Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Homecoming  by jenolas


Homecoming.

In contrast to their leisurely exploration of the glittering caves of Aglarond, and the darkness of Fangorn, once Legolas and Gimli had taken their leave of the other members of the fellowship, they hastily made their way north and homewards.  

At first the mood of the travellers was rather carefree as they both relished the prospect of a long awaited homecoming, but as they drew nearer the borders of Eryn Lasgalen and began to see the damage that yet remained after the defeat of the evil at Dol Guldur, a sense of foreboding at what they would find on their return hung like a misty curtain about their thoughts.  

“I fear there has been much destruction wrought upon our homes, Legolas,” said Gimli sadly as they passed by a large stand of fire ravaged trees.  

“Ai, but were not both my people and yours victorious?” asked Legolas, not willing to allow the Shadow to touch either of them again.  

 “Do you not see the new life everywhere, Gimli. ….. ?” asked the Elf as he walked among the trees inspecting every branch, a look of delight on his face as he found many new green leaves just starting to grow on the withered and blackened trees. “The light of the Elves has already begun to flourish once more in this part of the forest!” he exclaimed with such obvious joy that Gimli felt his spirits lifted, and he smiled as the sweet sound of the Elf’s voice drifted on the air.  

The trees that had fallen silent under the power of the Shadow, now whispered a joyful welcome to the Woodland King’s son, who in turn sang a merry greeting to them all. No longer needing to stay on the Elf path, for the danger was no more, Legolas happily lead his friend through the forest. Gimli muttered something under his breath which Legolas did not quite catch, so absorbed was he in his song and the new life all around them. He stopped singing and turned to the Dwarf.

"What was that, friend Gimli? Does something trouble you?" he asked, noting the disgruntled look on Gimli’s face.

"I said, “Must you sing to every tree you encounter? Did you not get your fill of trees when we were in Fangorn?" Although the words were delivered with the dwarf’s usual gruffness, Legolas knew he was being teased, for Gimli had come to enjoy some of the Elf's songs, not that he would ever admit to it, of course.

"I would sing to every tree in Middle Earth had I the chance," Legolas replied, his eyes bright with delight at the thought. "In fact, I might just do that."  

Gimli merely rolled his eyes and grunted derisively.

"I believe you would, but do not expect me to accompany you on such a crazy venture!" he exclaimed.

Legolas merely laughed, and returned to his song, filling the woods with the sweet sound of his voice. As they reached the point at which they would go their separate ways, it was as if a cloud had passed across the face of the sun, leaving them in a brief shadow of sadness. They had been together for so long now, they both knew they would miss each other's company. They lingered at the fork in the path, neither wishing to be the first to depart, until finally Legolas spoke.

"Farewell, for now, my friend. We will meet again when we return to Minas Tirith to help with the restoration of the White city,” he promised, clasping Gimli’s shoulder in a gesture of affection.

"So we shall," agreed Gimli. "You and I have had a great adventure Legolas, but I admit that I am becoming ever more anxious to return to see how my folk fared in the War. I fear the news will not be good."

"If your kin wield their axes with the same ferocity and skill as you do, you have nothing to fear, my friend," Legolas said with a reassuring smile. "I shall look forward to hearing the tales of the many great battles your people fought and won when next we meet."

"I will be pleased to tell them, but do not think to make Elf songs about the deeds of Dwarfs," Gimli warned, with a smile in his eyes. "Farewell, for now, Master Elf."  

The Dwarf hoisted his axe over his shoulder and departed without further word. Legolas stood a silent vigil until the sturdy figure of his dearest friend finally disappeared from view.

"Crazy Elf, I suppose he is going to stand there until he can no longer see me," Gimli muttered to himself as he caught a glimpse of Legolas standing at the edge of the forest, still looking in his direction. "Surely he knows by now that I do not need to be watched over, I am quite capable of protecting myself." However, he could not help but feel pleased at this demonstration of friendship, for he knew how eager Legolas was to return home.

Gimli could not deny the he was also eager to complete his journey, all the more so as he passed through the northern parts of Eryn Lasgalen that had been more severely ravaged by fires during the battle with Sauron’s minions. The sight of the charred plants and blackened trees, with no new growth as yet, filled him with sorrow for the destruction that had been wrought and with concern for Legolas, for he knew how sad the Elf would feel at seeing so much damage to his home. Gimli also feared that he would find the kingdom under the Mountain in a similar state.

