Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On Border Patrol  by Manderly

See Chapter 1 for disclaimer

Chapter 3 - Partings

Hesin knocked lightly on the closed door and when bidden, pushed it open and entered the office of the commander of the King's troops.

"You have sent for me, Lord Feren?" he asked, stopping within a few steps of the doorway.

Feren nodded and gestured to a chair. "Thank you for coming. Please sit down."
Hesin watched the other's face carefully, trying to discern from the neutral expression as to why he had been summoned before the commander.

"Let me first apologize for calling you in. I know you are currently on leave. I will try to keep this as brief as possible," Feren said with a smile.

"My time is at your disposal," Hesin said quickly.

"Thank you. I appreciate that." Feren dipped his head slightly. "I understand you have been serving in the eastern patrol for quite some time now and that you are due to return to it by this week's end."

"That is correct, my lord," Hesin replied.

"My brother, Legolas, will be accompanying you on your return, to join the eastern patrol," Feren continued.

"Legolas?" Hesin echoed in obvious surprise. "Is he not serving in the Home Guards?"

"He is, but I believe his skills will better serve the Realm in the border patrols," Feren explained. "You look rather startled. Do you have doubts about him serving in the eastern patrol?"

Hesin shook his head. "I believe the young prince's skills are quite well known among the warriors. Few have doubts about his ability, but if I may be so bold as to point out that he is very young. Is it not customary for young warriors to spend some time in the Home Guards before moving onto other patrols?"

"That is the prevailing rule, certainly, but there have been instances where exceptional young warriors have been assigned to the border patrols, having spent little or no time in the Home Guards," Feren reminded. "And I believe Legolas to be one of those warriors."

Hesin smiled. "And you have good reason to, my lord. It seems rather wasteful for the young prince to remain in the Home Guards when his skills can benefit us so much more elsewhere."

Feren nodded slowly. "It is what I have come to realize as well. It is with that in mind that I have a favour to ask of you, Hesin."

"My lord, I gladly place myself at your disposal," the other elf said hastily.

"Not at my disposal," Feren smiled. "But at Legolas' disposal. I would ask that you keep watch over my brother, and lend him aid in ways that only a seasoned warrior can."

Hesin shot to his feet, looking thoroughly distraught. "Keep watch over him? Do you not remember what happened the last time you asked the same of me? I failed you then, my lord. The young prince nearly died while in my keep. The shame of my failure eats away at me still. I cannot, dare not, accept such a heavy responsibility again."

"I would not have asked this of you if I have the slightest doubt about your capability and loyalty, Hesin," Feren said firmly. "Legolas is very dear to me and I would not chance his safety to just anyone. What happened before was not your fault and you should cease placing blame on yourself. But you know from that past experience that keeping watch over Legolas will not be an easy task."

"My lord, you honour me with your generous words, but I fear I may not live up to your expectations," Hesin continued to protest.

"I know you and Legolas have maintained steadfast contact since your initial encounter and I know my brother places much trust in you," Feren said.

"I owe my life to the young prince. It is not something that I will forget in this lifetime," Hesin said.

Feren's brows creased. "And yet you would refuse what I ask of you."

Hesin looked nearly stricken at the words. "My lord, it is not that I refuse. I would lay my life down for him, but I fear I may once again fail your trust in me."

Feren stood and came around his desk to stand at the other's side. He clasped the older elf's shoulder firmly. "Hesin, you are a seasoned and able warrior. My trust in you remains unhindered, regardless of what has happened in the past."

Hesin drew in a deep breath and bowed. "In that case, then I would be honoured to accept your trust in me, again. I will keep watch over the young prince with my life."

Feren nodded, "Thank you, Hesin. Legolas is in safe hands then." He hesitated briefly before continuing. "I would be obliged if Legolas never learns of what transpired in this room just now. I do not want him to think that it is his ability that I doubt."

Hesin smiled knowingly. "I understand, my lord."

Feren reciprocated the smile. "Than I would ask that you indulge us further with your understanding, as the King wishes to speak with you himself. Do not look so concerned. I suspect he will simply repeat what I have asked of you. Understandably, he harbours great concerns regarding Legolas' safety. Come, he is awaiting us in his library."

xxxxxxxxxxx

Feren nodded briefly to the King and made for the door, leaving Hesin alone with Thranduil.

"Please sit down, Hesin," Thranduil indicated.

Hesin bowed deeply before taking the proffered seat.

"Thank you for agreeing to what Lord Feren has asked of you. Your decision has eased my concerns considerably," Thranduil began.

"I am deeply honoured that both you and Lord Feren place so much trust in my ability," Hesin said humbly. "Especially so since I failed so miserably before to keep Prince Legolas from harm."

"What happened before was an extraordinary series of events," Thranduil said. "The blame lies not with you, but with those who are no longer part of our realm. Dwell on it no further, Hesin."

Hesin dipped his head. "I thank you for your generosity."

"No, it is I who should thank you for agreeing to what we have asked of you," Thranduil corrected. "And I speak these words to you not as your king, but as a father."

"I shall watch over Prince Legolas with my life. This I pledge to you, my lord, with all my heart," Hesin said with uncompromising resolve.

Thranduil nodded. "Your loyalty leaves little for doubt and I am reassured that my son will be in good hands. Legolas, however, grieves yet for Salque and openly deplores the notion that another life should be sacrificed to safeguard his own. I therefore ask that not only you keep my son safe, but that you keep yourself safe as well."

"I understand," Hesin said. "It is a tall order that you ask of me, my lord, and I will do all that within my power to fulfill it. But I am also resolved to protect your son with my life if such need arises, and that is a choice I make willingly, whether you request it or not."

