Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Moriquendi  by fan81981

Chapter 42 – Farewell

 

Somewhere, even in the depths of his slumber, Legolas felt Rhinure shift next to him – move away from him. Instinctively his arms tightened around her, holding her close to him. Even after hours of lovemaking, it seemed as if his body was incapable of letting her go.

 

Rhinure immediately stilled when she felt Legolas’ arms close around her. She did not dare to breath as she felt his arms pull her closer, nestling her against his chest. In fact, she could not breathe, his arms were holding her so tightly. It was as if they sensed that Rhinure was reluctant to stay – as if they knew that she wanted to leave.

 

And they would have been right. Though Rhinure’s body ached pleasantly from the night before and wanted to rest, it also knew that it would not find that peace next to this Eldar. It needed privacy; it needed space, which Legolas was loath to provide. As he turned to bury his face in the crook of her neck, Rhinure felt herself being suffocated.

 

Stilling her body and forcing herself to breathe calmly, she waited until Legolas’ body relaxed. Feeling his arms loosen about her, Rhinure carefully rolled away, wrapping her gown around her unclad body. Crouching on her heels, she looked down at her slumbering husband. He had managed to fall asleep after hours of making love to her. Even now, the memory of the night and those excruciatingly delightful hours make Rhinure shudder. Her entire body felt glutted with pleasure, tingling with the aftermath of Legolas’ touch.

 

After exhausting each other, Rhinure and Legolas had just laid there, not speaking, not moving for fear of disturbing the peace that had settled between them. Legolas’ eyes had followed each tiny little movement Rhinure made with an almost desperate intensity.

 

That desperation was mirrored in her now as she lightly traced the outline of his features. She smoothed the frown on Legolas’ forehead, following the line of his nose to brush his lips. Those lips which has done such wicked things to her.

 

Legolas stirred slightly under the light touch, perhaps instinctively sensing that something was wrong. Rhinure’s hand stilled instantly – she did not want him to wake. She needed some time for herself now. Time to be on her own – time to gather and repair herself. She would let him rest; there was no reason to bother him with her wishes. She would take care of them herself – as she must. She should leave, she had things to do, elves to see. Duty would call soon enough and she needed to prepare for its summons.

 

A faint sound behind her immediately put Rhinure on the alert. Someone was coming. Her hands clenched and her body tensed, ready to attack the intruder – until she realised who it was. Her whole being knew this elf, knew that this elf was not a danger – relatively speaking of course.

 

“It is almost light. If we are aiming to reach Tirnen as planned then we must leave soon.”

 

 “I did not realise it was that late, First Guard.”

 

Ehtewen hid a smile as she placed a cloak around Rhinure’s shoulders, “You were preoccupied, Mistress.”

 

Rhinure settled the cloak around her shoulders, the black material making her Avari again. “I see you did not obey me, First Guard.” Ehtewen crossed her arm at Rhinure’s observation. “You did not stay away.”

 

“I do not remember you ordering me to do, Mistress.”

 

Rhinure stood up, black cloak completely covering her, “I did not.” With that she walked away from the meadow, not sparing another glance at Legolas’ sleeping form.

 

“Will you not wake him, Mistress?”

 

“No, let him rest. At least one of us should.”

 

Ehtewen nodded and did not say anything more as they made their way back to the Palace. It was only when they reached Rhinure’s room did she comment, “I respected your privacy, Mistress.”

 

“As I expected you would, First Guard. Come, we have work to do. The Avari ride out at first light.” The Sacrifice had returned.

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Rhinure slipped into her room, confident that no one would disturb her. If the guards around the palace had seen her, as she expected they had, they would not think to inquire why Legolas was not with her. For now, she had time for her Avari.

 

Istion looked up when Rhinure entered, taking in her unbound hair and faintly bruised lips in silence. He did not have to inquire about whether Rhinure had a good night or not, the lightness in her step was proof enough. It seemed as if the Prince deserved more credit than Istion had been willing to give him. However, Istion frowned slightly when he saw the careful blankness in Rhinure’s eyes. His Mistress was in residence today, and with greater force than before.

