Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 16 - Late Night Dinner

 

Herenion was ushered into Lady Rhinure’s chambers by a silent Ehtewen. There was no more conversation between the two bodyguards as they walked through the silent halls.

 

Herenion took this opportunity to study Ehtewen; shrouded in her black cloak she seemed to be the living embodiment of nightmares. Her feet hardly made any sound as they struck the ground, and her gait was graceful as only an elf’s could be. She was a shadow come to life.

 

It was no wonder that the Avari were feared in battle. They were not ones to stand and fight you eye-to-eye, face-to-face – they disappeared as you watched them only to reappear when you least expected.

 

Herenion had seen Arandur fight for long enough to know that he was dangerous but it was only now that he was beginning to realise how dangerous. Arandur was constrained by the demands of his position and Thranduil’s expectations. He was an Avari who fought like the Wood-elves. Ehtewen, on the other hand, seemed completely natural and at home in the dark; the Avari’s preferred time. She was an example of a predator in its natural element.

 

Herenion had no doubt that Rhinure was much the same.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Herenion watched as Rhinure offered him a seat near her. She was calmly seated near the fire, the black folds of her gown reflecting the orange light until it seemed as if she flickered and burned herself.

 

“You have my gratitude, First Guard.”

 

“I could not refuse a summons from my Princess.” Herenion replied truthfully.

 

Rhinure cocked an eyebrow a Herenion’s use of the term ‘princess’. He obeyed because of his loyalty to Legolas, no more, no less.

 

Herenion smiled when he realised that Rhinure had understood him perfectly – she was sharp, he had to give her that.

 

Rhinure waved Istion forward, who carried something in his hands, “I noted that you had not eaten. It would please me if you ate with us.” Istion bent and kept a large tray full of steaming food in front of Herenion. Then he and the rest of the Avari sat down around Rhinure; each of them taking a bit of the food. “I did not think it would be easy for you to get a meal at this time of the night and there is plenty here.” Rhinure added when she saw the stunned expression on Herenion’s face.

 

Herenion could only stare at her; not sure whether to be more confused about the fact that she had noticed that he had not eaten, or the fact that she had extended the invitation in the first place. This was completely unexpected – he was not sure whether to be grateful or suspicious. What did she want from him?

 

“You can eat first and then worry about my motives, First Guard.” Rhinure said quietly.

 

She was sharp indeed – Herenion would have to consider whether that made her more dangerous or less.

 

“Try these – the Avari are particularly fond of them.” Rhinure finally offered him a roll of bread, which was full of meat – or so it seemed to Herenion.

 

He cautiously took the offered dish and bit into it. It was surprisingly good, if a little piquant. He gingerly took another bite.

 

“Do not worry, it has not been poisoned.”

 

Rhinure’s voice had seemed almost . . . amused? Did she just make a joke?

 

All in all, it was a pleasant meal – the three Avari and one Mirkwood Elf ate in silence, each filling themselves after a hard day as Lady Rhinure watched over them.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“Did you enjoy your dinner, First Guard?”

 

“Yes, my Lady. You may call me Herenion if you wish.”

 

“You are First Guard are you not?”

 

Herenion nodded, “Yes I am, I am bodyguard to the Heir – to Prince Legolas presently and to the King before he took the throne.”

 

“Then I will call you First Guard.” And it when Rhinure said, it was not some empty title meant to flatter, but a reminder of who he was and what he had sworn. It felt like an honour when she said it; it was a mark of respect.

 

“My Lady, why did you summon me?”

 

“I wished to speak to you.”

 

“About what?”

 

“About Prince Legolas.”

 

Herenion nodded, he was the logical choice. Thranduil would be too busy to satisfy any idle curiosity Rhinure had – though Herenion doubted that anything she did was idle.

 

“What would you have me tell you, my Lady?”

 

“He is not happy with the marriage.”

 

Herenion was taken aback at the statement, should he deny it and risk lying to her, or should he tell her the truth and risk her wrath? Rhinure kept looking at him and Herenion was struck at how old her face looked at the moment, weighed down with considerations someone this young had no business thinking about.

 

He could not lie to her.

 

“No, my Lady. He is not happy at the thought of marriage,” he stated cautiously.

 

“Do I displease him so much?”

 

“My Lady?”

 

“Is marriage to me such an unpleasant prospect?” Rhinure calmly asked. She would know the answer.

 

“My lady, it is not that he dislikes the thought of marrying you, it’s just that he dislikes the thought of marrying anyone, marrying a . . .”

 

“A stranger?”

 

“Yes. You are unfamiliar to him, and that makes him uneasy.”

 

“Is that why he looks at me with such aversion sometimes? Is that why everyone looks at me as if I was distasteful – because I am an outsider?”

 

Herenion swallowed, she was too perceptive for her own good. “My Lady, it is because you are an outsider … and because you are an Avari.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Forgive us, my Lady. We have been taught that the Avari were untrustworthy, that they disobeyed the Valar, they . . .”

 

Herenion fell silent when he saw Rhinure’s cold face.

 

“And does Prince Legolas feel the same way?” Her voice was clipped, and Herenion knew that she was angry. He could only nod, suddenly fearful about what her reaction would be. He was alone in a room full of Avari – it was not the most sensible thing to anger them.

