Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To Lasso a Lass  by Mysterious Jedi

To Lasso a Lass
Chapter 2

The year is 1390 (Shire Reckoning). Hamson is twenty-five, Halfred is twenty-one, Daisy is eighteen, May is fourteen, Sam is ten, and Marigold is seven.

Consider them all slightly younger, though, because hobbits age differently from men


Hamson sat down at the dinner table with a bit of a sigh.

“What’s wrong?” his sister May asked. “You were so happy when you went over to the Boffins. What happened?”

“Mr. Boffin doesn’t like the thoughts of a servant hobbit like me courtin’ his daughter.”

“A hobbit who’d name his daughter after a weed oughtn’t be lookin’ down on the likes of us! He’s not even a gentlehobbit!” May exclaimed indignantly.

Hamson chose to forgive his sister for the insult to his Dandelion. She was only fourteen, after all, and just trying to defend her older brother.

“Does Dandelion agree with her da?” his sister Daisy asked.

“No, she’d never think such a thing.” Hamson answered.

“ If you found another line of work, would he let you court his daughter?” Daisy asked.

“Hamson shouldn’t have to change jobs for some crafthobbit!” May declared.

Hamson, however, looked thoughtful. “I’d be changin’ jobs for Dandelion, not her da. Besides, Sam is better at helpin’ in the gardens, even though he’s just ten. Some hobbits are just good at that kind of thing.”

Samwise beamed at this praise from his brother.

****

The next afternoon, Hamson went to Dandelion’s smial once again. This time, when Mr. Boffin came in Hamson had something to say.

“Mr. Boffin, I know that you do not like the idea of a servant hobbit courtin’ your daughter. What if I became a crafthobbit?”

Mr. Boffin stared at him. “If you serve an apprenticeship as a crafthobbit, and if Dandelion still wishes to court you when she is of an age for it, than I will give my consent. I will not, however, offer you an apprenticesip here. You will have to find something else.”


Please review!





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List