Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 20 – Walking

 

Sure enough, Legolas took her to see the gardens, another one of many in the palace. He insisted on telling her about every shrub, every flower that they came across. Rhinure was tempted to clamp his mouth shut but decided that he would keep talking anyway.

 

Legolas did not know how much longer he could keep this up. He wished had paid more attention to his tutors during the botany lessons. But for the life of him, he could not remember anything beyond names – and the fact that certain parts of the garden were used by young elf as hiding places from their parents.

 

He led her to a particular favourite among young elves. It was near the corner of the garden, overshadowed by a large tree. Long ivy tendrils hung from its branches forming a green curtain, which hid offenders from view. Legolas led Rhinure inside without thinking.

 

It was cool inside the little bower and blissfully secluded. The very air exuded youth – and romance. Hundreds of couples had come here to steal their first kiss, or make their first declaration of love – as had Legolas himself. He still remembered the pretty blush of the elf-maid when he had made his protestations. He could still feel the light brush of her lips against his – it had made him feel so powerful.

 

Rhinure watched as a small smile formed across his face. She could see that he remembered something pleasant; something which had faded into a warm ember. “What was her name?”

 

Legolas suddenly realised that he was supposed to be showing Rhinure the grounds. He looked at her, confused by the question.

 

“The girl’s name? The one you were just thinking of right now.” Rhinure asked again, interested in who had put that fond smile on his face.

 

“And why do you presume it was a girl, my Lady?”

 

“I just thought . . . this place seemed as if it was built for lovers.”

 

Legolas blinked, it was the first wistful remark he had ever heard from her. He watched her face as she looked around the alcove. The shadows softened her usually sharp expression into something softer – something more normal. Legolas could almost imagine someone bringing this Rhinure to such a place – maybe even him.

 

Feeling his eyes on her, Rhinure turned back to face him, only to find herself looking at the bluest eyes she had ever seen.

 

Legolas wondered what it would have been like if he had met Rhinure under different circumstances. Would this tension still have existed between them, would they be friends? Would they be lovers? Would he ever have bothered looking at her more than once?

 

Probably not, she was not beautiful and Legolas had seen many who outshone her. He did not think that if they had met under normal circumstances he would have given her more than a glance. It was the brutal truth; nothing about her struck him as memorable.

 

And then he made the mistake of looking into her eyes – so large and black. He could not figure out where her pupil ended and her iris began – both were almost the same dark shade. But more than the colour, it was the expression in those eyes that fascinated Legolas. For someone as controlled and cold as Rhinure, her eyes was surprisingly expressive. They could pin him with a withering expression or shut him out completely. They were eyes that challenged him, mocked him, drew him in.

 

They were merciless, Legolas decided. There was no softness in them or warmth – but they burned with a cold flame that drew Legolas like a moth. He had never seen anything like this before – he had never known that ice could burn. The fact that sometimes, for the smallest of moments, he got the impression that something bigger, more recognisable hid under those closed depths drew him even more. He would chip through that ice, little by a little if need be.

 

Not if Rhinure had anything to do about it though, she did not appreciate that propriety gleam that Legolas had in his eyes. It was as if he had discovered this fascinating new toy, which he was determined to have. Something deep inside her, a part of her, which she generally chose to ignore, resented that expression. She could not let Legolas have what he wanted too easily.

 

Where was fun in that?

 

“So, my Lord, are you not going to answer my question?” Rhinure asked, needing to break this silence between them.

 

It took Legolas a moment to realise what Rhinure was talking about, his thought were so scattered. “She was called Laerwen.”

 

*~ I wonder what she will do if I kissed her. ~*

 

“And where is she now?”

 

*~ She would probably kill me. ~*

 

“I believe she is happily married with three children.”

 

*~ Yes, she would definitely kill me. ~*

 

“Shall we continue, my Lady?”

 

“If you wish, my Lord.”

 

*~ More dull plant lessons. ~* Surprisingly, both elves’ thoughts were identical at that point.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

*~ How many gardens does this palace have? ~* Rhinure thought a little desperately.  *~ I do not think I can take this any longer. ~*

 

It seemed as if Legolas had the very same idea for he suddenly stopped walking to face Rhinure. “You are really not interested in the gardens are you, my Lady?”

 

Rhinure cocked a brow, “Really, my lord, whatever gave you that idea?” Her eyes told him that he should have noticed a long time ago.

 

“The fact that I asked you the same question three times and received three different answers,” Legolas grinned.

 

Rhinure did not comment but Legolas was sure he saw a flash of mortification on her face.

 

He decided not to make an issue of it.

 

“May I ask why the Lady Rhinure is not interested in these wondrous sights around her?”

 

At least not too much of an issue about it.

 

Rhinure chose to take the question seriously; maybe it would prevent more of these walks. “Nature should not be contained in this petty fashion. It should not be inhibited, and forced into patterns you wish. It should be free – and wild. Only then is it worthy of beauty and respect.”