 

The minutes ticked away and Rhinure did not say anything. She just sat there and gazed at Herenion. It was as if someone had replaced her with a marble statue, cold and unfeeling and strangely perfect. The only sign of life in her were her eyes, and even they were frigid.

 

“My Lady, please forgive my words. I did not mean to offend.”

 

Rhinure finally turned away from him and looked into the burning fire, “You did not offend, First Guard. It is difficult to overturn what one is taught. I had hoped that our actions would have spoken louder but obviously they have not.”

 

Her words made him realise that maybe, just maybe, what he had been taught was wrong. They made him realise that the Avari were people as well – people who had never betrayed Mirkwood’s trust, despite what the teachings had said.

 

It was a painful experience.

 

“We must try harder.” Rhinure said steadily, accepting what Herenion had told her and moving on to the next stage.

 

Herenion had never felt more ashamed of anything he had ever said.

 

“My Lady . . . I  . . .”

 

“You have apologised once already, First Guard. Do not do so again and devalue your own words.”

 

Herenion fell silent, waiting for her to dismiss him. He figured that she would not want him in her presence at all.

 

He was surprised once more.

 

“Tell me something about the Prince.” Rhinure asked very softly.

 

“What would you like to know him?”

 

“What was he like as an Elfling?”

 

Herenion grinned, his eyes sparkling. He forgot about his earlier discomfort, as he spoke about his beloved prince. “He was a handful. That is the only way to describe him. He brought laughter wherever he went; his antics were enough to make anyone smile. His actions were only an indication of his spirit and skill. I remember a time when he snuck out of the nursery into the throne room. No one noticed him, until he saw his father. There was a huge uproar in the court than when he launched himself on his father. He refused to let go of Thranduil’s legs, no matter what his Nurse told him. Thranduil did not have the heart to reprimand him; all Legolas had to do was turn his big blue eyes on the King and anything he wanted was his.” Herenion chuckled as he thought of that little terror that Legolas used to be.

 

“He was no better when he grew up. He had more than a healthy sense of adventure and I am sure Thranduil prematurely aged centuries because of Legolas’ ‘adventures’. But when it came down to it, Legolas adored his father and would do anything for him. If it meant studying long, boring lessons Legolas would do so because it made Thranduil happy. That generous heart came to include our people as well as Legolas’ became more mature. In fact, that is why he joined the Fellowship.”

 

Only then did Herenion notice that he had been speaking non-stop for a while now. It was unlikely that Rhinure was interested in little Legolas’ antics but it had made him feel comfortable. It had washed away the tension that had filled the room because of his indiscrete words.

 

He smiled gratefully at Rhinure – yes, she would make a good princess.

 

“Why did he join the Fellowship?” Rhinure gently prompted Herenion; more absorbed by his tale than she would have thought probable.

 

“He did it because he felt a duty to Middle Earth. He could not let the Ring Bearer face those dangers alone when it was in his powers to help. It would have been irresponsible of him.”

 

“What about his duty to Mirkwood?”

 

“If they had failed then Mirkwood would have been no longer. So, in a way, he was helping his people by helping Middle Earth.”

 

“Could not some one else have gone in his place?”

 

“That was Lord Elrond’s decision to make, but would you abandon your people in the time of war? Would you not lead them, no matter the risk to yourself?”

 

Rhinure bent her head, acknowledging the justice of what he said. She would lead her people, no matter the cost to herself. “However, it seems as if he was generously compensated for his ordeal.”

 

“Do you speak of the awe people hold him in, my Lady? If so, then let me assure you that Legolas is not one to let himself be swayed by such petty emotions.”

 

“I do not think the respect of his people his petty, First Guard. But that is not what I meant, I was referring to the allies he made on the journey itself.”

 

“They were more than allies to him, my Lady. They were friends, companions. It is amazing how much he has come to care for them in such a short time. He holds them close to his heart. Even that dwarf, Gimli.”

 

Herenion shook his head deprecatingly, “That is something I can never understand. His friendship with King Elessar I can condone, but befriending a dwarf . . .?”

 

“Do not be so quick to judge, First Guard. Maybe we do not choose our friends but they choose us. It reflects good taste on the dwarf’s part if he choose Prince Legolas as a friend.”

 

Herenion smiled, he had not seen it in that fashion. But a dwarf . . .!

 

“If these allies are so important to him then why would he not invite them to his joining?” Rhinure asked after a pause.

 

Herenion sighed, they were treaded uncomfortable waters again, “My Lady, he would have them near him if he could. But you more than anyone know that Mirkwood is not safe at the moment. Legolas would not needlessly jeopardise his friends.”

 

Rhinure contemplated that piece of information, deciding that it was in Legolas’ favour that he put his friends’ safety before his need. Such consideration was rare even in Elves. The instinctive thing would have been to surround him with his loved ones – if only to dull the distaste of the act itself.

 

“Thank you, First Guard. You have given me much to think about.”

 

Herenion rose and bowed to this maiden who would soon be his princess. He meant it when he said, “The pleasure was all mine, my Lady.”

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Morion waited until Herenion left the room to ask, “Did you get what you wanted, Mistress.”

 

“Yes.” Rhinure looked at him. “See it done.”

 

Morion brought his fist to his heart.

 

“I shall be as you wish.”

 

With that, he swept out of the room, melding into the darkness.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List