 

Privately, his well-concealed love for his Mistress throbbed with concern. Rhinure had not been able to temporarily put aside her burden even in the arms of her husband. Though Istion had expected as much he had still dared to hope. Rhinure was Sacrifice – she had to remember when others could not. Remember her duty, her responsibility, her pain – everything. Only when she was alone, when she had complete privacy did she allow herself to feel and react to the constant pressures she was under. Istion hoped Legolas understood that and respected it. What was could not be changed and one had to accommodate, bend oneself around it. Istion hoped the stubborn Sindar prince would understand that and not push Rhinure too much. She would break otherwise.

 

“Istion, I would appreciate it if you paid attention to what I am saying.” Rhinure’s cool tone effectively brought him back from his speculations. Rhinure might break – but not today. Today the steel in her was strong, seemingly re-forged in the night.

 

“I am yours to command, Mistress.” Istion went through the traditional phrases, trying to focus on Rhinure, though part of his mind was lost elsewhere.

 

Rhinure raised her eyebrow in disapproval. Istion’s distraction was clear to her. “Bring Agorion to me.”

 

Istion saluted and left to carry out her commands. Ehtewen watched the young Elf as he left, “He is worried for you.”

 

“I did not ask him to be so.”

 

“But he is.”

 

“Then that is his worry.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Then why did you bring it up, First Guard?”

 

“I was just making an observation.”

 

“It was unneeded.”

 

“I know.”

 

Rhinure fell silent; if Ehtewen wanted to use Istion’s worry to bring up her own, then she would let her. However, what happened between Legolas and her and what she felt about it was her concern – no one else’s. It did not change her commitment to the Avari, it did not change her. Ehtewen had no right to question her, worry for her as if she had made a mistake. Rhinure clutched the joy and the confusion equally fiercely in her heart – determined to let no one near them.

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“You summoned me, Mistress.”

 

Rhinure pinned the last lock of her dark hair back before she turned around to look at Agorion. “We will leave soon, Captain. Are you prepared?”

 

“I believe the First Guard told you that we were,” Agorion answered distractedly. Something was different about his Mistress today.

 

“She did, but I ask you Captain – are you prepared?”

 

“Always, Mistress.” Agorion frowned as he noted the faint bruises around Rhinure’s wrist. They looked suspiciously like – fingerprints, “Who did that to you?” His voice was very calm and very angry. Someone had presumed to hurt his Sacrifice. That was unacceptable.

 

Rhinure followed Agorion’s gaze down to her wrist and realised that Legolas had been more than enthusiastic last night. He had managed to mark her in more ways than one. The delicate skin was faintly bruised, and it was obvious that she had been held down. “That is not your affair, Captain.”

 

“Someone has presumed to lay their hands on you, Mistress. That is most certainly my concern.” Agorion ignored the slight shaking of Ehtewen’s head. He would know what was going on. Rhinure’s safety was his duty as much as it was the First Guard’s.

 

“What my Lord does to me is his right, Captain. I suggest that you leave it as such.” Rhinure would have been amused by the concern her stoic Captain was displaying but this was not the time or place for it. She did not need or want this posturing from her Avari. She could take care of herself.

 

Agorion’s eyes widened slightly when he took in Rhinure’s meaning. Legolas had done this to her? Why? He looked at Istion who shook his head. It was best to drop the subject. Agorion chose to heed the advice this time though he was not pleased with the Prince’s behaviour. It was most inappropriate. If it happened again then perhaps Agorion would remind him of exactly why no one had the temerity to touch the Sacrifice.

 

“If you harm him in any way, Captain, I will personally gut you.” Rhinure recognised the gleam in Agorion’s eye. It was a threat, a warning to Legolas – a promise. And Rhinure would not tolerate either.

 

“Mistress, I did not say anything.”

 

“And it should remain that way. See that you do not do anything against him either. I will deal with it. This has nothing to do with the Avari.”

 

Agorion remained silent at that comment, though he patently disbelieved it. Everything Rhinure did had something to do with the Avari. However, it was not a sensible idea to anger Rhinure. If she chose keep the illusion of discretion then he would respect that – as long as she recognised it to be an illusion as clearly as he did.