 

Legolas thought about what she had said, and he had to admit – the natural forest, for all its unruliness and asymmetry, was awe-inspiring and breath taking in its beauty. It was majestic, something that these garden could not be.

 

“But, my Lady, there is much beauty in these gardens too if you look for it. There has been much love lavished on these plants and much effort taken to please the watchers’ eyes. If for nothing else, these gardens are beautiful for that.”

 

Rhinure did not say anything – it would take her time so find such beauty.

 

Legolas watched her for a moment and then impulsively took her hand.

 

Rhinure looked at him questioningly.

 

“Come on.” Legolas impatiently tugged her hand. “I want to show you something.”

 

Rhinure let Legolas drag her out of this garden, praying that he was not taking her to another one.

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“Where do you take me, my Lord?”

 

“To a place dear to my heart,” Legolas said a little excitedly. “And somewhere infinitely more interesting than the gardens.”

 

*~ That will not take much though. ~* Rhinure thought acidly, but kept silent, not wanting to dim the prince’s enthusiasm.

 

“Well, we are here.”

 

“At the archery ranges, my Lord?”

 

“Not just any archery ranges, these are the novice archery ranges.”

 

“Fascinating, my Lord.”

 

Legolas grinned at the sarcasm, “Is this not better than the gardens?”

 

“Not much better, but yes – better.”

 

Legolas laughed, at least Rhinure was not one to mince words. He would have to remember that – and how stimulating it could be. “I drew my first arrow here. And missed my first target. These were the fields where I learnt that no sound was more beautiful than the sound of a bow. Nothing was more beautiful than a well-crafted weapon in one’s hand.”

 

Legolas lightly caressed the practise bows lying in front of him as a lover caressed his beloved. “The day my fingers bled from pulling the sting I knew, I knew that I had to be the best archer there ever was. Do you use the bow, my Lady?”

 

Rhinure took a step towards the bows as well, avoiding Legolas’ eyes, or more precisely, avoiding the earnestness in his eyes. “I know some of the art, my Lord, but I doubt my skill is anything compared to your fabled one.”

 

“You flatter me, my Lady.” Legolas picked up a bow, knowing it to be the trainer’s bow. He casually drew an arrow and let it fly. It was an easy shot but nonetheless it hit dead centre. “Maybe I can teach you, my Lady. These ranges were also were I taught my first class.” Legolas laid down the bow and turned away, expecting Rhinure to follow.

 

Then he heard another arrow fly through the air and hit a target. When he turned, he saw the Rhinure’s arrow had split his in two. Also dead centre.

 

“Yes, my Lord. I would greatly appreciate novice training.” Rhinure put the bow down and swept past Legolas.

 

This would be interesting.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“My Lady, you said that you did not know how to handle a bow.” Legolas admonished, still a bit stunned at the casual way she had split his arrows. Granted this was a novice range but still …

 

“My Lord, I said that my skill did not compare to yours. I did not say that I was a novice. You assumed that all by yourself.”

 

Legolas did not know whether to strangle that expression of her face or kiss it. It was delightful though, this teasing.

 

*~ That is it, I am losing my mind – I am actually enjoying being made fun of. This has to stop. ~*

 

“I humbly beg forgiveness, my Lady. Shall we see how far your skill does go?” Legolas offered her his arm and led her toward the practise ranges.

 

“These are where the warriors practise, my Lady.”

 

“I never would have guessed.” Rhinure pointedly looked at the four or five elves who had stopped to look at their prince and his strange lady.

 

Legolas quickly choose a bow and fired an arrow – not surprising anyone when it hit the target. “Your turn.”

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

The Silvan elves watched in amazement as Lady Rhinure quickly selected a bow and as quickly split their Prince’s arrows.

 

Legolas grinned when she raised her eyebrow in challenge.

 

Yes, this was considerably more interesting that remembering plant names.

 

“Let us try something a little harder, my Lady.”

 

Legolas chose the most difficult target on the field; aiming carefully – amused to see Rhinure watch him instead of the target. However, her posture was perfect. He let the arrow go and a beat later Rhinure did so as well.

 

“You really should have waited to see what I was aiming . . .” Legolas winced when Rhinure’s arrow split his again.

 

Rhinure did not need to concentrate on where Legolas was aiming – all she had to do was carefully watch him. To beat an opponent, you watched him and not some target.

 

“You were saying, my lord?”

 

The elves around them whispered quietly – Lady Rhinure’s skill was impressive. None were yet ready to bet against their Prince yet. Though, as the day progressed, some might have changed their minds. Rhinure kept up with Legolas easily, if not beating him then matching him.

 

Legolas laughed when Rhinure split another arrow of his, “This is getting to be a bad habit, my Lady. You are splitting my arrows too easily.”

