Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 10 – Rhinure

 

Rhinure whistled for her horse and lightly vaulted on it. The other three riders quickly fell into position around her. Two riders alongside and one right behind her; protecting her from all sides except the front. Legolas noted this with interest – the Home Guard generally surrounded him, covering him from attack from any corner. He wondered why the Avari did not do the same.

 

As the company called their own horses, Legolas studied the Moriquendi. Unfortunately, he did not get far. All four wore identical black cloaks, with large hoods obscuring their faces. Legolas could not clearly see what they were wearing under their cloaks, though from the barest of glimpses he got – they seemed to be wearing black.

 

The concealment was so effective that ‘she’ could be a ‘he’ for all Legolas could tell. Legolas tried to get a glimpse under the cloak, but the angle ‘she’ kept her head at meant that he would have to crane his neck to see under the hood.

 

“Are we ready to leave yet, my Lord?” Rhinure reminded Legolas that the entire company was awaiting his orders. The speaker’s voice was definitely female, low but still high-pitched enough not to belong to a male elf.

 

For a second, Legolas contemplated demanding that she – and the rest of her escort – lower their hoods in order to be identified. But the more he thought about it the more trivial it seemed; he would not be able to pick out his wife-to-be in a crowd of one. He had neglected to ask Thranduil about what Rhinure looked like.

 

He would have to take her at her word. However, he was not comfortable with the idea.

 

He signalled the Guard to remain on alert.

 

If the Avari noticed that the Wood-Elves hands did not stray from their bows and blades, they did not comment, or indicate that anything was amiss. They calmly waited until Legolas gave the order to return home.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Thranduil waited at the steps of the palace, obviously having been informed of Lady Rhinure’s arrival.  Legolas was glad someone had the foresight to inform his father, he was having trouble thinking straight at this point in time.

 

Truth be told, he was having trouble breathing. Panic threatened to engulf him, he felt a strong hand grip his heart and squeeze it till Legolas was afraid it would burst. Legolas glanced at Rhinure, what was she thinking at this moment. Did it even matter?

 

Herenion gently placed his hand on Legolas’ shoulder, “Keep control, little one. Be strong, remember who you are and why you do this.”

 

Legolas nodded and descended. He walked towards Lady Rhinure’s horse, intending to offer to help her dismount. She looked down at him, and slipped off the horse without assistance.

 

Her three shadows, silently fell behind her as she approached Thranduil.

 

“Lady Rhinure, we did not expect you so soon.” Thranduil stepped forward to greet her, his face smiling but his eyes were wary.

 

“I did not feel it prudent to delay longer.” A slight turn of the head in Legolas’ direction told him that she had doubts about his willingness. She probably wanted to be here in personal to make sure everything went smoothly – as was to be expected from a princess.

 

“Mistress, you have come.” Arandur stepped aside from the King. He bent on one knee and brought his fist to his heart.

 

“Amin naa lle nai”     <I am yours to command >

 

Arandur have never bowed to Thranduil before and now Legolas knew why. Arandur might have vowed to serve and protect Thranduil but ultimately his loyalty lay with the Avari – with his people, with this elf-maid.

 

“Arise, my servant. I am pleased to see thee well.” Rhinure answered formally.

 

Arandur arose and Rhinure turned to Thranduil, “We have been riding for many days, my Lord. If you do not mind could we be shown to our rooms?”

 

Thranduil nodded, “Let Prince Legolas show you to your rooms.”

 

Legolas stepped forward as Rhinure turned to face him. Her hands came up to lift her hood back.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

For a minute, Legolas held his breath as Rhinure lowered her hood. For a minute, he hoped – hoped for what? Hoped that the elleth he was promised to would make everything okay. He was hoping for a vision, someone to make his heart race and make him forget all the troubles that had plagued him in the recent days.

 

Rhinure was dark – black hair scarped back tightly in a bun, black eyes that burned with a black gaze. Legolas could not help but compare her to Arwen, to Rhinure’s detriment. Arwen’s dark beauty was compelling, unusual – Rhinure’s was withering. She seemed to suck the light around her until she felt like a dark stain in the bright light.

