Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Gardener's Bond  by Mysterious Jedi

Gardener’s Bond Chapter 7

Thanks to Chigger for Beta reading. 

Old Memories and New Ideas

Despite everyone’s best efforts, Frodo did eventually find out what illness he had. Just as Sam had feared, it stirred up old memories. Although he did not actually remember his parents’ death due to his young age at that time, he did remember all too well growing up without parents in a rather overwhelming hall. It was not a terrible life, but it still left much to be desired.

Flashback

Frodo sighed. All the other lads his age were off eating with their families, but he was stuck at a table all alone in a huge dining hall with hobbits he barely knew. He wondered what his own father and mother had been like.

What would they have thought of me? I’m not big and strong like the other boys. No one seems to take much notice of me. Uncle Saradoc and Aunt Esme are too busy with their own infant. Certainly, they feed me and clothe me. I think they even love me, but the Master of Buckland simply doesn’t have much time to spend with little orphan boys.

Maybe when Merry gets bigger I can play with him. Then they can’t help but notice me.

Perhaps some older hobbit noticed his dismay, for the next night he was invited to eat with his aunt, uncle, and baby cousin. They showed no lack of warmth, and he felt a little better. Still, it did not change the fact that he had no parents of his own. He was surrounded by relatives, but he felt like he was just one of the crowd.

Maybe they just pity me. I’m not really their own. I wish Bilbo Baggins would come for a visit, I have no doubt he loves me for who I am.

End Flashback

Over time, he gained a healthier sense of security, but only when he moved in with Bilbo did he truly feel at home. Even the gardener there seemed to take special notice of him, and they formed a unique gardener’s bond.

 

****

Sam and the healer spent several weary days frantically caring for the two ill hobbits. Merry seemed particularly emotional.

"Pardon my harsh words earlier," said Sam. " I was right upset, I was. I shouldn’t of blamed my own failures on you."

"Failures? Sam you’ve been faithful and helpful and I’ve just been clumsy." Merry looked like he was about to say more, but he was interrupted by a coughing fit.

"Just a bit of spilled water," Sam replied, "no harm done. You’ve been trying to help Mr. Frodo and, the way I see it, that’s as what counts."

Finally, when everyone involved was on the verge of madness, Bilbo returned. "The elves thought it odd that I should leave because Gandalf and I thought they couldn’t help and then return to find out whether they could or not. Nevertheless, I’ve found some news that’s somewhat surprising. First, though, here are the medications for Frodo."

"I hope you have plenty," Sam said, "because now Merry is sick, too."

After they had administered the herbs, the caretakers were ready to hear Bilbo’s peculiar new information.

"It’s almost like a joke," Bilbo said, "because it’s so ridiculous. All these years we thought the illness was caused by swimming in the Brandywine, when it’s actually a result of eating a certain kind of fish. Elrond said the poison could stay inactive for years, and then take effect because of something in the air."

Both healer and gardener were shocked. "I wouldn’t be goin’ near that river even if it doesn’t cause sicknesses," Sam mumbled to himself.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List