Thranduil regarded the elf before him for a long moment before nodding briefly. "I can say little else but thank you and I hope to the Valar that it will never come to that."

Hesin smiled. "As do I, my lord."

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Do you intend to take your entire chamber with you, Legolas?" Tavaro asked his brother as he surveyed the multiple articles strewn across the other's bed.

Legolas looked at his brother rather helplessly. "I do not know what and how much I need to take with me."

Tavaro laughed. "Perhaps we have all overestimated your ability, Legolas. A true warrior knows exactly how many sets of clean undergarments he needs to pack. You have just failed your first test, little brother."

Legolas threw his brother an exasperated look. "I do not recall having to recite the number of undergarments that a warrior must have in his pack when I swore my oath as a warrior."

"Well, then, I must speak to Adar regarding the wording of the oath. Such item of the utmost importance should be not omitted," Tavaro said, grinning. "Do not look so stricken, Legolas. I will not allow a brother of mine to embark upon patrol duties without a properly packed pack. I shall help you with this task. Now watch and learn."

"Just tell me what I need to bring. I can pack my own things," Legolas protested. "I am not completely helpless."

Tavaro grinned and reached over to tousle his hair. "I know you are not, bratling, but allow me to do this one thing for you. After all, it is not a common day event that a brother of mine sets out on his first patrol."

"It is not my first patrol," Legolas refuted. "I have been a part of the Home Guard patrol for months now."

"Which you and I both know is no comparison to the border patrols," Tavaro said calmly. "Are you excited?"

Legolas nodded enthusiastically and then added, looking suddenly very unsure of himself. "But the prospect also frightens me. What if I am found lacking? What if I become a liability to the other warriors because of my inexperience? What if they do not like me?"

Tavaro set down the tunic that he had been folding and pulled his brother to him briefly. "You will be fine, little brother."

"How can you be so certain?" Legolas asked, clearly not reassured.

"Because I have seen you with your weapons. If I were an orc in the eastern borders, I would be searching for a new abode most diligently, knowing that you are on your way to make my life a total misery." Tavaro said.

Legolas stared at his brother for several seconds before a grin broke across his face. "Thank you, Tavaro. I can always count on you to bring me cheer."
At this moment, there was a light knock on the door and both brothers turned to see Aldeon entering the room.

"Are you here to help me pack as well?" Legolas asked with a smile.

"Do you need help?" Aldeon asked, eyeing the nearly filled pack. "It seems to me that Tavaro has it well under control, but I hope he has left room for this."

Legolas looked at the neatly wrapped bundle in his brother's hand. "What is it?"

"Something to supplement your diet while you are away from home," Aldeon said, smiling. "I know how fond you are of dried fruits, which unfortunately, are not part of the standard fare allotted to warriors on patrol. There should be enough here to last you for quite some time, if you do not overindulge yourself."

Legolas swallowed, feeling a threatening warmth in his eyes. "Thank you, Aldeon."

Aldeon drew him into an embrace. "You are very welcome, Legolas." His arms tightened around the younger elf briefly. "I shall miss you, little one. Please promise me that you will take care."

Legolas nodded, not trusting his voice to speak at the moment. Suddenly he felt overwhelmed with despair at the thought of parting from those that had loved and cherished him from the day that he was brought into this world. For a brief moment, the idea of leaving his home to face all manners of the unknown seemed pure folly and endlessly frightening. Just as quickly, he pushed the thought away with fierce resolution. Tomorrow morning, he would embark upon the journey that he had dreamt of for all his life.

He pulled himself from his brother's arms and smiled with what he hoped to be unquestionable confidence. "Worry not for me, Aldeon. I am a warrior now."

Aldeon regarded him for a long moment and then nodded. "Yes, you are, Legolas."

xxxxxxxxxxx

The chamber was bathed in darkness, but Thranduil needed no light to find his way to his youngest son's bedside, something that he had done countless times before over the years. This night, however, shall be a special night, one that which would be branded into his memory for the rest of his immortal life.

He eased himself gently onto his son's bed and stared at his sleeping child. The mattress accommodated his weight with nary a movement, but the slight disturbance was enough to stir its sleeping occupant. Thranduil reached out and laid a calming hand on his child's youthful brows.

"Sleep, my son," he whispered, the words barely a breath in the night air.

As if sensing the familiar, steady presence of his father, Legolas let out a small, contented sigh and sank deeper into slumber.

Thranduil's hand moved lightly as a moth over his son's silken hair, savouring the familiar feel as he watched the sleeping face of his youngest child. He drank in the fine features greedily, daring not to blink in the fear that the beloved face may disappear should he close his eyes even briefly. It was foolish, of course, but on this night, Thranduil was prepared to set aside all barriers of reason and sense. Tomorrow, Legolas would embark upon his journey into undisputed adulthood, but tonight, this son was his elfling still, and Thranduil intended to cherish every moment of these dark hours.

He allowed his mind to wander, weaving in and out of memories that at times brought a smile to his face and at times, a frown. .... The small delicate bundle placed into his arms by the beaming nursemaid, as light and insubstantial as the spring air. The unsteady toddler, grasping at chairs for support, his cherubic face bursting with guileless mirth as he toddled into his father's waiting arms. A small hand grasping his own with an endearing trust. The look of defiance marring the still childish features while balking at some perceived injustice. The joy and delight on the untouched, youthful face as the slender hands, so like his own, fingered the first bow that had been lovingly carved by the oldest brother. The many endless nights spent at this same bedside, tending to the hurts of this very child.....

"Ai, Legolas, how can you be such endless joy and endless heartache all at once?" Thranduil asked silently. His fingers caressed the smooth skin. "I shall miss you dearly. Return to me safe and whole, my child, for you are precious to me beyond measure."

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List