 

Rhinure looked at Legolas, when he laughed he give the impression of being younger than he was. He did not appear to be an experienced warrior that he was – the warrior Rhinure saw when he drew his bow. “You need to stop being so obvious with your shots, my Lord, if you hope to beat me.”

 

Legolas pondered on what she had said, he had noticed that she watched him more closely than she watched the target. Was it to gauge where he was going to shoot and how? Rhinure was using his skill to help her, Legolas realised with awe. She had also given him the opening her needed to beat her. Now Legolas shot his arrows one after the other, with blinding speed, not giving Rhinure the change to fire her own.

 

Rhinure tilted her head and watched him for a second - he had adapted. She turned to the target next to Legolas and started firing, for the first time not aiming to split Legolas’ arrows.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Despite the fact that Rhinure no longer read Legolas, she still proved to be a worthy opponent. Legolas won comfortably in the end, but only he realised the amount of concentration he had to put in it. He was impressed with her skill, though it did not match his – as she had said, she was one of the best archers he had seen.

 

Rhinure put down the bow, having gone through the most gruelling archery match in her memory. Though the bow was not her preferred weapon, she was proud of her skill with it. But today, she had seen the skill taken to the level of an art. Legolas was truly one with his bow and it was a remarkable sight. Rhinure knew she would have not done half as well if she had been unable to read Legolas in the beginning. She would have like to watch him for longer and it seemed as if Legolas had not objections.

 

However, the weapons master did. He insisted that no more arrows be wasted, since both were sporting not truly practising. Neither really needed the practise, so if they would kindly leave and not distract the warriors any further.

 

Legolas grinned and caught up Rhinure’s hand. “Come my Lady, it seems as if we are no longer wanted here.”

 

She barely had time to acknowledge the admiration of the other Elven Guard before Legolas dragged her away again.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“Where now, my Lord?” Rhinure asked as Legolas took her away from the field.

 

Legolas shrugged, having no clue where he was taking her. All he knew was that he had not had so much fun in a while. If someone had told him that his affianced would be able to handle the bow very competently, he would have laughed in his face. If someone had told him that he would be able to have fun with Rhinure, he would have thought the elf crazy.

 

He tucked her arm into his and just walked. He could not resist the urge to tease her, “Maybe the gardens again, my Lady? We left out a few.” Rhinure’s glare was enough to tell him that the idea was not a welcome one. “Then would you like to see the meadow that is being prepared for our wedding?” Legolas asked softly, all hint of laughter leaving his face.

 

Rhinure nodded slowly.

 

 x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas lead her out to a large meadow, nestled between the Great Forest’s trees. Already elves walked all over it, busy with construction and other tasks. At one end, a large number of them were constructing a dais of some sort.

 

“That will be where we take out vows, under the sun, in front of the entire nobility of Mirkwood,” Legolas said pointing to the group. “Right now it does not seem much, but it will be covered with flowers on the day. They will build an arc from which flowers will fall onto your hair in benediction.”

 

Rhinure watched the elves hurry about their tasks and all she could think of was that is was a huge waste for what should have been a simple ceremony.

 

Legolas mistook her look for disappointment, “I know it does not seem much now but in the early morn it will sparkle. I promise you that, my Lady.”

 

“Are all Silvan weddings held in the Sun?”

 

“Of course, my Lady. Specifically, they are held in the early morning when the Sun still had to rise. We take it as symbolic of the beginning of the couple’s new life. This is also why we hold it out in the open, under the trees. All of Nature gives its blessing to the union – everything is done in the open.”

 

“It is a lovely sentiment, I suppose.”

 

“How do the Avari do it, my Lady?” Legolas asked curiously.

 

“Not like this, there is less pageantry in the whole process. It is more private since the vows mainly concern the two elves alone. We would not waste time with such preparations.”

 

“Would you not celebrate your joy for all to see, my Lady?”

 

“It is not an occasion to celebrate, my Lord. It is a solemn occasion for us, a binding – a swearing of vows. Joy has little to do with it.”

 

Legolas tried to change the subject; he did not want to think of how different his Lady was. For just one day, he wanted the illusion that Rhinure was a blushing, Silvan bride.

 

“Where do you have it? Inside?”

 

Rhinure shook her head; “We too have it under the open sky.” At least that much was common to their people. “But we have it under the light of the full Moon, when the sky glows silver. When the harshness of the Sun is hidden and peace reigns.”

 

One more difference between the two - but Legolas could see the beauty of Rhinure’s way. He could imagine seeing her under the light of the moon, when the gentle light softened her as well. Yes, there was much charm in that picture.

 

“Would you like us to change the time?”

 

“No, my Lord, in the end the time or place is irrelevant. The oath I swear will be binding wherever I swear it, however I swear it.”

 

After that, there was not much to be said.

 

x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List