Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer's Tale  by Lindelea

Chapter 32. Interlude.

Sam silently keeps the fire bright, his jaw set, his hands clenching into fists when not busy adding wood and rearranging the coals. Merry, determinedly cheerful and matter-of-fact for Diamond's sake (and perhaps for Pippin's, though the Thain does not speak again) keeps the teakettle full of water, and when it boils he pours out the cooling water from the basin into a waste bucket, wrings out the cloths, replaces them in the basin, and pours the boiling water over. As soon as I can touch the cloths, I renew Pippin's "dressings", trying to keep them as hot as possible.

The tingling in my skin is easing; I rescind the "don't touch him" order, and Diamond tenderly takes Pippin in her arms. It doesn't seem to cause him any more distress. Diamond holds her husband and sings to him, her voice growing hoarse. I do not know how long the battle has lasted, but at last I think the spasms are easing. Yes, he is not hugging his leg quite so tightly to his chest. As I replenish the cloths, I am able to pull the leg a little straighter with each new application, until at last the leg lies straight upon the bed, next to its partner. Still the muscles are tight under my touch, and I continue to apply the hot compresses.

'Talk to me, Sir,' I say again, wearily wiping sweat from my brow. Sam has gone out to fetch more wood; he comes in with Sandy, both carrying armloads. I'd tell them that I don't think so much is necessary; the tide has turned, I think. But it makes them feel useful, and I am worried about the Mayor, who will not meet my eyes, but looks only at the Thain, grimacing in Diamond's arms.

'What would you have me say?' Pippin grits, and Merry's lips twitch in a genuine smile, not the false cheer he has sustained through these dark hours.

'How are you feeling now?' I ask.

'Just dandy,' Pippin says. 'Is it nearly teatime? Let us take tea on the meadow this day.'

'Is he delirious?' Sam whispers.

'No, Samwise, you ass,' Pippin says. 'I am merely fed up to my chin with healers and their stupid, useless questions.'

'Steady,' Merry says, resting his hand on his cousin's shoulder.

'Easy enough for you to say,' Pippin says.

'The cloths are cooling,' I say, and Merry hastens to refresh them, while Sam adds more wood to the fire. Sandy wipes at his forehead with his pocket-handkerchief as he leaves; the bedroom is overheated, to be sure, but with the Thain dressed only in his underbreeches it is just as well. I would hate for him to catch a chill, after all this.

It is near dawn when the spasms ease yet more, then cease, and there is a general sigh of relief. We are all exhausted. 'Well, Samwise,' Pippin says. 'This has been some welcome home.' His voice trails off; he can scarcely finish the thought before his eyes close and he sighs.

Out of force of habit, my eyes are glued to his chest. Steady breaths. Yes, the breaths are steady, and deeper than I remember seeing before. 'Sir?' I whisper.

'Pippin-love?' Diamond says, brushing hair back from her husband's forehead. He doesn't answer; he is evidently deep in sleep.

Exhausted, if it wouldn't be unseemly I'd be tempted to lie down on the bed myself, but for the urgency that rises in me. Though I scarcely feel as if I have the strength to return to the healer's quarters and my sleeping beloved, I steel myself for what must be done.

Turning to Diamond, I say, 'I think we should take the leg now, whilst he's sleeping.'

'Take the--' Diamond gasps, her face losing all colour as her arms tighten protectively about her beloved. 'You mean... off?'

I nod. 'Aye.' I look down at Pippin, count his breaths, yes, still steady, gather all the calm I can and look up to meet Diamond's eyes. 'I don't know that he could survive another night like the last.'

Diamond looks down into her husband's sleeping face, still etched with pain and exhaustion.

I start to turn away, ready to send for Fennel and all the necessary equipment. The Thain is so very exhausted... While he'll likely waken, on feeling the bite of the blade, in the state he's in he ought to swoon quickly. At least, this is my hope. Better to do it now, than when he is rested and recovered enough to require a roomful of hobbits to hold him down. My hands are trembling, and I rue the fact that I must turn this task over to my assistant. I will watch closely, but I do not trust myself to do what must be done, quickly, with a steady hand, doing the least amount of damage that may be done.

Diamond catches at the sleeve of my nightdress. She shakes her head, her eyes boring into mine. 'No,' she says. 'No, I won't do that to him. It's his leg; it's his decision to make.'

I tense momentarily. My heart tells me that now is the time for action--to wait will cause the Thain unnecessary pain and grief. Added to this is the fact that I do not know when another attack is likely to strike. Perhaps when he has slept himself out, the spasms will return...

I look up to see Samwise staring at me in horror, and Merry beyond him, his mouth open as if he'd protest, yet Diamond has spoken before he could find the words to voice his objection. I see, too, the fear in his eyes, fear that I am right and that his cousin will yet die writhing in agony. On the other hand, he might anyhow, were we to saw away at his leg, and if he came awake in the middle of it all, and did not swoon as I expect, nay, as I hope. Merry could persuade Diamond, I think to myself. He is half-persuaded already; he could convince her that this is the only way to save her husband. I look from Merry to Diamond, back to Merry, and stop. But could he live with himself, after?

I sigh, and feel my shoulders slump. 'Very well, my lady,' I say wearily. 'I will abide by your decision.'

I hear a shuddering sigh from the direction of Samwise, and I turn to him, meeting his shocked eyes, and Merry's grave look. 'You might as well go get some rest now,' I tell them. Merry shakes his head stubbornly, but I insist. 'He'll sleep a while, I think. I will let you know if there's any change.'

Merry protests, but he is swaying with weariness, and I see that he absently rubs at his right hand with his left, as if the hand pains him. I change tactics. 'Samwise,' I say crisply. 'Take Merry to his quarters, and deliver him into the hands of his wife. Tell her that healer's orders are for him to rest, and I shall send along a sleeping draught if need be.'

'No, I...' Merry says, and tries to shake off Sam's hand on his arm. Sam himself looks completely drained; I wonder if he'll have the strength to take himself to his rest. But giving him the job of delivering Merry will at least budge him from the room and start him walking in the right direction.

'Go, Merry,' Diamond says firmly. She holds her sleeping husband a little more tightly. 'Don't you worry,' she adds. 'I will watch over our Pippin while you sleep; he'll have all his parts and pieces when you return from your rest. I swear it.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List