 

It was not that she was not beautiful – as an Elf that would have been impossible – but neither was she stunning. She was, for lack of a better word, adequate. She was someone who your eyes would overlook in a crowd, someone who you would skim over if you saw them casually. She was at best, pleasant looking.

 

At least, she would have been, if there were any hint of warmth in her face. She stood dispassionately as Legolas examined her. She showed neither interest nor discomfort at his scrutiny. And that was probably what unnerved Legolas the most; he had been used to getting some reaction from ellyth. He was handsome and he knew it; most elves at least blushed under his look if not delighted.

 

Rhinure, on the other hand, stood to attention as if she were a guard under inspection. And Legolas realised, that to her, it probably was an inspection – a prince inspecting his goods. At that thought, Legolas let his eyes fall from her face; ashamed that he had been so rude.

 

“If you are done, Prince Legolas, may we be shown to our quarters?”

 

Legolas looked at Rhinure, she did not seemed to be offended – she did not seem to have even noticed his examination. Her face was impassive. Legolas realised that the stone mask that Arandur wore, was common to all Avari. He looked over her escort, who had their hoods down as well – sure enough, their faces were as expressionless.

 

 Legolas extended his arm to Rhinure, “If my Lady would like to follow me?”

 

This time she did not refuse, taking his arm she followed him.

 

Legolas could not help but feel that her touch was cold.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas escorted Rhinure to the set of rooms that had been given to her. It was a silent walk, she did not seem to be very interested in conversation and he kept surreptitiously glancing at her profile. He racked his brains to think of something – anything, to say to her but failed.

 

“These, my Lady, are you rooms. We were not expecting you so soon, so please excuse the state they are in.”

 

The rooms were very spacious and overlooked the gardens. The sun streamed in from the large windows, and warmed the rooms. They were beautiful rooms, and were pleasantly decorated with many vases of flowers. The sweet smell permeated the senses as one entered.

 

Rhinure looked at one of her escorts, an elleth, Legolas was surprised to note.

 

“The room is generally defensible, though the windows might present a problem. It will do – for now.”

 

Legolas gritted his teeth – not liking the implication that Mirkwood could not look after its new princess. “I assure you, my Lady that you will not lack for any comfort here, and you will be more than adequately guarded.”

 

The elleth stepped forward, “I am Ehtewen, Lady Rhinure’s First Guard. We protect her, we always have, and we will decide when she is ‘more than adequately guarded’.”

 

Legolas choose not to take affront at that matter-of-fact declaration – though he could have, easily. Rhinure watched as he graciously bowed to Ehtewen and said, “I am glad that my lady has such dedicated bodyguards.”

 

Rhinure did not miss the slight stress Legolas put on the word ‘my’, reminding Ehtewen who she spoke to.

 

Neither did Ehtewen.

 

Rhinure turned to face Legolas, “Will these be my quarters permanently?”

 

“No, my Lady, you will move to the Princess’ chambers when the ceremony is finished.”

 

“May I ask, why I have not been assigned those rooms now?”

 

Legolas blinked, “Because they are next to mine.”

 

Rhinure lifted one of her eyebrows questioningly.

 

Legolas looked at her, not sure how to answer her. Why was she not given the Princess’ chambers now? Their marriage was certain, and it was not as if he was going to take ‘advantage’ of her being near him. And from her demeanour, she did not seem the type who gave in to ‘impulses’. There was nothing injurious in being so near – except to custom.

 

“It is expected that you do not move in till you are married – to me.” Legolas said slowly, unwilling to say the last words.

 

Rhinure nodded, if it was a custom of her Lord’s peoples then she would abide by it.

 

Legolas hid the relief that her answer caused. He wanted the last few days of freedom to be days of solitude as well.

 

Legolas bowed, and turned to leave the room. “I will send someone to show your escort to their rooms as well.

 

“There is no need. My Guard stays with me.”