 

Rhinure sighed inwardly – she knew better than any of the Avari in her room how untrue her words were. Anything and everything she did, she did for the Avari. Her entire life had belonged to them and now it belonged to Legolas as well. Everything she was, everything she did was controlled by these two commitments. Sometimes she thought she would be ripped apart by the inherent tension her vows causes, forcing her to choose between the Avari and Legolas – between Lord and people, between husband and Kin, between lover and loved. Just for now, she desperately wanted to believe that she could separate the two, keep the two spheres separate from each other, but that was an illusion of the most dangerous kind. In the end, everything she did was tied into the fact that she was Avari and her people were depending on her. In the end, even the night with Legolas did not belong to her. It was about binding two people closer together so that two races could come together. Even that brief moment could not be hers. What she did with Legolas inevitably affected their more public relationship as the Prince and the Princess. No matter how much she wished it not to be so – her life, even that portion with Legolas, was about duty, about Honour. It could not be any less.

 

Only what she felt was hers. The way Legolas’ fingers felt against her skin. The softness of his lips against her. The weight of his body pressing into hers. That, not even the Avari could take from her. That alone was hers, only hers. And that is why it was precious. No one could have it and no one ever would.

 

Regulating her voice to its familiar icy pitch Rhinure commanded – something she was so comfortable with, “The Company will ride out at first light. Four elves will stay with me and the rest – including you, Captain – will separate from us and start scouting for a suitable area. Tirnen is to be moved.” Rhinure handed Agorion a map detailing where she wanted him to scout.

 

Agorion blinked, he had been under the impression that Tirnen’s present position was a good defensible one. “Mistress, what is wrong with Tirnen’s current location?”

 

“Nothing except that it is too far from the Woodland Realm for my liking.”

 

“That was one of its attractions in the first place, Mistress.”

 

“And now it is a liability, Captain. Since we are to be working more closely with the Wood-elves, I cannot spare the elves needed to keep the distance between Tirnen and the Realm clear. Bringing Tirnen closer to the Palace will reduce our patrolling area.”

 

Agorion nodded, understanding the motivation between the move. However, “Mistress, it will be easier for the Wood-elves to find us if we move so close to their borders.”

 

“Not necessarily, Captain. The patrol plans I have suggested to King Thranduil, and which I believe he will follow, mean that Wood-elves will rarely come near our territory. They should not stumble on Tirnen.”

 

“But they might,” Istion objected.

 

“Yes, they might. But if need be we will move again to prevent them from finding us. But moving closer conserves our forces until they are needed.” Rhinure paused, taking a moment before continuing more gravely, “Besides, this is the last thing the Lost Ones will expect. I would not have them find us just yet.”

 

Agorion clutched the map tightly, “It will be as you wish, Mistress. Will you oversee the move?”

 

“Yes, I will only return to Mirkwood when we have found Tirnen a new resting place. I have marked a few promising sites. But I will need you to scout the area. Remove any sign of the Fallen. I do not need to tell you that the new site should be defensible against all types of attack. You have become more familiar with the surrounding areas since you have been here. It should not be difficult for you to find a spot that is acceptable and out of the way of the Wood-elves. I believe you are now aware of their general patrolling patterns and methods.”

 

Agorion nodded, a feral gleam in his eye, “Yes, Faelon was most instructive.”

 

“That is fortunate.”

 

“Yes, almost as fortunate as having your company made up of Hunters, Mistress.”

 

“Yes, is not such a coincidence, Captain?” Rhinure’s eyes told Agorion that it was nothing of the sort - things were going to plan. It seemed as if his Mistress had things well in hand.

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Legolas stirred uncomfortably when Anor’s light hit his face and open eyes. He blinked once, twice and then again, arm stretching out to bring Rhinure closer to him. Though not cold, his body protested the lack of warmth by his side. Rhinure must have moved away from him during the night.

 

When his hand only clutched empty air, Legolas’ eyes focused sharply at the space next to him. It was empty – Rhinure had left him.

 

Legolas frowned, sitting up and putting on his shirt. His eyes scanned the area around him, hoping to catch a glimpse of his wife. Where could she be? How could she leave him to wake up alone?

 

Legolas felt a familiar weight settle on his chest again. He had hoped that after last night he and Rhinure had reached some sort of understanding, that they had moved onto the next stage of their relationship – only to have his hopes dashed once again. To wake up alone after a night spend in passion immeasurably cheapened what had happened. The fact that she could not wait to leave him diminished what they had shared.

 

Running his fingers through his hair, Legolas forced himself to remain calm. So, Rhinure had left him. She had probably been uncomfortable on the now wet grass. That had to be it. She had not meant to leave him, as if last night had been something to escape. Legolas was over-reacting. After all, what difference did it make that after making love to his wife for the first time he did not wake to find her in his arms? What difference did it make that the sheets they had consummated their marriage on were cold because of Rhinure’s absence? It should not matter – it could not change what had happened.

