiting the Mayor................"

       "Exactly!" said Sam, grinning. "I grant you permission to enter the Shire when you will. The King too, of course, and your families. What's the point of being the Mayor if you can't do something like that occasionally?"

       Frodo looked around. "Sam was more than happy to do that, but I think my other request threw him a bit. He humoured me, of course, but I'm sure he thought I was cracked after my illness." He looked at Sam, who smiled and shook his head. "I said I wanted a little water garden as a memorial for poor Smeagol. I fully expected him to erupt with "That Stinker?! If you think I'm remembering him.........." but he didn't. Just looked at me and said, "Oh aye" and asked me what I had in mind. And I'd been full of trepidation at the thought of asking him too!"

       "Don't know why - it's your garden, after all!" protested Sam. "Anyway, after the Valar gave you back to us I was fair ready to walk to Gondor on my hands and bring you a cutting from the White Tree if that's what you wanted. Planting a water garden for that poor wretch seemed a small thing to do."

       "It's your garden too, Sam. We live at Bag End as a family and it's your home. I wasn't telling you to do it - just asking if you'd mind." Frodo smiled at Sam, whose eyes were soft with love for his friend and master.

       "How could I mind anything? The more I thought about it the more it seemed like the right thing to do."

       Aragorn shook his head in disbelief. "My dear Frodo, you never cease to amaze me! All you went through, and you're still thinking of others." He glanced at his Steward, who was still blinking back tears. "I think that is a beautiful thing to do."

       "If there's time when we go on our trip to Ithilien, I'd like to............." Frodo gazed down at his hands for a moment, thinking. ".............go into Mordor, if I can.....pluck up the courage.......Somehow it would help to ........... ...................." Sam's mouth had fallen open with shock. He was not expecting that.

       "Lay the ghosts?" said Aragorn gently. "Yes, I'm sure we can arrange that - not to go far in, of course, but if you want to see what it looks like now, we will do it." He smiled encouragingly at the hobbit. "Faramir has been in there several times."

       "Yes, and it has changed. Still polluted but there's so much lava and pumice around that the soil and rock you walked on is buried forever. Insects and small creatures are starting to colonise the crevices, and weeds have somehow found a roothold in that inhospitable rock. The thorn bushes you mentioned are still there, and the streams are still visible in places. Now the thick cloud has gone, there is rainfall and sunlight, and the mosses and lichens thrive and cover the bare rock more and more. I did not think anything would ever grow there, but I've been proved wrong."

       Sam smiled.. "Nature always finds a way. And weeds grow anywhere, although a weed is only a wildflower in the wrong place, so my old Gaffer used to say. And, begging your pardon, Frodo, but if you're aiming to go into Mordor again, I'm coming with you! You didn't lose me last time and you're not going without me now!"

       "We'd be curious to see it, wouldn't we, Merry?" said Pippin, who had finally stopped eating for a moment. Merry nodded, licking a blob of cream off one finger.

       "We once said we'd go with you to Mordor, Fro, and now we will. Have you seen it, Aragorn?" he enquired. The King shook his head.

       "I've not really had the time, but I have made time for your visit and the stay in Ithilien, so I would also be interested to see the Plain of Gorgoroth now. We will make an expedition of it."

       "We're coming with you!" said Legolas and Gimli together. "The Fellowship together again   .......... almost. I'm sure Gandalf sees what goes on in Middle-earth and approves." Legolas was sparkling, almost bouncing in his seat with excitement.

       "A boy's camping trip!" said Eowyn, rolling her eyes. "I think we'll stay in Emyn Arnen, ladies?" She glanced at Arwen and Rosie, who agreed.

       Rosie laughed. "I don't fancy taking a baby into Mordor, and we can't very well leave them behind as they're not weaned yet. We shall stay behind in Ithilien and talk about you till your ears burn!"

       "Then it is decided!" said the King cheerfully. "We shall have a look at Mordor. We can go in without going round to the Morannon - we found a use for Saruman's wretched blasting powder when we tore down the towers and opened up the Morgul Pass."

       "Letting in the daylight! we called it," said Faramir. "We wondered about getting Treebeard and his friends to come and throw them down but in the end we used the blasting powder and great hammers. And if the great spider survived your attack, Sam, she is now buried under tons of rock and rubble."

       "Glad to hear it," muttered Sam. He turned his attention to his plate with gusto and was relieved to see that Frodo was doing the same. He had feared that talking about these things would cause too much distress but Frodo seemed serene, sipping his tea and eating a mushroom tartlet with enthusiasm.

       "Now," said Pippin, "What about that night out with the dwarves?"

                                           ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List