Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Gardener's Bond  by Mysterious Jedi

Gardener’s Bond

Disclaimer: I don’t own LOTR, and believe it or not there are folks out there who are as obsessed with it as I am or more.

Thanks to Chigger for helping proofread and revise this chapter.

Frodo sighed. Bilbo should have returned from his journey two days ago. He was getting rather bored. Feeling very drowsy, Frodo slipped under the covers of his bed and fell fast asleep. To his own astonishment, he slept through supper, which is a very rare thing for a hobbit to do.

"My head hurts," he thought grimly upon awakening. "I wonder if I’m getting sick." He was not very hungry, so he just fixed himself a piece of toast. As Frodo ate his late dinner Sam Gamgee, the gardener, dropped in for a visit.

"Is Bilbo back yet?" he asked. "I was right sure he’d have been back at Bag End by now."

"No, Sam; I imagine he’s off on some strange adventure." Frodo wearily replied. He had often wondered why Bilbo would want to travel away from the rustic charm of the Shire. Hobbits did not usually leave it much, and so Frodo was naturally a little concerned whenever Bilbo left.

His mild concern was developing into worry. It bothered him that the traveling hobbit didn’t give an accurate return date. It did not help that Frodo was beginning to get a headache. He tried to be inconspicuous as he checked to see if his forehead was warm, but Sam always seemed to notice when a Baggins was uncomfortable.

"Are you all right Mister Frodo?" Sam inquired quickly. "You look a bit feverish. Why don’t you just go on to bed and I’ll bring you something to drink."

"Thanks, Sam, but I think I’ll be fine," replied Frodo. "Do I really look ill?" he thought to himself.

"Well you’d better get to bed just in case. I’ll take care of you, I will. No need to worry. "

"I’m certain that you will," Frodo sighed.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List