 

Legolas’ lips thinned at that answer; so Rhinure did not put her trust in Mirkwood’s defences either.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Ehtewen watched Legolas leave the room, “He seemed angry.”

 

Rhinure, eyes locked at the door, absentmindedly nodded, “He does not control his emotions well. His face is expressive, and his eyes scream what he feels.”

 

“They all share their emotions,” Morion, Second Guard of the Avari pointed out.

 

“We must tread carefully, they seem to be easily affronted,” Istion, the last elf in Rhinure’s guard, observed.

 

“Very easily, I was sure that Prince Legolas was going to strike me,” Ehtewen said.

 

Rhinure shook her head, “No, whatever he feels, he will not lost control so easily. Do not underestimate him. He is not Avari, but he is not so simple either.”

 

The three guards nodded, taking the warning to heart.

 

“He is not unpleasant to look at. Though he is blond, I am certain he will be pleasing in bed.” Ehtewen mused.

 

“It is irrelevant. I will marry him because I must. Whether he pleases me or not, I will do my duty.” Rhinure’s face did not betray any distress at that thought.

 

The three guards nodded, and went to check the room to weaknesses. None of their eyes held the slightest sympathy for her situation.

 

Pity was not to be wasted – what was, was. If it could not be changed, then it was senseless to commiserate.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Istion opened the door, admitting Arandur in to see Rhinure.

 

“Mistress, I wish to speak to you.”

 

Rhinure waved him to a chair in front of him.

 

Arandur sat down, and stared at her. “Mistress, what possessed you to agree to this marriage?”

 

“I do what is best for the Avari – as I have always done, Arandur.”

 

“How can binding yourself to the Prince be good for our people?”

 

“We gain allies, how can that be a bad thing?”

 

“We do not need allies.” Arandur’s voice became deadly, “The Avari have always looked after their own – we not need outsiders.”

 

“That is your opinion, I do not agree.” Rhinure’s voice was as lethal.

 

“You are wrong. The Wood-elves would just use us – as the Eldar always have.”

 

“And we will use them. It is a fair bargain.”

 

“They do not trust us.”

 

“It is immaterial, we do not trust them either.” Arandur clenched his fists, a sign of how angry he was. Rhinure watched him without moving a muscle, but somehow conveying that she was dissatisfied with his emotional display. “You will bind yourself to an Eldar, vow to him, give him your Honour. To demean yourself like that demeans us all.”

 

“Be careful Arandur. I let you speak, but do not presume to instruct me. I am Sacrifice, not you. It is my decision.”

 

“Not if you continue is such a irresponsible manner.” Arandur almost spat the sentence out.

 

“That is enough.” Rhinure’s voice was like a whip. Its cold menace, quickly brought Arandur back to his senses.

 

Without a word, Morion drew his blade.

 

“Never question my commitment to my people.” Rhinure’s eyes burned – they were so cold that Arandur knew he had gone too far.

 

Morion brought his blade to Arandur’s neck – he did not move, his life was now forfeit.

 

“I could have your head for this, Arandur.”

 

Morion pressed the blade slightly into Arandur’s neck.

 

“You have lived too long with these Elves. You forget who you are.” Arandur inwardly flinched at Rhinure’s words. He had lost control of his emotions.

 

“You forget who I am. I am your Sacrifice. I am Avari.”

 

Morion held the blade calmly, and looked into the Captain’s eyes. “Do you wish to beg for your life, Captain? Our Sacrifice can be merciful,” he asked quietly.

 

“Never. Avari do not beg. I am Avari.” Arandur was calm now.

 

“Remember that. Do your duty as you vowed to, Arandur, otherwise I will reverse my decision. Let him go.” Morion quickly sheathed his blade at Rhinure’s command.

 

“Leave me now, and do not do this again, Arandur.” Rhinure looked at the Captain and he knew that next time, Morion would take his head off – no questions asked.

 

Arandur stood up and walked towards the door. Before he could leave, Ehtewen whispered into his ear, “If you ever speak to her in that manner, I will make you wish you had never been born.”

 

It was no idle threat, and Arandur knew it.

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List