 

But it did matter – a lot. Legolas had hoped to wake up with Rhinure in his arms. He had dreamed of rousing her with sweet kisses until she melted in his arms again. He had counted on making love to her once more before they had to return to real life.

 

Even now, the very thought of holding her again, kissing her again, making her shudder again excited Legolas. He wondered if such a reaction was normal for all newlyweds. Did all couples feel this fire in their veins? Legolas smiled at the thought – he was a newlywed today.

 

He quickened his pace, almost running in his haste to greet his wife on this new day.

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

“My Prince, where have you been?” Herenion’s voice forced Legolas to slow down his rapid pace but he did not stop completely.

 

“Communing with nature,” Legolas grinned at his bodyguard, knowing full well that Herenion knew where he had been and what he had been doing.

 

“Well I am surprised at how long this communion took, nín hîr. You missed the Avari departure.”            <My Lord>

 

That stopped Legolas short. “Avari departure?”

 

“Yes, the Princess’ company,” Herenion frowned at Legolas’ expression. It reminded him of an Elfling who had his favourite toy taken away from him. “The company left at first light.”

 

“Was Lady Rhinure with them?” Legolas managed to keep his voice neutral for which he was very grateful.

 

“I do not know but I believe so. Lady Ehtewen rode with the company so I presume Princess Rhinure was with them too.”

 

Legolas managed to nod at Herenion, not sure how to take this news. Rhinure had left without saying goodbye, without informing him that she was leaving. He knew he should be angry at her discourtesy but he was having trouble thinking clearly at this point.

 

“Little one, are you well?”

 

Legolas smiled automatically, “Of course, Herenion. Why should I not be well?”

 

“You do not seem pleased at the news.”

 

“I was just surprised at it. I knew Lady Rhinure was leaving today. I just did not expect it to be so soon.”

 

Herenion nodded at the explanation, which was a weak one at that. It did not explain why Legolas looked slightly dazed as one did when recovering from a particularly nasty blow.

 

Legolas turned to look at Herenion and no longer did the Elfling remain in his eyes. They were the eyes of his Lord – calm, collected – alone. “Did the Avari say where they were going?”

 

“I do not believe so, though Agorion did mention to Faelon that they were returning home. Before you ask, he did not say exactly where that was.”

 

“Did we send an escort with the Avari?”

 

“Lady Ehtewen was most adamant in refusing our escort this time. She did not want more spies watching them than the ones Thranduil had already put on them.”

 

Legolas arched a brow, “Were those her very words?”

 

“Something to that effect. I think I may have lost some of the more politick aspects of the speech in the telling.”

 

“I am sure you have. Where was Lady Rhinure when this conversation was taking place?”

 

“I do not know, my Lord. The rest of the Avari were hooded so I could not tell who was who.”

 

Legolas nodded, speaking softly to himself, “So the Avari have left?”

 

*~ Rhinure this was not well done of you. ~*

 

“My Lord?”

 

“I am tired and not particularly clean. Can you please see that a bath is drawn up for me? I feel the need to bathe at this moment.”

 

“As you wish, my Prince. Though I am not your manservant I will do it just this once.”

 

“For which I will be eternally grateful, Herenion.”

 

“I will hold you to that, little one.”

 

Legolas kept smiling until Herenion turned around. As soon as the older elf had left, the smile fell from Legolas’ face to be replaced by an angry frown.

 

*~ This was not decent of you, my Lady. ~*

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

Fists clenched, Legolas strode into his room. He was sorely tempted to break something, yell at the top of his lungs – anything to rid himself of this rage that had begun to boil inside him. Rage at Rhinure for doing exactly what she had promised not to do again. Rage at her for leaving without telling him. Rage at her for leaving at all.

 

But he did not do anything – he would not give her the satisfaction of making him lose control. Restraint was so important to her, something she always maintained at all costs. He would not do any less – he would not lose to her.

 

He blindly walked into his room, concentrating on putting one step before another. He would not embarrass himself more than she already had.

 

“My Lord?” That not-so-sweet, but ever so familiar tone made Legolas spin around. Sitting in a corner, obviously dressed for travel was Rhinure.

 

“What are you doing here, my Lady?”

 

Rhinure angled her head to one side, not understanding why his tone was so harsh. “Waiting for you, my Lord.”