On reaching Erebor, Gimli observed with deep sorrow that much of the kingdom had been destroyed, but it was some consolation it was quickly being repaired. Not so the broken hearts of those who had lost loved ones, for there were many friends and relatives that he would never see again. That evening, at the banquet Thorin Stonehelm ordered in Gimli's honour, many tankards of mead were drunk, and many tales told of the battles fought in Erebor and the surrounding lands.  

The Dwarf was filled with pride with the story of the courage shown by Dain II as he and King Brand of Dale gave their lives defending the gates of Erebor from Sauron's minions.

Thorin listened intently as Gimli told of the destruction of Moria, and the loss of the Dwarves who had gone there with Balin.  

"It is sad news you bring us of Moria and Balin," Thorin said as they listened to a group of their friends singing a very rowdy song as they drank their ale.  

 "We have heard much of your deeds of bravery in the War of the Ring, Gimli, but is there any truth to the story that you have befriended an Elf! The son of Thranduil, no less!" Gimli looked slightly embarrassed as the others stopped singing and laughed at the outrageous suggestion, but he would not dishonour his friendship with Legolas by denying it.

"Yes, I am proud to call Legolas of Mirkwood my friend. We fought many battles together and have great respect for one another. Of course, we did not start out as friends when we left Rivendell and we spent much time trading insults. Very slowly a camaraderie and friendship grew, to the surprise of all. Besides, after you have been forced to share a horse with an Elf, you cannot help but develop a bond, particularly when he rides without a saddle and can speak to the animal,” he told them light-heartedly, smiling at the memory of his journeys on Arod.

There was some amused laughter at that comment, but noting the incredulous looks on the faces around him, Gimli decided he might as well make a full confession. He removed the small locket containing Galadriel's hair and held it aloft.  

"Legolas is not the only Elf I have befriended, for behold the golden hair of the Lady of the Wood,” he said to the astonishment of all present.

"You have been bewitched by the Elf Witch as well?" Thorin asked as he stared at the three strands of hair.

"The Lady Galadriel is not a witch, but the fairest lady in Middle Earth! I am considered an elf-friend," Gimli replied trying to keep the anger from his voice.

"Well, these are certainly strange times." Thorin said. "Who would have thought that Elf and Dwarf would once again be friends."

"The times may be stranger than you know." Gimli said. "I have a request to make. I wish to take some of our people back to Gondor to help restore the White City. The stonework was crafted by our forefathers and King Elessar has requested that Dwarves help in the rebuilding."

"Do so, by all means. It would be wise for us to re-establish relations with the King of Gondor." Thorin replied, looking at his friend and seeing a further question in his eyes. "I see you have something else on your mind, what is it?"

"Once we have completed the work in Minas Tirith, I wish to remain and build a settlement in Aglarond, for I have become fascinated with the beauty of the Glittering Caves."

"I can well understand your fascination, for I have heard of these caves. I have no objections to your request, however, there is plenty of time to make plans for the future." He said, pouring himself another tankard of mead. Someone began another rousing song and both Thorin and Gimli added their deep voices to the chorus. Gimli was glad to back among his kin, but he found himself missing the Elf, and he wondered how Legolas was faring.

In fact, Legolas was faring quite well. King Thranduil had ordered a welcome home banquet for his son, and Legolas found himself the centre of attention. He was never without a glass of wine, or a dance partner and he had even been called upon to sing.  

All could see by the brightness in his eyes and the delight on his face that he was happy to be home among his people. Only Thranduil noticed the occasional frown as Legolas turned as if to speak to someone at his side, only to find no one there. He missed the Dwarf already.


EPILOGUE

It had been many months since Legolas and Gimli had returned to Minas Tirith. The restoration work on the city was progressing well, and the two friends were standing on the roof of one of the towers surveying their handiwork. Legolas was looking at the mithril gates, which shone brightly in the morning sun.

"I must admit, friend Gimli, that Dwarves certainly do know how to combine good craftsmanship with beauty, although there is far too much stonework in this city for my liking,” he teased lightly.

"And I fail to see the need for trees and flowers at every turn, surely the garden you built for Arwen has more than enough greenery and colour to satisfy the whole city!" declared Gimli loudly in reply. Legolas looked at his friend and raised a questioning eyebrow.  

"Then I take it that you do not intend to come to Ithilien for the Midsummer festival? There are far more flowers in my forest, and they are all in bloom,” he sad with a hint of disappointment.

"Not to mention the fact that all you Elves will be doing is singing to them," Gimli added with mock disgust. "However, since you have willingly visited Aglarond on many occasions, I suppose I have no choice but to accept your invitation. Of course I will be there."

"That is well," replied Legolas with a mischievous smile. "And to celebrate the occasion I think I shall make a song about the Glittering Caves and their new Lord."






        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List