 

Legolas forced himself to remain calm at that flippant answer, though his knuckles turned white from the strain he put on them. “Your Avari have already left, why are not with them?”

 

The accusation in his voice forced Rhinure out of her chair. She walked towards him, noting how tense he was. “I will join them later, my Lord. They have gone on ahead to secure a camp site where I will meet up with them.”

 

She was so close to him that if Legolas stretched out his arms he would be able to touch her. However, he did not because that would confuse the issue. He was pretty sure that if he touched her right now, he would forgive her the insult she had caused him. “Why did you not leave with them, my Lady?”

 

Rhinure wondered why he did not touch her when last night he could not keep his hands off her. She noted his anger but thought it impolite to bring notice to it. If one was weak enough to show emotion in public then it was the duty of the other to avoid mentioning it – it would needlessly embarrass the person. “I could not, my Lord.”

 

“That does not explain why.”

 

“My Lord – I made a promise to you. I could not leave without informing you of my departure.” Rhinure wondered how Legolas could have forgotten the vow she had made so easily. Did he value it that cheaply?

 

“Why did you not wake me when you left?”

 

“You were asleep, I did not want to disturb you.” Rhinure was more than confused now, she was worried. Why did he look at her with such incredulity? “Legolas, why do you ask me these questions? You must know the answers to them already.” Rhinure stepped closer to him, close enough to tuck a strand of hair behind his ear.

 

Legolas shuddered at the touch of her fingers against his sensitive tip. He had been right, touching her was distracting. “Rhinure, you should have woken me when you left. I did not appreciate waking up alone.”

 

“I do not understand, my Lord. What difference did it make? You were asleep, waking you would have inconvenienced you.”

 

Legolas shook his head, would he ever understand this elleth? She seemed to be genuinely confused. The slightly bewildered expression in her eyes, the tilt of her head as she looked up at him – all of it made Legolas ache. These mood swings that she caused were beginning to alarm him. It was as if she delighted in unbalancing him at every opportunity.

 

“My Lady, I cannot explain it to you. Next time, please just indulge me and wake me up.”

 

Legolas smiled at her and all she could do was nod. “If that is what you wish, my Lord, then I will try to do so.”

 

*~ When will I ever understand this Elf? ~*

 

Legolas and Rhinure looked at each other, unsure about what more to stay. “I should be leaving now, my Lord.”

 

“I suppose you should.”

 

Rhinure wanted to kiss him so badly – one little kiss surely would not hurt. It would not delay her any further. She leaned up and lightly brushed her lips against his. “Goodbye, my Lord.”

 

Winding his arms around her waist, Legolas brought Rhinure closer to him, deepening the kiss. He parted her mouth with his tongue, doing what he had been thinking of since he had awoken. Rhinure responded as eagerly, leaning forward so that she could feel him against her. Legolas’ hands travelled up her back, sinking in her hair so that he could pull her head back slightly. As his mouth travelled down her neck, Rhinure shivered. If she did not stop this now, she would not be able to leave. She had very little resistance around Legolas as it was.

 

“Legolas, I need to leave.”

 

Legolas’ mouth stilled against her skin, though he did not draw back. “I know.”

 

When he made no sign of letting go, Rhinure had to step back herself, quickly. It took all of Legolas’ strength to let her step away but he managed it. He watched her as she quickly neatened her hair back into place. Not a strand was out of place. No one looking at Rhinure would be able to tell that he had just kissed her. For some reason that did not sit well with Legolas. He had this insane urge to mark her so that everyone would know that she was his.

 

Then his eyes fell on her karha, four rings embossed with the Mirkwood seal, glimmering in the early morning light. He had marked her for all to see. Anyone who looked at her hand would know that she belonged to him.

 

“You are mine, Rhinure.” Legolas had to say it – to lend the thought permanence, to make it real.

 

She looked up at him and then at her hand, “Yes, I am.”

 

“You better leave before I try to stop you.”

 

Rhinure walked towards the door quickly. She did not turn to look at Legolas again though he did catch her words, “I will return soon, my Lord.”

 

“Not soon enough, my lady.”

 

  x – x – x – x – x – x – x – x

 

 

A/N: In case you missed it the first time – I wanted to make clear that the Avari are nomadic and therefore the exact spot Tirnen is in changes over time. Trust me it makes a difference.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List